Community >> View Thread

Author
Superman's Pal

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,780


A good thing? A bad thing?

He's always been about 50/50 for me. Teslas seem to be good cars. Space X is doing some interesting things. The Boring Company doesn't seem to be doing much. Haven't heard a Starlink update in a while.

Is changing Twitter from one private owner to another going to help its case for free speech? Won't he still have to answer to a Board of Directors, and to some extent the employees and users? And to the FCC or FTC? Is there much that he can really change?

If he can affect changes, will he allow misinformation to spread without consequence? And if so, will it just become another 4Chan?



Posted with Google Chrome 100.0.4896.127 on MacOS X
bd2999 

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



    Quote:
    A good thing? A bad thing?


Mostly bad in my view.


    Quote:
    He's always been about 50/50 for me. Teslas seem to be good cars. Space X is doing some interesting things. The Boring Company doesn't seem to be doing much. Haven't heard a Starlink update in a while.


I like the general goal of Tesla in terms of electric cars, but Musk himself has been sued a number of times for being a pretty bad boss. And for crushing those that disagree with him.


    Quote:
    Is changing Twitter from one private owner to another going to help its case for free speech? Won't he still have to answer to a Board of Directors, and to some extent the employees and users? And to the FCC or FTC? Is there much that he can really change?


Quite alot can potentially change depending on what is done and how it is done.

Right now Twitter is a public company, Musk wants to make it private. Meaning the transparency, what there is I guess, would be gone. It could also lead to a wholesale change in moderating policies that Musk would probably take an active role in.

And that seems to be, that he can say what he wants and so can the powerful, while potentially fostering the worst aspects of people and drive off most users in the process.

All hypothetical at this point but he does not have a great track record.

If it is a private company it is run how he wants it to. Regulators at this point have been pretty inept as far as I can tell and are generally divided along political lines as opposed to best interest.


    Quote:
    If he can affect changes, will he allow misinformation to spread without consequence? And if so, will it just become another 4Chan?


It is one possibility but it is speculation at this point until things are transferred over.

I do not have high hopes as Musk is sort of the stereotypical rich guy type. I want free speech, but only what I agree with sort of thing.

Twitter and all social media is highly flawed. Given its nature it is putting a large platform in private hands, but the debates around it to me are largely untrue. Bias against conservatives for instance, as far as I have been able to tell most social media stuff is pretty crappy to all. Most people complain on it, some stuff is done on it well but for the most part it is more of a mess than anything to me.

The problem with misinformation is that there is not a good way to counter it. Social media's biggest downside is it makes it easier for people to insulate themselves from the world and into their own pockets and echo chambers.

I am not on twitter though so it does not impact me much directly.






Look Raist bunnies...
Posted with Google Chrome 100.0.4896.127 on Windows 10

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software