Fantastic Four: TWGCM >> View Thread

Author
Comicguy1


Member Since: Tue Apr 04, 2017
Posts: 1,275


I mean, of all time. I'm going with killing Valeria (Speaking of, how did he lose her/the armor?) and or sending Franklin to literal Hell. He also kidnapped Franklin and offered his soul for his mother's, that was pretty bad too, although that MIGHT have been a Doombot (It did happen before Siminson's run.). Didn't he also brainwash Kristoff at one point? Doom hasn't done too many truly horrific things (At least compared to the Joker or Norman Osborn.), but those were pretty dang bad.


Posted with Google Chrome 48.0.2564.116 on Windows 10
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,689




    Quote:
    I mean, of all time. I'm going with killing Valeria (Speaking of, how did he lose her/the armor?) and or sending Franklin to literal Hell. He also kidnapped Franklin and offered his soul for his mother's, that was pretty bad too, although that MIGHT have been a Doombot (It did happen before Siminson's run.). Didn't he also brainwash Kristoff at one point? Doom hasn't done too many truly horrific things (At least compared to the Joker or Norman Osborn.), but those were pretty dang bad.


Going to the home of an elderly Latverian couple and demanding sex from their teenage daughter in Super Villain Team Up.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 58.0 on Windows 10
CyberCoyote-=^..^-= 

Moderator

Location: The Negative Zone
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 4,348


Worse than murdering and wearing the skin of his supposed true love?




Pull List: Fantastic Four-Savage Dragon-TCopperhead-The Terrifics-X-Men Gold(trade)-Immortal Hulk-Amazing Spider-Man-Capt America-Dr Strange-Iron Man-Champions
Posted with Google Chrome 63.0.3239.132 on Windows 10
America's Captain 

Maintainer

Location: Bayville New Jersey
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,743



    Quote:
    Going to the home of an elderly Latverian couple and demanding sex from their teenage daughter in Super Villain Team Up.


Steve Englehart again. Some weird and unpleasant stories were written under his pen.
Doom & Gretchen

I'm surprised this story made it past the Comics Code Authority censors.

In case anyone doesn't know, there was in fact an ancient European tradition of nobles having the right to have sex with any virgin of their choosing in the territory they ruled, especially on the virgin's wedding night. It was called droit du seigneur in French, which is the same phrase Doom utters in the story referenced above. But no firm evidence exists of any noble actually exercising this right. I tend to think it would have caused him major problems, especially if the girls got pregnant.

I don't like this sort of thing appearing in comic books. But I'm a prude to that extent. I want my comics full of violence and utterly lacking in sex.






Posted with Google Chrome 63.0.3239.132 on Windows 10
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,689




    Quote:
    Worse than murdering and wearing the skin of his supposed true love?


Oh sure. Love makes you do stupid things.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 58.0 on Windows 7
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,689





    Quote:
    Steve Englehart again. Some weird and unpleasant stories were written under his pen.


You know I'm really not that fond of him either. He writes a lot of bad stuff.

1. Crystal's affair
2. Scarlet Witch having children with a robot using witchcraft
3. Mockingbird being raped and Hawkeye not taking her side when she let the rapist fall off a cliff
4. Everything Mantis related...including her mating with a tree.
5. Retconning/implying Shary was gang raped by the Power Broker's men (did NOT happen in the earlier Cap story)
6. The Vision is the Torch stuff
7. The Falcon Snap Wilson retcon (basically he revealed Sam was a pimp)


My personal theory has always been that Englehart was raised in a cave and has never actually met a woman before. His writing for female characters is awful.






Posted with Mozilla Firefox 58.0 on Windows 7
CyberCoyote-=^..^-= 

Moderator

Location: The Negative Zone
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 4,348






Pull List: Fantastic Four-Savage Dragon-TCopperhead-The Terrifics-X-Men Gold(trade)-Immortal Hulk-Amazing Spider-Man-Capt America-Dr Strange-Iron Man-Champions
Posted with Google Chrome 64.0.3282.137 on Linux
Count Dante


Location: Ad Pages in Old Comics
Member Since: Wed Aug 21, 2013
Posts: 3,215


So Doom "Silence of the Lamb"'ed her?




