X-Universe >> View Thread

Author
Grey Gargoyle


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,510


https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/k-town/8094181/marvel-k-pop-superhero-luna-snow

I hope that they had no headache during the brainstorming.

For a change, couldn't they have tried to give a new character different powers ?


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,671




    Quote:
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/k-town/8094181/marvel-k-pop-superhero-luna-snow



    Quote:
    I hope that they had no headache during the brainstorming.


They tried calling her Yellow Snow but it didn't score well with the focus group for a variety of reasons...



    Quote:
    For a change, couldn't they have tried to give a new character different powers ?








Posted with Mozilla Firefox 57.0 on Windows 7
The Black Guardian 

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 25,078



    Quote:
    https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/k-town/8094181/marvel-k-pop-superhero-luna-snow



    Quote:
    I hope that they had no headache during the brainstorming.



    Quote:
    For a change, couldn't they have tried to give a new character different powers ?

No thanks. "Different powers" generally means boring. It's always best to stick with the iconic powers.

Making her a pop star doesn't make her Dazzler any more than a reporter character being Superman. Frankly, if you want to create a big Korean superhero, you'd be better off with a female K-Pop star than anything else. Ice powers really doesn't make her Iceman, either.

However, this really, really, really doesn't matter for the general American or European fan. This is about Korea, and if you're not Korean, you're irrelevant to this.

This really doesn't have anything to do with X-Men. So why did you post it here?


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 57.0 on Windows 10
Grey Gargoyle


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,510



    Quote:
    This really doesn't have anything to do with X-Men. So why did you post it here?


Even though she is no mutant, she instantly reminded me Iceman & Dazzler (I could have thought about Lila Cheney too).

I am sincerely sorry. I didn't want to post an OT message. \:\-\(


    Quote:
    "Different powers" generally means boring. It's always best to stick with the iconic powers.


Yes but I think that cryokinesis is very generic. With fire & electricity, it is one of the most overused superpowers ever.


    Quote:
    Making her a pop star doesn't make her Dazzler any more than a reporter character being Superman.


No but I think that it is cliche & superficial to immediately associate Korea with K-Pop, idols & lolitas.
(thus, my comment about no headache during the brainstorming session)

Couldn't they have gathered information about Korean classic mythology, for example, and tried to make a character based upon it ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Korean_mythology
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Korean_folklore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Korean_legendary_creatures


I think that it was a good idea to create a female Korean superhero for the Marvel Future game (maybe, she could have become a character of the Marvel Universe, after that ? It already happened to Firestar ... who, granted, had a generic heat-based power. Still, in the comics, they made her power more original by explaining that, actually, it is based on microwave).

Still, sometimes, I'd like the writers to be more imaginative.


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
The Black Guardian 

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 25,078



    Quote:

      Quote:
      "Different powers" generally means boring. It's always best to stick with the iconic powers.



    Quote:
    Yes but I think that cryokinesis is very generic. With fire & electricity, it is one of the most overused superpowers ever.

Yes. Marvel (the publisher) just created a pair of Chinese twins in 2012: Coldmoon and Dragonfire. Grand total of 1 appearance, in the Point One issue. At least with Luna Snow, she's just for a video game. Even if she never appears outside of the game, she's made it as far as intended.


    Quote:

      Quote:
      Making her a pop star doesn't make her Dazzler any more than a reporter character being Superman.



    Quote:
    No but I think that it is cliche & superficial to immediately associate Korea with K-Pop, idols & lolitas.
    (thus, my comment about no headache during the brainstorming session)



    Quote:
    Couldn't they have gathered information about Korean classic mythology, for example, and tried to make a character based upon it ?

Well, they've been there and done that. Have you forgotten about White Fox already, the first Korean Avenger (that's never actually been an Avenger in the books)? ;\) She is a Kumiho, mythical Korean shapeshifting 9-tailed fox. She was in a Korean webtoon (Avengers: Electric Rain). She actually made it into some books and was in most of the recent Contest of Champions.

And the counter argument to this is that using mythology is cliche, as well.

But this is for a video game, catering mostly to young people. So, why not a popstar? Yes, every time I see a kid with dreams of stardom (either entertainment or pro-athlete) part of me dies a little. It's cool to have a talent and desire, but how about some other dreams: STEM-related, astronaut, pilot, cop, fireman, heck even a lawyer (it makes me sad Dazzler turned down being a lawyer to be a popstar)? At least Luna Snow doesn't have some sort of entertainment-based power, although I'm sure she'll find some entertainment application for ice sculptures.

I've also heard that ice sculptures are a bit of an Asian zeitgeist. They've been really huge in China; not sure about Korea. This might have something to do with her power.

