Community >> View Thread

Author
Bk Ray


Member Since: Mon Nov 10, 2008
Posts: 6,021



Assume that you have immortality similar to Dorian Grey, you don't age and can heal from damage, immune to disease etc.

Would it be awesome or rubbish?

The first hundred or years or so would be good, but then constantly learning societies new regulations, advancements to ensure you don't end up in a lab somewhere would be weary.

Would thousands of years of knowledge and eperience make up for the small steps evolution produce (probably, as seual selection is overtaking natural selection).

Then figuring out that the planet will eventually be destroyed, but would still be alive would start to get on your mind, as would seeing everyone you know die. It would be a very lonely life.

The effects on memory could be bad, as current memories are automatically scaled to long term memory and autobiographical, it would appear that the older you get the speed of current events would be quicker and quicker.

It would be pretty cool to be a master of all human knowledge (or thereabouts).



Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 10
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 937



    Quote:

    Assume that you have immortality similar to Dorian Grey, you don't age and can heal from damage, immune to disease etc.



    Quote:
    Would it be awesome or rubbish?



    Quote:
    The first hundred or years or so would be good, but then constantly learning societies new regulations, advancements to ensure you don't end up in a lab somewhere would be weary.



    Quote:
    Would thousands of years of knowledge and eperience make up for the small steps evolution produce (probably, as seual selection is overtaking natural selection).



    Quote:
    Then figuring out that the planet will eventually be destroyed, but would still be alive would start to get on your mind, as would seeing everyone you know die. It would be a very lonely life.



    Quote:
    The effects on memory could be bad, as current memories are automatically scaled to long term memory and autobiographical, it would appear that the older you get the speed of current events would be quicker and quicker.



    Quote:
    It would be pretty cool to be a master of all human knowledge (or thereabouts).


Immortality with an out of it becomes too much to bear.
A lot of downsides to be sure...but far more upsides.
You probably wont heal from a meteor landing on you or jumping into a volcano...so if humans wipe themselves out you can join them.
In the meantime...you could be mastering so many fields of knowledge.


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 10
fearcalypse 

INfinity and BEyond

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 3,126


If i was immortal my biggest fear would probably be being buried alive. Can you imagine being in a cave (or somewhere else that could bury you) exploring and it collapses? You could be there for thousands of years.

Then we have the issue of memory retention. I've heard the human brain can hold about 500 years worth of life experiences.

To answer the question, i think it would be cool for a while, but the option for an out would definitely be a requirement.






“James told me there’s an old saying here on Earth: ‘May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you’re dead.’ Not sure if Turian heaven is the same as yours, but if this thing goes sideways and we both end up there…meet me at the bar.”


Legion: "They will exterminate your species because their gods tell them to. You cannot negotiate with them. They do not share your pity, remorse, or fear."
Posted with Google Chrome 56.0.2924.87 on Linux
Bootch 

Maintainer

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,330


I think being immortal would be a Hellish existence. Imagine being the only constant in a changing world. Ugh.

I can't see that the human ego would hold up well to it, either. The weight of your own history, memories, nostalgia, and grief would be crushing.

The idea of immortality is way more terrifying than death.






Posted with Google Chrome 59.0.3071.134 on Linux
Rehzon


Location: Red Forest, Chernobyl
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 8,620



Human imagination and its pale version of immortality. Wouldn't want that. \:\)





Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 10
seeker


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,771


It would depend on some details. Mainly I would want an out since after three or four centuries or certain circumstances I would want it over.


    Quote:

    Assume that you have immortality similar to Dorian Grey, you don't age and can heal from damage, immune to disease etc.



    Quote:
    Would it be awesome or rubbish?


Depends on some details.


    Quote:
    The first hundred or years or so would be good, but then constantly learning societies new regulations, advancements to ensure you don't end up in a lab somewhere would be weary.


This would be one of the negatives.


    Quote:
    Would thousands of years of knowledge and eperience make up for the small steps evolution produce (probably, as seual selection is overtaking natural selection).


Would I be able to remember or have any recollection of it at all? If I could only remember the last few centuries at best then living beyond that starts to look less appealing.


    Quote:
    Then figuring out that the planet will eventually be destroyed, but would still be alive would start to get on your mind, as would seeing everyone you know die. It would be a very lonely life.


Do you mean billions of years from now? Yes, that form of immortality would suck. Along with if the world changed too much and I was all alone.


    Quote:
    The effects on memory could be bad, as current memories are automatically scaled to long term memory and autobiographical, it would appear that the older you get the speed of current events would be quicker and quicker.



    Quote:
    It would be pretty cool to be a master of all human knowledge (or thereabouts).


I watched a 2007 film called A Man From Earth about a caveman who was born immortal and lived and adapted through 15,000 years of history.  One detail he emphasizes is it is impossible in the modern age to be a master of all human knowledge mainly because it is expanding so much in so many different fields. 

I think it would be a nice thing to have for a while at least.   To do all the things we don't ever feel we hae time to do since we spend so much time trying to survive. 

However, one big thing for me would to make sure my mind is adjusted for immortality.   I would not want to go insane or borded with life after a few centuries and then be stuck with it.  Nor would I want to get too disconnected from my fellow man nor lack empathy. 

Now that I think of it, certain teachings of Buddhism or mindfulness would be real useful for an immortal.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 54.0 on MacOS X
The Black Guardian

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 21,262




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 55.0 on Windows 10
The Black Guardian

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 21,262



    Quote:
    Assume that you have immortality similar to Dorian Grey, you don't age and can heal from damage, immune to disease etc.

    Would it be awesome or rubbish?

Yes. Both.


