X-Men: Red #1
Quote:Tom Taylor (W), Mahmud Asrar (A)
Cover by TRAVIS CHAREST Variant Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR Variant Cover by ROB LIEFELD Variant Cover by SKOTTIE YOUNG REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY PHIL JIMENEZ B&W REMASTERED VARIANT COVER BY PHIL JIMENEZ Marvel Legacy Headshot Variant Cover by TRAVIS CHAREST Trading Card Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
The Hate Machine Part 1
JEAN GREY is back! Returned to a world she doesn't recognize, the First Lady of the X-MEN gathers an unlikely team -- NIGHTCRAWLER, NAMOR and LAURA KINNEY (A.K.A. ALL-NEW WOLVERINE) -- to face an evil that threatens to tear down XAVIER's dream by any means necessary!
40 pages, $4.99.
How obvious is it that it's Jean to the invited readership? Maybe they should've said "Return of the Real") JEAN GREY - or somesuch. And does this mean she'll have power f/x that can now be seen by the naked eye? Crackling fire energy? Or is it a "symbolic lie"? Hmm...
Sigh. Looks run of the mill first encounter scenario... waaaitaminnit, how would they be warning her? Did her powers already activate during puberty act, Cerebro detected, then the X-men "spied" on her, the mob mobilized under their noses and scared her awake?! Very unprecidented and probably will not even be addressed. Sigh afterall.
Run of the mill.
Run of the m... waaaitaminnit, her mom is gunning for her too? Twist!
Hellooooo Nurse! Goosebumps! A new era begins. Sooooo many questions have to be answered but, c'mon!, she's back! Codenameless Girl can have a pass for a few pages...
Take my 3 fingers if you want to live. This rescue could've been handled so much better and cleaner. Whatever. Chalk it up to establishing a rapport.
So what do we discern from this Kurt bamf-showing? Is that a Shark-Girl comical moment?
WHAT THE--?!! And so it begins... HAROLD?! TRINARY?! SEAREBRO?! Wakandan and Atlantean re-upped unceremoniously?! This is the art for the BIG PREMIERE?!
What writer will be creative enough, and when, will they compare Jean's culture shock readjustment to when she went thru the same in X-Factor?
Color me... somewhat leary but cautiously open minded. How 'bout y'all?
I miss Dad & Dan.
Numbered questions/thoughts! Deadpool would love this.
1. Why are mutants being hunted again?
2. Why is Red team hiding underwater?
3. Jean has a definite Supergirl vibe now. I hate to admit it but Jean as Supergirl intrigues me.
4. Underwater base might explain Namor's involvement. Or Namor's involvement might explain the underwater base. Or unknown plot element #3 might explain the prior two plot elements.
5. Red Team gives me the vibe of being the new defacto "real" and "official" X-Men. After all, aside from fighting mutant supervillains, the main thing the original X-Men did was rescue new mutants from situations like the one we saw in this preview. All-New Wolverine's presence on the team further indicates its realness and officialness. She is, after all, the alpha snikt character. (Can't believe I just wrote that, but I actually think it's true. Put all the snikts in a room and see who emerges as the leader. My money's on Laura. Even if Logan and Old Man Logan are both there.)