Does her being a popstar even matter for the game or is it just part of her backstory? Does she give missions for you to be her roadie or bouncer/bodyguard? Back up singer? Musician? I'm betting it's just to give her some flavour. Champions Online has a singer superhero character: Sapphire. I'm not sure she ever actually does anything but look pretty during some events and maybe get kidnapped a time or three. I'm betting Luna Snow isn't much different.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 57.0 on Windows 10
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,671




    Quote:

      Quote:
      This really doesn't have anything to do with X-Men. So why did you post it here?



    Quote:
    Even though she is no mutant, she instantly reminded me Iceman & Dazzler (I could have thought about Lila Cheney too).



    Quote:
    I am sincerely sorry. I didn't want to post an OT message. \:\-\(



    Quote:

      Quote:
      "Different powers" generally means boring. It's always best to stick with the iconic powers.



    Quote:
    Yes but I think that cryokinesis is very generic. With fire & electricity, it is one of the most overused superpowers ever.



    Quote:

      Quote:
      Making her a pop star doesn't make her Dazzler any more than a reporter character being Superman.



    Quote:
    No but I think that it is cliche & superficial to immediately associate Korea with K-Pop, idols & lolitas.
    (thus, my comment about no headache during the brainstorming session)






    Quote:

    I think that it was a good idea to create a female Korean superhero for the Marvel Future game (maybe, she could have become a character of the Marvel Universe, after that ? It already happened to Firestar ... who, granted, had a generic heat-based power. Still, in the comics, they made her power more original by explaining that, actually, it is based on microwave).



    Quote:
    Still, sometimes, I'd like the writers to be more imaginative.


Wasn't Marvel supposed to introduce a Korean character based on the mythological nine tailed foxes? I could have sworn I read an article years ago saying they were introducing a female character connected to them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumiho
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 57.0 on Windows 7
The Black Guardian 

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 25,078


Heh. Literally just beat you to that. Yes, it was White Fox. She was in the recent Contest of Champions.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 57.0 on Windows 10
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,671




    Quote:
    Heh. Literally just beat you to that. Yes, it was White Fox. She was in the recent Contest of Champions.


ah. For some reason I thought the White Fox character was intended to join the Avengers.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 57.0 on Windows 7
The Black Guardian 

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 25,078


She first appeared in the Korean webtoon/comic Avengers: Electric Rain. I think she may have some nebulous Avengers status in that, but she's never made it into an American Avengers book. I think she's also had cameos in Deadpool and Totally Awesome Hulk.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 57.0 on Windows 10
Grey Gargoyle


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,510



    Quote:
    Have you forgotten about White Fox already, the first Korean Avenger (that's never actually been an Avenger in the books)? ;\) She is a Kumiho, mythical Korean shapeshifting 9-tailed fox. She was in a Korean webtoon (Avengers: Electric Rain). She actually made it into some books and was in most of the recent Contest of Champions.


(°_°) I wasn't aware of her existence till you revealed it to me, lol. \:\-D

What a coincidence ! It is funny.
Marvel already forgot her and didn't use her for the Marvel Future Game. \(teehee\)


    Quote:
    And the counter argument to this is that using mythology is cliche, as well.

I don't think so. There is more diversity.

It is true that there are many universal archetypes that are common to different mythologies ... for example, the thunder god (^_^').

But at least, it raises curiosity about different cultures.

Hmmm, White Fox is based on the Kumiho ... She is like a Korean version of Naruto, then. You're right. Using mythology can be a cliche.


    Quote:
    But this is for a video game, catering mostly to young people. So, why not a popstar? Yes, every time I see a kid with dreams of stardom (either entertainment or pro-athlete) part of me dies a little. It's cool to have a talent and desire, but how about some other dreams: STEM-related, astronaut, pilot, cop, fireman, heck even a lawyer (it makes me sad Dazzler turned down being a lawyer to be a popstar)? At least Luna Snow doesn't have some sort of entertainment-based power, although I'm sure she'll find some entertainment application for ice sculptures.

    I've also heard that ice sculptures are a bit of an Asian zeitgeist. They've been really huge in China; not sure about Korea. This might have something to do with her power.

    Does her being a popstar even matter for the game or is it just part of her backstory? Does she give missions for you to be her roadie or bouncer/bodyguard? Back up singer? Musician? I'm betting it's just to give her some flavour. Champions Online has a singer superhero character: Sapphire. I'm not sure she ever actually does anything but look pretty during some events and maybe get kidnapped a time or three. I'm betting Luna Snow isn't much different.


Lol, I've just learned that the game was created by a Korean game developer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netmarble_Games

I should have started with that. She is probably co-owned by Marvel and the Korean game developer. (^_^')

Maybe the Korean co-contractor plans to make her an actual virtual idol, such as the ones in Japan. \:\-D




Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2018 Powermad Software