X-Universe >> View Thread

Author
America's Captain 

Maintainer

Location: Bayville New Jersey
Member Since: Mon Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 9,532


This is similar to the thread about what ten things you hate the most about the X-Men lately (or however that was phrased). But much more restricted as to options.

You can go back to any publishing year between 1963 and 2017. (1963 is the year the X-Men first appeared.) Whatever year you pick, the stories that were published up to December of that year are still in continuity - but all of the stories that were published subsequent to December of that year never happened. So if you pick 1963, issues 1-4 of the original X-Men title will remain as still having happened - but everything after issue 4 goes up in a puff of smoke and will never be referenced again in any comic book forever.

What year do you pick? 2000? If you pick 2000, then the Morrison era (which began in 2001) never happened, nor anything following it.

Or maybe you want to pick some year in the 90s. You could pick 1989 and wipe out all of the 90s and all of this century - or maybe 1995 and wipe out Onslaught and everything after it.

I've been an on-again off-again reader of the X-Universe so I don't personally have a really good answer, although I certainly, without hesitation, would endorse the choice of year 2000, to wipe out every X-story published in this century. I'm sure some good stuff would be lost, but oh my God the amount of dreck that would be vaporized! And I say that, despite having actually enjoyed the recent X-Men/Inhumans cross-over - which probably I only enjoyed because I was entirely oblivious to the umpteen continuity errors. I also was pretty OK with the Blue and Gold books for a while, though I finally got bored with them both, I think mainly because Secret Empire interrupted things and all momentum (for me) was lost. I would sacrifice the good to get rid of the accursed dreck!

How about you?






Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 10
The Black Guardian 

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 20,547


2001. Most things Post-Morrison just don't feel right to me. Getting rid of the Legacy Virus was the last truly good thing that happened, except for the whole Colossus sacrifice thing.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 55.0 on Windows 10
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,394




    Quote:
    This is similar to the thread about what ten things you hate the most about the X-Men lately (or however that was phrased). But much more restricted as to options.



    Quote:
    You can go back to any publishing year between 1963 and 2017. (1963 is the year the X-Men first appeared.) Whatever year you pick, the stories that were published up to December of that year are still in continuity - but all of the stories that were published subsequent to December of that year never happened. So if you pick 1963, issues 1-4 of the original X-Men title will remain as still having happened - but everything after issue 4 goes up in a puff of smoke and will never be referenced again in any comic book forever.

    What year do you pick? 2000? If you pick 2000, then the Morrison era (which began in 2001) never happened, nor anything following it.



    Quote:
    Or maybe you want to pick some year in the 90s. You could pick 1989 and wipe out all of the 90s and all of this century - or maybe 1995 and wipe out Onslaught and everything after it.



    Quote:
    I've been an on-again off-again reader of the X-Universe so I don't personally have a really good answer, although I certainly, without hesitation, would endorse the choice of year 2000, to wipe out every X-story published in this century. I'm sure some good stuff would be lost, but oh my God the amount of dreck that would be vaporized! And I say that, despite having actually enjoyed the recent X-Men/Inhumans cross-over - which probably I only enjoyed because I was entirely oblivious to the umpteen continuity errors. I also was pretty OK with the Blue and Gold books for a while, though I finally got bored with them both, I think mainly because Secret Empire interrupted things and all momentum (for me) was lost. I would sacrifice the good to get rid of the accursed dreck!


To right before Wolverine's metal skeleton got ripped out.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 55.0 on Windows 7
Grey Gargoyle


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,170




Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
D. Strange


Member Since: Tue Sep 19, 2017
Posts: 19


Because I would never want to give up Peter David's second X-Factor run, so in that case, I would say the second that last issue's lat page hit the printer.

I think it is the closest we will ever get to Claremon't golden age, again.

If it is JUST the X-Men, I would say, some time before the whole mansion became a school with a large number of students (Morrison, I suppose).

That never worked for me, and to this day I want any X-Man to say,

"Look, I didn't sign up to teach Algebra to teenagers, I signed up to be a superhero... and maybe some pro-mutant P.R.. For that sake, I don't think any of us have teaching licenses or degrees. And our mansion gets attacked or destroyed by Sentinels, super-villains, or intergalactic warriors every other week, WHY DO WE HAVE KIDS HERE!? We're going to go to prison."


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 52.0 on Windows Vista
America's Captain 

Maintainer

Location: Bayville New Jersey
Member Since: Mon Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 9,532



    Quote:
    Because I would never want to give up Peter David's second X-Factor run, so in that case, I would say the second that last issue's lat page hit the printer.


