Black Panther >> View Thread

Author
Serious




JOHN SINGLETON NEWS
Singleton may do 'Black Panther before 'Luke Cage'
by Wilson Morales

July 27, 2007


While speaking to blackfilm.com about his producing duties for latest his film, 'Illegal Tender', which comes out on August 24th, he also spoke about the long-delayed film, 'Luke Cage' and that he may do 'Black Panther' first.

What's going with 'Luke Cage'? Seems that this is a never ending subject, especially since San Diego Comic Con is happening this week.

John Singleton: There is a race to see if I'm going to do 'Luke Cage' first or 'Black Panther'. I really wanted to do both of those pictures. I've always been a fan of Marvel comics, so it depends. I can do 'Cage' or 'Black Panther'. I've just been approached about doing 'Black Panther'.

What's the holdup with 'Luke Cage'? Is there even a script in place?

JS: There's scripts on it. Hollywood has a very limiting view on what makes a pop culture picture. If you put a black face on it, they think it's black thing; but yet we have all these movies that have come up and whenever they any black people in it, they make all this money. That's the thing that's holding 'Luke Cage' up. They think it's a small superhero movie. It's not going to be a small stupid movie like 'Meteor Man'. I'm trying to make 'Luke Cage'.

http://www.blackfilm.com/20070720/features/johnsingletonnews.shtml

Too bad on the hang-ups with Luke Cage, but obviously Black Panther is the reason why I'm posting this!

SO... who knew? I wonder who approached him?

Hopefully this will be (and if it gets done I can't see why it wouldn't be) a Marvel Studios movie thru Paramount. Because with Marvel holding the purse strings they'll make sure they get people who will do Black Panther "right" -- after all, the Iron Man stuff looks hot...

I wonder who talked to him, though? Reggie Hudlin? Because they probably know each other...

Either way, a Black Panther movie through Marvel Studios would be great.


Yo, I'm Serious


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
Thatguy




> JOHN SINGLETON NEWS
> Singleton may do 'Black Panther before 'Luke Cage'
> by Wilson Morales
>
> July 27, 2007
>
>
> While speaking to blackfilm.com about his producing duties for latest his film, 'Illegal Tender', which comes out on August 24th, he also spoke about the long-delayed film, 'Luke Cage' and that he may do 'Black Panther' first.
>
> What's going with 'Luke Cage'? Seems that this is a never ending subject, especially since San Diego Comic Con is happening this week.
>
> John Singleton: There is a race to see if I'm going to do 'Luke Cage' first or 'Black Panther'. I really wanted to do both of those pictures. I've always been a fan of Marvel comics, so it depends. I can do 'Cage' or 'Black Panther'. I've just been approached about doing 'Black Panther'.
>
> What's the holdup with 'Luke Cage'? Is there even a script in place?
>
> JS: There's scripts on it. Hollywood has a very limiting view on what makes a pop culture picture. If you put a black face on it, they think it's black thing; but yet we have all these movies that have come up and whenever they any black people in it, they make all this money. That's the thing that's holding 'Luke Cage' up. They think it's a small superhero movie. It's not going to be a small stupid movie like 'Meteor Man'. I'm trying to make 'Luke Cage'.
>
> http://www.blackfilm.com/20070720/features/johnsingletonnews.shtml
>
> Too bad on the hang-ups with Luke Cage, but obviously Black Panther is the reason why I'm posting this!
>
> SO... who knew? I wonder who approached him?
>
> Hopefully this will be (and if it gets done I can't see why it wouldn't be) a Marvel Studios movie thru Paramount. Because with Marvel holding the purse strings they'll make sure they get people who will do Black Panther "right" -- after all, the Iron Man stuff looks hot...
>
> I wonder who talked to him, though? Reggie Hudlin? Because they probably know each other...

Or he might remember Panther from his youth. Though the execution...varied...Panther was always intended to be a foremost African (American) hero. I'd bet Mr. Singleton remembers the ideal, at least.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Ty




Singleton couldn't pull off "Shaft" (of all films) ...what makes anyone think he can pull off a high_action_drama like "Panther". And I definitely DO NOT want them to use the first four issues of Hudlin's run as the backdrop. Let Hudlin pull the strings as Executive Producer for Marvel or something, but don't let him touch the script or the directorial duties.

If there was going to be a director to do this film, it would have to be one of these two men:

1) My first choice would be F. Gary Gray (The Italian job, The Negotiator, Set It Off). He has much experience with action and drama and could probably project the African/African-American perspective more successfully than my second choice...who is...