    Quote:
    The first hundred or years or so would be good, but then constantly learning societies new regulations, advancements to ensure you don't end up in a lab somewhere would be weary.

Of course, it depends on which direction society goes. Since the Renaissance, I think there's been steady improvement in the West. And I'm an optimist, so I don't really see an apocalypse coming.

And yes, remember the old 60s TV series The Immortal-- his life was a wreck for people hounding him for the secret. You'd have to move around a lot, and I'm not really cool with that part. But I'd have to learn to adapt for comfortable survival, right?


    Quote:
    Would thousands of years of knowledge and eperience make up for the small steps evolution produce (probably, as seual selection is overtaking natural selection).

    Then figuring out that the planet will eventually be destroyed, but would still be alive would start to get on your mind, as would seeing everyone you know die. It would be a very lonely life.

Well, yes, I don't think anyone would want to live that long. There needs to be some kind of out. Even Dorian Gray was screwed if his portrait was damaged. What exactly are the limits of your immortal body? Do you need air, water, food? If you starve, do you still feel the pain of it? Or are you like a vampire without the need for blood?


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 55.0 on Windows 10
Bk Ray


Member Since: Mon Nov 10, 2008
Posts: 6,021




    Quote:

      Quote:
      Assume that you have immortality similar to Dorian Grey, you don't age and can heal from damage, immune to disease etc.



      Quote:
      Would it be awesome or rubbish?

    Yes. Both.



    Quote:

      Quote:
      The first hundred or years or so would be good, but then constantly learning societies new regulations, advancements to ensure you don't end up in a lab somewhere would be weary.

    Of course, it depends on which direction society goes. Since the Renaissance, I think there's been steady improvement in the West. And I'm an optimist, so I don't really see an apocalypse coming.



    Quote:
    And yes, remember the old 60s TV series The Immortal-- his life was a wreck for people hounding him for the secret. You'd have to move around a lot, and I'm not really cool with that part. But I'd have to learn to adapt for comfortable survival, right?



    Quote:

      Quote:
      Would thousands of years of knowledge and eperience make up for the small steps evolution produce (probably, as seual selection is overtaking natural selection).



      Quote:
      Then figuring out that the planet will eventually be destroyed, but would still be alive would start to get on your mind, as would seeing everyone you know die. It would be a very lonely life.

    Well, yes, I don't think anyone would want to live that long. There needs to be some kind of out. Even Dorian Gray was screwed if his portrait was damaged. What exactly are the limits of your immortal body? Do you need air, water, food? If you starve, do you still feel the pain of it? Or are you like a vampire without the need for blood?


Yes, in this scenario, there is no out. Say, you possess a healing factor, so if you get shot you get a hole, but it heals, if you get your arm cut it grows back pretty quickly.

You have no physical need for air or food, but you still get psychologically hungry and feel short of breath.

You are not sure if going in a volcano would kill you, entrap you in lava with continuous burning pain. Same as being hit at ground zero by a nuke, you suspect you will be fine.

We will say you know you are immune to disease and probably radiation.

No out, unless you can figure one out. No special weakness to paintings or silver bullets etc.





Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 10
Bk Ray


Member Since: Mon Nov 10, 2008
Posts: 6,021



that sounds an interesting film, I'll check it out



Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 10
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 937


As for limits on ones memory...there are some factors of course.

To be immortal though something would have to change with how your body works...seems like your brain might gain more storage as well.


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 937


Then I am not sure anyone would want this. Since if the Earth explodes floating in space would suck or being stuck on what remains of a destroyed earth. Also at Heat Death of the Universe...still being around would suck donkey you know what.


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
Bk Ray


Member Since: Mon Nov 10, 2008
Posts: 6,021




    Quote:
    Then I am not sure anyone would want this. Since if the Earth explodes floating in space would suck or being stuck on what remains of a destroyed earth. Also at Heat Death of the Universe...still being around would suck donkey you know what.


True, but you have a few billion years - can you figure something out?



Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 10
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 937



    Quote:


      Quote:
      Then I am not sure anyone would want this. Since if the Earth explodes floating in space would suck or being stuck on what remains of a destroyed earth. Also at Heat Death of the Universe...still being around would suck donkey you know what.



    Quote:
    True, but you have a few billion years - can you figure something out?


Only if I become the next Gallactus ;P


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
Unstable Molecule


Location: Calgary, AB Canada
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 2,687


I would only want this type of immortality if I knew I could voluntarily die if I wanted to (like a vampire going into the sun). Otherwise the horror of it would drive me crazy. Imagine if you were buried alive and stayed that way for thousands of years - or even forever!

There was a character in Neil Gaiman's Sandman that was granted immortality experimentally. Every 100 years, Morpheus would visit him and ask if he wanted to end the experiment (die). He never did, even in the worst of times. But he always had the option. That's the way I would accept immortality.




And a lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, with great power there must also come -- great responsibility!
Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 10
Rehzon


Location: Red Forest, Chernobyl
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 8,620



In the future, you take the gift, there's no getting out of it.



Posted with Samsung Mobile MMB29K on Linux
zvelf


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 8,288



    Quote:
    I would only want this type of immortality if I knew I could voluntarily die if I wanted to (like a vampire going into the sun). Otherwise the horror of it would drive me crazy. Imagine if you were buried alive and stayed that way for thousands of years - or even forever!


Exactly, immortality without end is infinitely worse than "only" living one life time. Eventually the Earth and the human race will die and that leaves you with an eternity of boredom drifting through space. What good is, let's say, a billion years of a good life if you're stuck with an infinite number of years of a bad life too?



Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2017 Powermad Software