I was thinking just the actual "X-Men" titles and minis. Because I too have a super-favorite mutant-oriented book from the 21st century: Fabian Nicieza's Cable & Deadpool. I'm reading the Omnibus right now and falling in love all over again.

But yeah, I can see how certain things just wouldn't make sense. For one thing, the vomit-alicious House of M was referenced in an important way by my super-favorite Fabian book. Take the former away and the latter will have a significant hole in it.


    Quote:
    I think it is the closest we will ever get to Claremon't golden age, again.


Speaking of clones - which nobody was - Marvel should have cloned Chris Claremont and trained the clone from an early age to write comics.


    Quote:
    If it is JUST the X-Men, I would say, some time before the whole mansion became a school with a large number of students (Morrison, I suppose).


Wait. The mansion wasn't a school before Morrison? Really? To Wikipedia, Batman!
Generation X

Ok - no - the Massachusetts school was a 1994 thing. Emma was schoolmarm. Scott Lobdell was the writer.


    Quote:
    That never worked for me, and to this day I want any X-Man to say,



    Quote:
    "Look, I didn't sign up to teach Algebra to teenagers, I signed up to be a superhero... and maybe some pro-mutant P.R.. For that sake, I don't think any of us have teaching licenses or degrees. And our mansion gets attacked or destroyed by Sentinels, super-villains, or intergalactic warriors every other week, WHY DO WE HAVE KIDS HERE!? We're going to go to prison."


Somehow it seemed normal to me. I mean, Professor X was teaching academic subjects to the Original Five back in the day - wasn't he?







Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 10
D. Strange


Member Since: Tue Sep 19, 2017
Posts: 19


Yeah but Claremont left comics in the 90s, that wasn't the best time for Marvel and clones.

So since that didn't pan out, i say try to make him editor of tech X-line.

I admit part of my problem with the large school aspect is that a0 every X-Man seems to have been drafted into teaching and b) I don't like big casts.

Just have the X-men operating away from the school like in the 80s with the New Mutants and X-men.

I also miss that outlaw mentality they used to have. When they are basically a community they seem establishment. Which seems like a strange complaint, but I think Marvel does outsider characters so well.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 52.0 on Windows Vista
America's Captain 

Maintainer

Location: Bayville New Jersey
Member Since: Mon Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 9,532



    Quote:
    I admit part of my problem with the large school aspect is that a) every X-Man seems to have been drafted into teaching and b) I don't like big casts.


Yeah, the last thing I ever wanted to see was Wolverine teaching history, and yeah, big casts where most of the faces are just that (faces, nothing more) are a waste of story space.


    Quote:
    Just have the X-men operating away from the school like in the 80s with the New Mutants and X-men.


I agree completely. The students at the school should not even know there's any connection with the X-Men - and certainly the outside world shouldn't. Otherwise the Sentinels will always make the school their first stop.

Why have the school at all? The school was Professor X's day job. He was teaching mutants how to manage their powers and also how to be good and productive citizens. That was Xavier's dream in a nutshell. The school was a far closer approximation of his dream than the X-Men ever were or could ever have been. In Professor X's perfect world, the X-Men wouldn't exist, because they wouldn't need to. But the school would exist forever.

So yes - keep the X-Men and the school as separate as possible. Heck, put the X-Men on the moon.


    Quote:
    I also miss that outlaw mentality they used to have. When they are basically a community they seem establishment. Which seems like a strange complaint, but I think Marvel does outsider characters so well.


I agree here too. The X-Men should at least be outCASTS if not outLAWS,






Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 10
zvelf


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,910



    Quote:
    You can go back to any publishing year between 1963 and 2017. (1963 is the year the X-Men first appeared.) Whatever year you pick, the stories that were published up to December of that year are still in continuity - but all of the stories that were published subsequent to December of that year never happened. So if you pick 1963, issues 1-4 of the original X-Men title will remain as still having happened - but everything after issue 4 goes up in a puff of smoke and will never be referenced again in any comic book forever.

    What year do you pick? 2000? If you pick 2000, then the Morrison era (which began in 2001) never happened, nor anything following it.



    Quote:
    Or maybe you want to pick some year in the 90s. You could pick 1989 and wipe out all of the 90s and all of this century - or maybe 1995 and wipe out Onslaught and everything after it.


Wiping out Onslaught and everything after it is my vote! Granted, I stopped buying X-Men regularly by 1990, but some stories were still fine after that. Not Onslaught though. 1995 had the first and only good Age of Apocalypse story. After that, the bad outweighed the good, especially Austen and Morrison's runs. I am tempted though to wipe out everything since X-Factor #1 as Jean should never have been brought back in that way.




Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2017 Powermad Software