2) Sam Raimi - his Spider-man films (to me) are the most successful of the super-hero films. They have been directed better and have portrayed the emotional elements of dealing with the trials of being a super hero wayyy better than any of the other more recent super films. He has to have serious consideration if this film is to be successful.



> > JOHN SINGLETON NEWS
> > Singleton may do 'Black Panther before 'Luke Cage'
> > by Wilson Morales
> >
> > July 27, 2007
> >
> >
> > While speaking to blackfilm.com about his producing duties for latest his film, 'Illegal Tender', which comes out on August 24th, he also spoke about the long-delayed film, 'Luke Cage' and that he may do 'Black Panther' first.
> >
> > What's going with 'Luke Cage'? Seems that this is a never ending subject, especially since San Diego Comic Con is happening this week.
> >
> > John Singleton: There is a race to see if I'm going to do 'Luke Cage' first or 'Black Panther'. I really wanted to do both of those pictures. I've always been a fan of Marvel comics, so it depends. I can do 'Cage' or 'Black Panther'. I've just been approached about doing 'Black Panther'.
> >
> > What's the holdup with 'Luke Cage'? Is there even a script in place?
> >
> > JS: There's scripts on it. Hollywood has a very limiting view on what makes a pop culture picture. If you put a black face on it, they think it's black thing; but yet we have all these movies that have come up and whenever they any black people in it, they make all this money. That's the thing that's holding 'Luke Cage' up. They think it's a small superhero movie. It's not going to be a small stupid movie like 'Meteor Man'. I'm trying to make 'Luke Cage'.
> >
> > http://www.blackfilm.com/20070720/features/johnsingletonnews.shtml
> >
> > Too bad on the hang-ups with Luke Cage, but obviously Black Panther is the reason why I'm posting this!
> >
> > SO... who knew? I wonder who approached him?
> >
> > Hopefully this will be (and if it gets done I can't see why it wouldn't be) a Marvel Studios movie thru Paramount. Because with Marvel holding the purse strings they'll make sure they get people who will do Black Panther "right" -- after all, the Iron Man stuff looks hot...
> >
> > I wonder who talked to him, though? Reggie Hudlin? Because they probably know each other...
>
> Or he might remember Panther from his youth. Though the execution...varied...Panther was always intended to be a foremost African (American) hero. I'd bet Mr. Singleton remembers the ideal, at least.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
Hypestyle




until there's an official press release, I won't hold my breath.. Singleton has been 'linked' to the panther since the early 90's; at one point he would wear a marvel Black Panther baseball cap in public; at the time, Wesley Snipes was tentatively linked to the project as well, but in certain interviews at the time he downplayed Singleton's connection as (i'm paraphrasing here) "wishful thinking". Then, of course, nothing happened.. Circa 2002, Snipes gave another interview where he brought up Panther again, and casually dropped Singleton's name, though he didn't directly say he was involved..

Supposedly, the Cage option expired at Revolution/Sony, and has reverted back to Marvel.. Panther was once tentatively linked to the LionsGate development package, but of course is now with Marvel/Paramount..

If this project does get off the ground, I wish them luck.. though, if given the choice, I'd rather see Singleton do "Power Man" than "Panther"..



> JOHN SINGLETON NEWS
> Singleton may do 'Black Panther before 'Luke Cage'
> by Wilson Morales
>
> July 27, 2007
>
>
> While speaking to blackfilm.com about his producing duties for latest his film, 'Illegal Tender', which comes out on August 24th, he also spoke about the long-delayed film, 'Luke Cage' and that he may do 'Black Panther' first.
>
> What's going with 'Luke Cage'? Seems that this is a never ending subject, especially since San Diego Comic Con is happening this week.
>
> John Singleton: There is a race to see if I'm going to do 'Luke Cage' first or 'Black Panther'. I really wanted to do both of those pictures. I've always been a fan of Marvel comics, so it depends. I can do 'Cage' or 'Black Panther'. I've just been approached about doing 'Black Panther'.
>
> What's the holdup with 'Luke Cage'? Is there even a script in place?
>
> JS: There's scripts on it. Hollywood has a very limiting view on what makes a pop culture picture. If you put a black face on it, they think it's black thing; but yet we have all these movies that have come up and whenever they any black people in it, they make all this money. That's the thing that's holding 'Luke Cage' up. They think it's a small superhero movie. It's not going to be a small stupid movie like 'Meteor Man'. I'm trying to make 'Luke Cage'.
>
> http://www.blackfilm.com/20070720/features/johnsingletonnews.shtml
>
> Too bad on the hang-ups with Luke Cage, but obviously Black Panther is the reason why I'm posting this!
>
> SO... who knew? I wonder who approached him?
>
> Hopefully this will be (and if it gets done I can't see why it wouldn't be) a Marvel Studios movie thru Paramount. Because with Marvel holding the purse strings they'll make sure they get people who will do Black Panther "right" -- after all, the Iron Man stuff looks hot...
>
> I wonder who talked to him, though? Reggie Hudlin? Because they probably know each other...
>
> Either way, a Black Panther movie through Marvel Studios would be great.
>
>
> Yo, I'm Serious


