Comic Battle >> View Thread

Author
P90X




This is not a question if if, but of how fast.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.7 on MacOS X
dave





    Quote:
    This is not a question if if, but of how fast.


Depends. Characters with healing factors tend not to go down from cumulative damage. One clean shot is a better approach. For example, you have a better chance KOing Hulk but putting everything into the first shot rather than continually pounding on his head. Fights are always like a video game with a health bar.

Regardless, if Thor meant businees it shouldn't take long. Sentry and Namor have both one-shotted him not too long ago, and I'm guessing a lightning bolt would put him out.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
Bootch 

Manager

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,492


Thor should be able to one-shot Wolverine. Wolverine has been knocked out plenty of times in the past by people that are pretty much regular humans and nowhere near the strength level of Thor.
On the other hand though, Wolverine only has to lop off a limb to put Thor into shock and/or take off his head to finish the job. Heck, if Wolverine just stuck his claws in Thor's face and through to his brain, that's one done for thunder god.


    Quote:
    This is not a question if if, but of how fast.



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Spider-Hulk





    Quote:
    This is not a question if if, but of how fast.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.7 on Windows XP
Incriptus


Location: Incriptus
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 4,731


Panel 1:
Thor to Wolverine: "I can not let you pass, Your interference here will spell doom to asgard"
Wolverine to Thor: "Nobody is stopping me from getting into that room, bub"
Thor to Wolverine: "I see words will not disuade you from this foolish action"

Panel 2:
Thor throws mjolnir at wolverine, who ducks beneath it and begins to rush at thor claws extended.

Panel 3:
Wolverine is in physical range with thor. Wolverine slash with the left claw is dodged by thor but the right claw connects with Thor's arm, drawing blood and causing thor pain.

Panel 4:
Thor's face is red with anger. Thor's fist connects with Wolverine's chest sending him flying through 3 or 4 walls.

Panel 5:
Wolverine is on the ground dazed and Thor is standing over him Mjolnir back in had. Wolverine speaking to himself: "Gahhh. This guy hits as hard as the Hulk!". Thor to Wolverine: "Nay Mortal, I HIT HARDER". Mjolnir comes down on the side of Wolverine's head.

Panel 6:
Thor to Wolverine: "Mortal you make take some sollace in the fact that you did wound me, but this is a fight you could never win." Thor begins to walk away.

Panel 7:
As Thor is walking away Wolverine manages to get back up. Wolverine rushes at Thor, slicing Thor's right leg. Thor falls and Wolverine rushes past.

Panel 8:
Wolverine is reaching towards his goal when a bolt of lightining comes from the sky striking him down.

Panel 9:
Wolverine begins to stand.
Another bolt of lightining strikes him.
Thor begins walking towards wolverine again

Panel 10:
Wolverine begins to stand
Another bolt of lightining strikes him.
Wolverine stays down.




Only Drax the Legend can quote Drax the Legend. NT · Drax the Legend
Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
P90X





    Quote:
    Panel 1:
    Thor to Wolverine: "I can not let you pass, Your interference here will spell doom to asgard"
    Wolverine to Thor: "Nobody is stopping me from getting into that room, bub"
    Thor to Wolverine: "I see words will not disuade you from this foolish action"

    Panel 2:
    Thor throws mjolnir at wolverine, who ducks beneath it and begins to rush at thor claws extended.

    Panel 3:
    Wolverine is in physical range with thor. Wolverine slash with the left claw is dodged by thor but the right claw connects with Thor's arm, drawing blood and causing thor pain.

    Panel 4:
    Thor's face is red with anger. Thor's fist connects with Wolverine's chest sending him flying through 3 or 4 walls.

    Panel 5:
    Wolverine is on the ground dazed and Thor is standing over him Mjolnir back in had. Wolverine speaking to himself: "Gahhh. This guy hits as hard as the Hulk!". Thor to Wolverine: "Nay Mortal, I HIT HARDER". Mjolnir comes down on the side of Wolverine's head.

    Panel 6:
    Thor to Wolverine: "Mortal you make take some sollace in the fact that you did wound me, but this is a fight you could never win." Thor begins to walk away.

    Panel 7:
    As Thor is walking away Wolverine manages to get back up. Wolverine rushes at Thor, slicing Thor's right leg. Thor falls and Wolverine rushes past.

