The Flash >> View Thread

Author
Knight


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008



Eddie Thawne shot and killed himself in order to save Barry Allen from being killed by Reverse Flash. That essentially erased Eobard Thawne from existence.

Realistically, that should have reset the entire timeline. So then we'd have the following:

1. Since Reverse Flash doesn't exist anymore, the real Harrison Wells was never killed by Eobard Thawne, so he should still be alive. THat also means S.T.A.R. Labs is still years away from becoming a success (which is true because this was talked about in season 1). That also means, Barry Allen wouldn't be the Flash (not yet anyway).

2. Nora Allen is still alive and Henry Allen never goes to prison.

3. Barry Allen "possibly" never becomes a Forensic Scientist for the Police Department.

4. Barry Allen never moves in with Joe West.

5. Barry Allen still becomes the Flash but not for another 5 or 6 years (as revealed in dialogue from the first season).

6. Dr. Wells fired Pied Piper (can't remember his real name) because he had moral issues with the particle accelerator. So in a reset timeline, Pied Piper could still be working at S.T.A.R. Labs.

7. Ronnie would be married to Caitlin Snow since he didn't become Firestorm (but most likely would later on down the road in a reset timeline).

The list goes on, but I can't think of anything more. So, realistically, what happened in the season 1 finale should have reset the entire timeline. Season 2 SHOULD have realistically opened with at least a five year time jump where the above list applies. And then we'd have to go through Barry Allen's journey to becoming Flash again...

But instead, the writers chose to keep the original timeline when anyone giving this serious thought, it doesn't make sense. I was worried the writers were going to make a mess of things by introducing the multiverse if not done right. But I was wrong...they already have made a mess of things.

And it's looking like the writers don't even care. They keep this up, the Flash will be cancelled before or during season 3. It's already too confusing and pretty messy.

But as Iron Man Unit and have both speculated, maybe Rip Hunter comes along and stops Eddie from killing himself, thus bringing back the Reverse Flash back into existing again.

WHo knows. I just hope the writers are aware of this mess on their hands and fix it before the show is cancelled.





It's interesting that a hero/villain performs one amazing feat, or use a power they haven't used for 20+ years, and that automatically propels them to a high status despite scans and evidence to the contrary. I don't know what is worse, selective feat picking that has only been done once or twice 20, or more, years ago or ignoring evidence from scans or the lack thereof. We need to stop putting our favorite heroes/villains on pedestals and start putting them where they really belong. But it's evident that people never will because they would rather accuse others of cherry picking feats, when they don't, and being 'morally superior' when they aren't. I guess being honest and as fair as possible only opens one up to being the target of childish accusations and fault finding by those who insist on acting petty and childish. What happened to a good debate between two civil, mature, adults?
Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
Reverend Meteor





    Quote:

    Eddie Thawne shot and killed himself in order to save Barry Allen from being killed by Reverse Flash. That essentially erased Eobard Thawne from existence.



    Quote:
    Realistically, that should have reset the entire timeline. So then we'd have the following:



    Quote:
    1. Since Reverse Flash doesn't exist anymore, the real Harrison Wells was never killed by Eobard Thawne, so he should still be alive. THat also means S.T.A.R. Labs is still years away from becoming a success (which is true because this was talked about in season 1). That also means, Barry Allen wouldn't be the Flash (not yet anyway).



    Quote:
    2. Nora Allen is still alive and Henry Allen never goes to prison.



    Quote:
    3. Barry Allen "possibly" never becomes a Forensic Scientist for the Police Department.



    Quote:
    4. Barry Allen never moves in with Joe West.



    Quote:
    5. Barry Allen still becomes the Flash but not for another 5 or 6 years (as revealed in dialogue from the first season).



    Quote:
    6. Dr. Wells fired Pied Piper (can't remember his real name) because he had moral issues with the particle accelerator. So in a reset timeline, Pied Piper could still be working at S.T.A.R. Labs.



    Quote:
    7. Ronnie would be married to Caitlin Snow since he didn't become Firestorm (but most likely would later on down the road in a reset timeline).



    Quote:
    The list goes on, but I can't think of anything more. So, realistically, what happened in the season 1 finale should have reset the entire timeline. Season 2 SHOULD have realistically opened with at least a five year time jump where the above list applies. And then we'd have to go through Barry Allen's journey to becoming Flash again...



    Quote:
    But instead, the writers chose to keep the original timeline when anyone giving this serious thought, it doesn't make sense. I was worried the writers were going to make a mess of things by introducing the multiverse if not done right. But I was wrong...they already have made a mess of things.



    Quote:
    And it's looking like the writers don't even care. They keep this up, the Flash will be cancelled before or during season 3. It's already too confusing and pretty messy.



    Quote:
    But as Iron Man Unit and have both speculated, maybe Rip Hunter comes along and stops Eddie from killing himself, thus bringing back the Reverse Flash back into existing again.