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Serious




> Supposedly, the Cage option expired at Revolution/Sony, and has reverted back to Marvel.. Panther was once tentatively linked to the LionsGate development package, but of course is now with Marvel/Paramount..

I had wondered about that...if Sony still had it.

And I agree, I would much rather see a John Singleton Luke Cage movie, Black Panther just doesn't seem to be his style, IMO.

Of course, I feel the same way about Reggie Hudlin -- his Luke Cage is PERFECT, his Panther, not so much. It's good, but his Panther is pretty straight-laced, but with Cage he can let loose and say anything.

I always wondered how it would have been if Reggie Hudlin was the writer of a Luke Cage series instead of BP. Because comedy is Hudlin's forte, and you can write Luke Cage with jokes much easier than you can BP...

Overall I think a Hudlin penned Cage series would been recieved much better -- the character is much more in line with his natural creative voice (to me, at least),


Yo, I'm Serious


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
takufan4




> > Supposedly, the Cage option expired at Revolution/Sony, and has reverted back to Marvel.. Panther was once tentatively linked to the LionsGate development package, but of course is now with Marvel/Paramount..
>
> I had wondered about that...if Sony still had it.
>
> And I agree, I would much rather see a John Singleton Luke Cage movie, Black Panther just doesn't seem to be his style, IMO.
>
> Of course, I feel the same way about Reggie Hudlin -- his Luke Cage is PERFECT, his Panther, not so much. It's good, but his Panther is pretty straight-laced, but with Cage he can let loose and say anything.
>
> I always wondered how it would have been if Reggie Hudlin was the writer of a Luke Cage series instead of BP. Because comedy is Hudlin's forte, and you can write Luke Cage with jokes much easier than you can BP...
>
> Overall I think a Hudlin penned Cage series would been recieved much better -- the character is much more in line with his natural creative voice (to me, at least).

EXACTLY what I think, Serious, so it MUST be right! LOL! \:\)

Hudlin was BORN to write Luke Cage. THAT should have been his book. And he would have gotten MUCH LOVE.
>
>
> Yo, I'm Serious


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Jer




> If there was going to be a director to do this film [...]

My #1 choice would be Christopher Nolan, who directed both my favorite movie of all time (Memento) and my favorite comic book movie of all time (Batman Begins), among others (Following, Insomnia, The Prestige). He always makes intelligent, thoughtful films, and I love his visual style.

A John Woo Black Panther movie could also be pretty interesting, if a bit more visceral and over the top.

- Jer


Posted with Mozilla 1.8.1.5 on MacOS X
Ty




> > If there was going to be a director to do this film [...]
>
> My #1 choice would be Christopher Nolan, who directed both my favorite movie of all time (Memento) ...

I remember you bringing up this movie a while ago. I searched IMDB for the plot synopsis and it looks very interesting. I think I may check this out soon.

> and my favorite comic book movie of all time (Batman Begins)...

Although Batman Begins was my favorite Batman movie hands down and is in my Top 10 Comics Movies List, it still was not towards the top of my list. It was very good, but overall did not have a comic book feel to it. I like my comics movies to be fun first and have some sheen (great special effects, a la Matrix, in an open and bright setting to make it visually believable, a la "Spiderman 2". I know Gotham is supposed to be dark, but it just took away from the overall appeal of the movie to me.) If the movie is intelligent in its writing or screenplay, all the more better, but it has to be fun and/or incredibly action-packed for me first.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
kuru




this character is so great i am having troubling thinking of a black actor with the charisma to pull it off will smith good actor lots of charisma charasima in spades actually isnt right fo the part
densel the best actor over the past 20 years is just too old

i think wesley is too old as well

i dont know any youung afro america actors that have the chops yeah they might look good in a superhero outfit but to pull off the panther???? i have doubts

be that as it may i hope they do make this movie panther is a great character and the whole world should know it


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2021 Powermad Software