    Panel 8:
    Wolverine is reaching towards his goal when a bolt of lightining comes from the sky striking him down.

    Panel 9:
    Wolverine begins to stand.
    Another bolt of lightining strikes him.
    Thor begins walking towards wolverine again

    Panel 10:
    Wolverine begins to stand
    Another bolt of lightining strikes him.
    Wolverine stays down.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.7 on MacOS X
dave





    Quote:
    Thor should be able to one-shot Wolverine. Wolverine has been knocked out plenty of times in the past by people that are pretty much regular humans and nowhere near the strength level of Thor.
    On the other hand though, Wolverine only has to lop off a limb to put Thor into shock and/or take off his head to finish the job. Heck, if Wolverine just stuck his claws in Thor's face and through to his brain, that's one done for thunder god.


      Quote:
      This is not a question if if, but of how fast.


If Wolverine has trouble cutting through the hide of Gravage Hulk what makes you think he can "lop off" Thor's arm so easily? Thor has a durability around that of the Hulk, if not better, but just lacks the healing factor. I think Wolverine cut probably penetrate Thor's skin with the claws in a stabbing motion, but swinging them isn't going to have the same effect. Superficial scratches perhaps.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
Spider-Hulk





    Quote:
    If Wolverine has trouble cutting through the hide of Gravage Hulk what makes you think he can "lop off" Thor's arm so easily? Thor has a durability around that of the Hulk, if not better, but just lacks the healing factor. I think Wolverine cut probably penetrate Thor's skin with the claws in a stabbing motion, but swinging them isn't going to have the same effect. Superficial scratches perhaps.


Well I quite agree with you a few scracthes is not going to cut anything of Thor's off. And even if Wolverine could cut deep with his claws through that thick flesh, he still has to get through Thor's bones which are vastly thicker and stronger than a normal human's bones. Wolverine is not stupid though, he would no doubt go for stabbing shots instead as even Thor has innards that can be seriously messed up... which leads to my next point...

Thor's durability is not Hulk level tho, Hulk has better durability than Thor does, and a regenerative ability on top of his durability. Durability refers to the amount of abuse something can take before its damaged or broken, to give Thor his props though, I would say durability wise Thor is extremely close to Hulk. Thor though as I have said many times has far better Endurance than Hulk does, or most other top tiers do, IMO... The fact that despite what happens to him, Thor keeps getting up, you smack him about hard as you can, he gets up, the guy just won't stay down! Trying to KO Thor is like trying to pour smoke through a keyhole! Its difficult as hell.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.7 on Windows XP
dave





    Quote:
    Well I quite agree with you a few scracthes is not going to cut anything of Thor's off. And even if Wolverine could cut deep with his claws through that thick flesh, he still has to get through Thor's bones which are vastly thicker and stronger than a normal human's bones. Wolverine is not stupid though, he would no doubt go for stabbing shots instead as even Thor has innards that can be seriously messed up... which leads to my next point...


I agree that Wolverine isn't that stupid. I was just pointing out that it couldn't happen.


    Quote:
    Thor's durability is not Hulk level tho, Hulk has better durability than Thor does, and a regenerative ability on top of his durability. Durability refers to the amount of abuse something can take before its damaged or broken, to give Thor his props though, I would say durability wise Thor is extremely close to Hulk. Thor though as I have said many times has far better Endurance than Hulk does, or most other top tiers do, IMO... The fact that despite what happens to him, Thor keeps getting up, you smack him about hard as you can, he gets up, the guy just won't stay down! Trying to KO Thor is like trying to pour smoke through a keyhole! Its difficult as hell.


I'd say Thor's durability is as good as Hulk's. Hulk has rarely had both his high level durability and his high end healing factor at the same time. Depending on the version of the Hulk, he's often somewhere in between. Of course in reality this is just writer inconsistencies but at least his different personalities and anger level could explain some of it. Historically though, I think Thor is equal to Thor in durability. Classic Savage Hulk did not start out as a top tier character. Thor does. Plus, he seems to be a bit more durable these days. Whether it is the OP or the new armor, or just the new writer, it's hard to say.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
zvelf


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



    Quote:

      Quote:
      Panel 1:
      Thor to Wolverine: "I can not let you pass, Your interference here will spell doom to asgard"
      Wolverine to Thor: "Nobody is stopping me from getting into that room, bub"
      Thor to Wolverine: "I see words will not disuade you from this foolish action"

      Panel 2:
      Thor throws mjolnir at wolverine, who ducks beneath it and begins to rush at thor claws extended.

