|Community >> View Post|
Subj: Do you want to write comic book reviews?
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 at 12:33:02 pm EST
Reply Subj: Re: Quick qs to the mods
Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 at 07:07:50 pm EST
I'm considering allowing non-moderators to write reviews for us. But I'm not going to accept just any reviews from anyone. You'd have to submit to me a sample review in text format or MS Word format, and it would have to fit what we're looking for.
This is what we want:
* Well written reviews that are neither all negative or all positive. We don't want either gushing reviews or "this book smelled so bad that it wilted the flowers on the wallpaper." That has its place--and certain books might warrant it--but it's not the kind of review to send me as a sample, because I want to see that you're objective, constructive, and layered in your reviewing abilities.
* College level writing style. If you look at our reviews they range from conversational to almost doctoral thesis-like. Yours should be one of those or somewhere in between. They don't need to deconstruct the story or recap it, but they will probably have spoilers and really discuss what the book was about--and give your opinions of it.
* Be honest, be fair, and under no circumstances attack the creators personally. As our message board rules are this way, so should reviews be. You can say "this writer's story was terrible" but you cannot say "this writer is a hack." And explain why you think so.
* Be detailed. Take a look at our reviews (http://www.comicboards.com/reviews.php) and attempt to emulate their length and style.
* Be grammatically correct (within reason--you can write conversationally) and spell-check yourself. If I have to do a lot of work to fix your stuff, I'm not going to ask you to write reviews for us.
* Moderate your opinion. Very few books will be 10 out of 10 or 0 or 1 out of 10. Maybe you loved a book--or hated it--but read it again before doing a review and find things you did or didn't like specifically--they're there. We have had 1/10 and a 9/10 I believe--they DO happen. Just don't send me such a review unless you're including others, because the review you send me is to impress upon me your review-writing skill and it's easy to love or hate--I want to see you critique constructively.
* Have fun with it. You don't need to be stiff, or refer to yourself in third person. Write it like you're telling a friend how you liked this comic book.
Any questions, let me know. Send a sample review or two to dhg at comicboards.com (replace the at with @, of course).
No promises that we'll publish anything, but we want more reviews up more frequently, and if you're good enough, you'll be in like Flynn.
Poohbah and Head Ape
Edited to add: It should go without saying that anyone who is banned from any board is ineligible.
using Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP (1.27 points)
|Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software|