    Quote:
    WHo knows. I just hope the writers are aware of this mess on their hands and fix it before the show is cancelled.


I think it's way too quick to say it is a mess. Maybe they're taking the Marvel way of doing the multiverse. You can go back in time and change stuff but that just creates a new timeline...it doesn't undo the original. I've always preferred that approach anyways instead of people going back and actually changing stuff.

So maybe Earth 2 is just the universe that got created as a result of Eddie's actions. Eddie died which resulted in the creation of this new timeline (separate from the earth 1 timeline...earth 1 didn't get rewritten) where Eobard never existed so he never traveled back in time so Barry's mom didn't die, Harrison didn't die, Eddie didn't die.

Earth 2 is what happened due to Eobard never being there. It could be like what happened in Legion of Super Heroes vol 4. Superman was removed from the timeline so other proxies had to replace him and the people most connected to him. Because Barry didn't become the Flash Jay did. Because Eobard didn't exist Zoom filled that void.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 35.0 on Windows 7
Knight


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008




    Quote:
    So maybe Earth 2 is just the universe that got created as a result of Eddie's actions. Eddie died which resulted in the creation of this new timeline (separate from the earth 1 timeline...earth 1 didn't get rewritten) where Eobard never existed so he never traveled back in time so Barry's mom didn't die, Harrison didn't die, Eddie didn't die.


And maybe the season 1 finally is what created the multiverse. \:\)


    Quote:
    Earth 2 is what happened due to Eobard never being there. It could be like what happened in Legion of Super Heroes vol 4. Superman was removed from the timeline so other proxies had to replace him and the people most connected to him. Because Barry didn't become the Flash Jay did. Because Eobard didn't exist Zoom filled that void.


Thanks for your perspective, it makes sense. \:\)





It's interesting that a hero/villain performs one amazing feat, or use a power they haven't used for 20+ years, and that automatically propels them to a high status despite scans and evidence to the contrary. I don't know what is worse, selective feat picking that has only been done once or twice 20, or more, years ago or ignoring evidence from scans or the lack thereof. We need to stop putting our favorite heroes/villains on pedestals and start putting them where they really belong. But it's evident that people never will because they would rather accuse others of cherry picking feats, when they don't, and being 'morally superior' when they aren't. I guess being honest and as fair as possible only opens one up to being the target of childish accusations and fault finding by those who insist on acting petty and childish. What happened to a good debate between two civil, mature, adults?
Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
Slackware1180




The giant rift that opened above the city was a result of the massive paradox that occurred as a result of Eddie killing himself. Closing it effectively prevented the paradox from wiping out their timeline but caused the breaches into Earth 2. So it's basically been explained already and is in fact the cause of the season 2 problem.

Honestly, though, it's not a big deal. Technically the same argument could be applied to season 1. Eobard's actions in the past should realistically have resulted in such a drastic change to the future that he would have immediately been wiped out of existence. The dozens of other major events he changed probably would have resulted in the same thing. I doubt the show will get cancelled as a result of this. Frankly it would be more confusing if they tried to explain why things stayed the same rather than just glossing over it.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 41.0 on Windows 10
Ed Love




It's why I don't really have high hopes for the Legends spin-off. Season 1 had a lot of problems and plot-holes, Barry generally acting like an idiot, and then all the time-travel focused episodes were nonsensical as not a single one dealt with the issues of time travel consistent with the others. The final episode isn't even internally logically consistent and relied on very intelligent people not asking basic questions, taking Wells at his word. I can give Eddie a pass as he was a cop, but when you have five people in a room with advanced science degrees (Barry, Cisco, Caitlyn, Prof. Stein, Ronnie Raymond) and they all act like idiots... It was like fans saw Jay's helmet at the end and they simply forgot how badly written the rest of the episode really was.

I feel sorry for Jesse Martin. I wonder if he steadily thinks, "at one time I played a really well written police detective..."


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 41.0 on Windows 7
JesusFan


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


The problem here is that Eddie looked to be gravely wouned, not yet dead, when he got sucked into Vortex, so why could he not have become Zoom, as he is a relative to someone who accesses Speed force, correct?

And you would be correct, IF eddie did really die, and evil wells never existed, then we would have the Flash rebooted to Him and his wife now founding Star labs, and barry becoming flash in future still...

Wonder what that final crisis event is to be, the one where flash disappears in the future then?

Did that get averted, or is it still yet to come?





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 41.0 on Linux
JesusFan


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008


Maybe like in Dr who, when he changed things and causes ripples in time...

or like when future is changed, and alternate timeline is created, while the main one goes on as before, like in rebooted Star trek?


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 41.0 on Linux
Reverend Meteor






    Quote:
    I feel sorry for Jesse Martin. I wonder if he steadily thinks, "at one time I played a really well written police detective..."


Back when he was on Law & Order \(devil\)


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 41.0 on Windows NT 4.0

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software