      Panel 3:
      Wolverine is in physical range with thor. Wolverine slash with the left claw is dodged by thor but the right claw connects with Thor's arm, drawing blood and causing thor pain.

      Panel 4:
      Thor's face is red with anger. Thor's fist connects with Wolverine's chest sending him flying through 3 or 4 walls.

      Panel 5:
      Wolverine is on the ground dazed and Thor is standing over him Mjolnir back in had. Wolverine speaking to himself: "Gahhh. This guy hits as hard as the Hulk!". Thor to Wolverine: "Nay Mortal, I HIT HARDER". Mjolnir comes down on the side of Wolverine's head.

      Panel 6:
      Thor to Wolverine: "Mortal you make take some sollace in the fact that you did wound me, but this is a fight you could never win." Thor begins to walk away.

      Panel 7:
      As Thor is walking away Wolverine manages to get back up. Wolverine rushes at Thor, slicing Thor's right leg. Thor falls and Wolverine rushes past.

      Panel 8:
      Wolverine is reaching towards his goal when a bolt of lightining comes from the sky striking him down.

      Panel 9:
      Wolverine begins to stand.
      Another bolt of lightining strikes him.
      Thor begins walking towards wolverine again

      Panel 10:
      Wolverine begins to stand
      Another bolt of lightining strikes him.
      Wolverine stays down.





How to make an entrance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49xWJJvpjzI
Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
Drax the Legend




nt


Posted with Opera 9.63 on Windows XP
atalkingdog





    Quote:
    This is not a question if if, but of how fast.


Thor can knock wolverine out with one punch. no way Wolverine should be Quicker than Thor. Writers will usually write up smaller characters speed to make it look interesting, but in truth Thor should have much faster arm speed.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.20 on Windows Vista
Rehzon


Location: Red Forest, Chernobyl
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



[î]




Posted with Sony Playstation 3
Bootch 

Manager

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,492


Wolverine's claws have long been pimped as being able to cut through anything. Read any issues of Uncanny X-Men prior to Claremont's departures and you'll see numerous references to that point. Other than his first appearance against Hulk, he's been quite consistant as far as I know in being able to cut through people/things. The only reason he doesn't generally do more than scratch people is because he'd end up maiming or killing almost every character he's fought. That level of violence is generally not done in Marvel and certainly not against a-list characters.

> If Wolverine has trouble cutting through the hide of Gravage Hulk what makes you think he can "lop off" Thor's arm so easily? Thor has a durability around that of the Hulk, if not better, but just lacks the healing factor. I think Wolverine cut probably penetrate Thor's skin with the claws in a stabbing motion, but swinging them isn't going to have the same effect. Superficial scratches perhaps.



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
dave





    Quote:
    Wolverine's claws have long been pimped as being able to cut through anything. Read any issues of Uncanny X-Men prior to Claremont's departures and you'll see numerous references to that point. Other than his first appearance against Hulk, he's been quite consistant as far as I know in being able to cut through people/things. The only reason he doesn't generally do more than scratch people is because he'd end up maiming or killing almost every character he's fought. That level of violence is generally not done in Marvel and certainly not against a-list characters.


They've been SAID to cut through anything but we've SEEN that this isn't the case. If he says that it's difficult to cut Hulk's hide, than that means he can't cut anything. Otherwise, what happens when something is 2x as durable as Hulk's skin? This was their most recent fight, not the first.

