I did enjoy the Peter David Genis series, but editorial sabotage killed it.
Remember that stupid U-decide "contest" to see which character would be Captain Marvel? Genis wins then later is killed by editorial decree.
Yeah teh captain marvel board was fun, but just not sustainable. Shazam wasn't spoken of much on it, and after the flame wars caused by Captain Skrull-Vell......well better that the board is down.
I hated Captain Skrull-Vell.
So let's see, Marv has been:
1. Cancelled twice
2. Reborn under a new guy at the time named Starlin
3. is the first Marvel hero to beat Thanos
4. has some good adventures, then his book is canned in mid-arc and finished in Marvel Spotlight
5. Dies a touching death
6. Was revived as a servant of Grandmaster when he usurped Death
7. has made flashback appearances
8. alternate universe version appeared in the Genis series
9. briefly revived by Thanos via the Reality Gem only to be sent back as he doesn't want to return
10. came back with all of the dead people and heroes in Chaos War, but they weren't really alive, gets "killed" again to avoid the big reset at the end that could have revived him.
11. Revived by the power of the Phoenix, sacrifices his new life to save his people, states he didn't miss being alive....
12. has had a Skrull doppelganger running around for a time
13. had a son and daughter via posthumous genetics, both are now dead
so....about the only thing left is a permanent return.
I enjoyed it as well but as Iron Man Unit 007 said it was sabotaged. Despite PAD's best tries, he and Genis never stood a chance.