"Deadliest Comic Book Reader Alive!"
Posted with Google Chrome 63.0.3239.132 on Windows 10
CyberCoyote-=^..^-= 

Moderator

Location: The Negative Zone
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 4,348


But with magic. He found her, told her he was changing his ways, then burned her as a sacrifice to demons in exchange for mystical power. Her flesh peeled from her bones and formed his new Buffalo Bill armor.





Pull List: Fantastic Four-Savage Dragon-TCopperhead-The Terrifics-X-Men Gold(trade)-Immortal Hulk-Amazing Spider-Man-Capt America-Dr Strange-Iron Man-Champions
Posted with Google Chrome 64.0.3282.137 on Linux
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,689




    Quote:
    So Doom "Silence of the Lamb"'ed her?


It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 58.0 on Windows 7
Iron Maiden 

Manager

Member Since: Sun Nov 02, 2003
Posts: 4,867



    Quote:



    Quote:

      Quote:
      Steve Englehart again. Some weird and unpleasant stories were written under his pen.



    Quote:
    You know I'm really not that fond of him either. He writes a lot of bad stuff.



    Quote:
    1. Crystal's affair
    2. Scarlet Witch having children with a robot using witchcraft
    3. Mockingbird being raped and Hawkeye not taking her side when she let the rapist fall off a cliff
    4. Everything Mantis related...including her mating with a tree.
    5. Retconning/implying Shary was gang raped by the Power Broker's men (did NOT happen in the earlier Cap story)
    6. The Vision is the Torch stuff
    7. The Falcon Snap Wilson retcon (basically he revealed Sam was a pimp)



    Quote:

    My personal theory has always been that Englehart was raised in a cave and has never actually met a woman before. His writing for female characters is awful.



    Quote:



I remember reading his stuff back in the day and truth to tell, his Fantastic Four run is when I gave up comics for a long time.

You're forgetting a few more weird things he did and this one merited a column on its own by Brian Cronin on CBR. Englehart made Pietro into a wild-eyed super-villain and even when other writers repaired the damage and tried to fix things, Englehart went right back to it.

Link to article: https://www.cbr.com/the-abandoned-an-forsaked-why-was-quicksilver-such-a-crazy-supervillain-during-the-1980s/

IIRC We see him first going all wacko during Englehart's Fantastic Four run.



This would continue for a while but this is enough for the purposes of this thread without derailing it too much.

Another Steve Englehart bit of ickiness occurs in Doctor Strange where Clea is seduced by....Ben Franklin. Marvel had that one reversed pretty quick though by Marv Wolfman in the next issue (Doctor Strange #18 and #19) I think Englehart might have the record for stories that ended up being by "fixed" by other writers. It's just kind of odd that they got printed in the first place.



Posted with Google Chrome 63.0.3239.132 on Windows 10
Jim Mc


Member Since: Sun Jan 20, 2013
Posts: 1,027


In addition to all of the other items listed in this thread, he's also:

Cloned himself, called his clone his "son", then killed his son when the clone realized what a monster dear old dad was.

Killed Cassie Lang. Bringing her back to life doesn't get him off the hook.

May have caused Avengers Disassembled by manipulating Wanda.

Experimented with drugs on Yancy Street kids for some reason

When ruling Battleworld tossed anyone who disagreed with him over wall to be devoured by zombies and ultrons.

Wrote a fake diary allegedly written by Reed that made the other team members distrust Reed.

Dissected live Asgardians for fun

When Loki was a woman Doom fantasized about her being part of his harem. Not necessarily an evil thing, but interesting.


Posted with Google Chrome 57.0.2987.133 on Windows 10
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,689






    Quote:
    Another Steve Englehart bit of ickiness occurs in Doctor Strange where Clea is seduced by....Ben Franklin. Marvel had that one reversed pretty quick though by Marv Wolfman in the next issue (Doctor Strange #18 and #19) I think Englehart might have the record for stories that ended up being by "fixed" by other writers. It's just kind of add that they got printed in the first place.


I think that was re-retconned into being true. Dr. Strange brought it up to Ben Franklin's ghost in a Deadpool issue.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 58.0 on Windows 7
bd2999


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 16,121


I have heard of the right before. I have to imagine it would be hard to figure if they officially invoked it depending on the level of noble. Having your way with somebody was probably something that could be covered up as needed. With the clear classes and such.




Look Raist bunnies...
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 58.0 on Windows 7
TomCorsi


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 696


And it's canon


Posted with Apple iPhone 10.0

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2018 Powermad Software