Obviously there have been examples in which he couldn't cut force fields and whatnot, so clearly that rules out the "everything" part of it. He couldn't cut Iron Man. He's had trouble cutting several durable foes over the years. How many times has he tried to stab a durable opponent only to barely be able to scratch the surface? You can't blame this on the state of comics because he's fought people that he's wanted to kill and had this result. Look at the fight with the Wrecker. He completely blindsided him with the claws, made some pretty deep cuts, but it was nothing bad enough to keep him from dominating the fight.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
Bootch 

Manager

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,492


This is a prime exampe of Wolverine not being allowed to maim or kill characters. Wolverine is a big deal for Marvel and they sell lots of books, movies, toys and various other merchandise to children off the back off his popularity. They won't have their cash cow decapitating others because a) Marvel comics are for kids and that level of violence would be too much, b) Wolverine would be killing or cutting off limbs in every fight and it wouldn't do to have a crossover with Spider-man, Thor, Captain America etc. and then having to portray Wolverine's foes in their own books and future appearances as having missing limbs or being paralysed from a severed spinal column, or dead.

It's not just Wolverine that has these limits on violence and its consequences. Torch and Havok, for example, have taken plenty of shots at other a-list characters, but have never really taken anyone down by burning or evaporating them. Strong chaps like Hulk or Wonderman are limited in what they can achieve. When they punch weaker opponents like Wolverine and send him flying, the effects on the human body would be catastrophic. It's part suspension of disbelief but it's also that such consequences would mean the death or disabling of numerous characters (Wolverine might physically survive a punch, but his brain would liquify from the shock of impact thusly leaving a brain dead Wolverine).

> Look at the fight with the Wrecker. He completely blindsided him with the claws, made some pretty deep cuts, but it was nothing bad enough to keep him from dominating the fight.



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Kadaj





    Quote:
    This is not a question if if, but of how fast.



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
dave





    Quote:
    This is a prime exampe of Wolverine not being allowed to maim or kill characters. Wolverine is a big deal for Marvel and they sell lots of books, movies, toys and various other merchandise to children off the back off his popularity. They won't have their cash cow decapitating others because a) Marvel comics are for kids and that level of violence would be too much, b) Wolverine would be killing or cutting off limbs in every fight and it wouldn't do to have a crossover with Spider-man, Thor, Captain America etc. and then having to portray Wolverine's foes in their own books and future appearances as having missing limbs or being paralysed from a severed spinal column, or dead.


This doesn't make sense. Wolverine has killed and maimed plenty of times in comics. He just doesn't kill A-listers, which is true of everyone. Wolverine being unable easily cut something isn't the result of some kind of policy. I'm not sure what foes you mean. When has Wolverine ever not tried to take a bad guy's head off?


    Quote:
    It's not just Wolverine that has these limits on violence and its consequences. Torch and Havok, for example, have taken plenty of shots at other a-list characters, but have never really taken anyone down by burning or evaporating them. Strong chaps like Hulk or Wonderman are limited in what they can achieve. When they punch weaker opponents like Wolverine and send him flying, the effects on the human body would be catastrophic. It's part suspension of disbelief but it's also that such consequences would mean the death or disabling of numerous characters (Wolverine might physically survive a punch, but his brain would liquify from the shock of impact thusly leaving a brain dead Wolverine).


What suspension of disbelief? Wolverine has an unbreakable skeleton and a mutant healing factor. That's hardly the same thing as a normal human, and even in those cases we get the "he holds back" excuse form most characters. Regarding the "brain dead Wolverine", this is exactly what happened to him in WWH. Fortunately, his brain seems to heal.

I understand your point about limits nad the Torch is a good example. However, you don't immediately jump to the conclusion that Torch can vaporize any villain just because comics wouldn't let it happen. We've seen him unable to beat opponents (Hulk, for example) by using heat. So there is a limit, just like Wolverine. He said himself he had trouble cutting Hulk. This proves beyond any doubt that he cut through anything because something can always be harder than the Hulk. Again, I'm not saying Wolverine wouldn't be able to cut most things, just that the evidence indicates that he couldn't do it very easily, as the original post implied when it said he would "lop off" Thor's arm.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
dave





    Quote:

    [î]




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
Late Great Donald Blake

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,358




But, Thor didn't really mean to do it. It happened in a 1998 Avenger's/Squadran Supreme Annual that Busiek wrote. Thor gets KO'd, and Hyperion, in an attempt to help out Thor, tries to retrieve a falling Mjolnir only to find that he can't lift the seemingly lift hammer. It's not clear whether Hyperion was unaware of the enchantment or just forgot, but when he hits the ground, he's pinned under Mjolnir and out of the fight.

---the late great Donald Blake


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software