Captain America Message Board >> View Thread

Author
Vincent


Member Since: Mon Jul 06, 2015
Posts: 100


I'm seeing this Secret Empire event series and Captain America's recovery and redemption, liken to America recovering from its extreme national security brought on after nine-eleven, ...but,

So, in the 60s, Tales of Suspense, Cap retires.
In the 70s, hurt and disappointed with his government, Cap quits.
In the 80s, the Government wants to control Cap, Cap resigns.

Today, with this government, the President meets with Cap and says, "You're fired!"

Great story opportunity!!!



Posted with Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112 on Windows XP
USAgentfan


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 2,535


The story if anything is a commentary on the current state of American politics, the 2016 Presidential election, and the Trump administration - or at least the writers particular opinions on the matter.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 52.0 on Windows XP
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,205




    Quote:
    The story if anything is a commentary on the current state of American politics, the 2016 Presidential election, and the Trump administration - or at least the writers particular opinions on the matter.


I'm not particularly optimistic about American politics at the moment either.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 53.0 on Windows 7
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 919


>


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
USAgentfan


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 2,535


Neither am I, but these characters dont exist as weapons for the writer to use in a partizan personal vendetta against the Conservatives and any other person who doesnt like his work, they exist first and foremost to provide entertainment - something they are doing less and less.

A superhero comic story with a political undertone is fine - thats what the original X-Men did when they acted as a proxy for generic bigotry - but Spencer is writing a political story with a subtle superhero comic undertone, where the predominant thing you walk away with is his political feelings and opinions, rather than a kick ass story.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 53.0 on Windows 10
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,205




    Quote:
    Neither am I, but these characters dont exist as weapons for the writer to use in a partizan personal vendetta against the Conservatives and any other person who doesnt like his work, they exist first and foremost to provide entertainment - something they are doing less and less.



    Quote:
    A superhero comic story with a political undertone is fine - thats what the original X-Men did when they acted as a proxy for generic bigotry - but Spencer is writing a political story with a subtle superhero comic undertone, where the predominant thing you walk away with is his political feelings and opinions, rather than a kick ass story.


In theory I agree with your stance when it comes to most heroes. Except Captain America should you know...be kind of political. I don't like his generic fence sitting I'm for everybody stance. He never seems to have an opinion on a political issue. Other characters like say Iron Man or Daredevil have opinions they'll fight for...Steve gives up his individuality to be the corny embodiment of the country's values.

I'm not saying the story is good but I've never been a big fan of the bland Cap of yesteryear either. And Hickman ruined Cap a few years back during that Incursions mess. This is just the poop that comes out after the body dies.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 53.0 on Windows 7
little kon-el


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 506


Like I don't want Captain America following Donald Trump's orders. That just feels wrong to me. Like in the 1980's, John Walker was this weird thing of "What if Ollie North was Captain America." The 1970s were a direct response to Richard Nixon as president. These were controversial stances at the time. I'm sure if the internet were around, they would've blown up in the same way as "What if Captain America was a traitor to the country?" of Secret Empire today. I mean this is the whole "Donald Trump is really a traitor who is manipulating America's downfall" metaphor as a comic book.

We've seen this misfire before. During the last Presidential Election, Marvel was really really banking that Mitt Romney would win. Norman Osborn is basically Mitt Romney and the whole "Green Goblin as HAMMER Leader" is very much shades of Mitt Romney as Super-villain. Marvel bet the whole bank of a very conservative administration to mirror the Dark Reign storyline and they kind of lost with stories that didn't quite fit the Pres. Obama administration. Their president stand-in (especially in Thunderbolts) acted more like Mitt Romney than President Obama. The biggest problem is that they didn't foresee 2016 and how Osborn would've been the perfect cipher for Donald Trump (right down to the goofy hair).

I bet if they had foreseen that, we would've had Dark Reign in 2016 instead of 2012.

- l.k.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 53.0 on Windows 10
Stu The Disgruntled Greek

Moderator

Member Since: Tue Nov 05, 1996
Posts: 1,261


Didn't Dark Reign start getting promoted in 2008? So John McCain...

The Disgruntled Greek


Posted with Google Chrome 58.0.3029.110 on Windows 7
little kon-el


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 506


Yep. You could tell they really wanted John McCain as president during Dark Reign.

- l.k.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 54.0 on Windows 10
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 919



    Quote:
    Yep. You could tell they really wanted John McCain as president during Dark Reign.



    Quote:
    - l.k.


...he should actually be considered the only sensible republican from the SJW camp though. ;P


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2017 Powermad Software