Iron Man Message Board >> View Thread

Author
[REVISIT] 

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 64,835


Iron Man 2020 (1994) #1

> Arno Stark – Iron Man of the year 2020! After his debut in the pages of Machine Man (1984), the visionary (and distant cousin of Tony Stark), returns in this one-shot adventure! Seeking to take down a technical rival who will stop at nothing to destroy him, Arno finds that the cost of doing business may result in loss of life! Plus, a romance with the rival’s daughter Melodi may hit the skids if Arno doesn’t develop new tech fast enough!

COLOR PREVIEW PAGES:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/710116/Previews/261cc0cfbc71fa6ddf805eb23cf05881._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/710116/Previews/2e19b4a4916213338b4557c4d510dea2._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/cmx-images-prod/Item/710116/Previews/08708acce37efc70d875f4a67017d9f8._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

BLACK & WHITE SOURCE:
WHILE comicartfans.com LINKS LAST: Pages in Reverse Order...




















































































Sunset Bain doesn't age well. ;\) Other comments on this ish from 25 years ago?




I miss you, Dan. I miss you, Dad. I miss you, Dan.
I miss you, Dad & Dan. I miss you Dad and Dan. Support Cancer Research.
Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 7
Irn12

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 155


Do you think the entire Tony as adopted and Arno Stark story line was set up for this revisit Iron Man 2020?


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 64.0 on Windows 7
The Mandarin


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,270


I think it was designed to serve multiple purposes. One was to give Stark a living family to interact with, a Mycroft Holmes and an Aunt May. One was to give Stark a source of angst and doubt, in that now he had no lineage of greatness, and therefore had to prove himself worthy of the Stark name. And one reason was, yes, to set up Iron Man 2020, an Iron Man 2020 who would have a greater claim to the Stark name than himself.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 64.0 on Windows 10
Iron Man Unit 007


Member Since: Thu Oct 20, 2011
Posts: 4,447


And yet he still hasn't apparently done a DNA test...

Also in that one shot im2020 tony is old and Arno is young, while in this current time they appear to be close to the same age

Really hoping they reveal that Arno is some type of temporal anachronism, perhaps caused by when Franklin restored tony after crossing/reborn/return, and that Arno is perhaps a copy of evil tony from the crossing.

Or else that this Arno comes from an alternative time line and with the aid of future tech and th controller he brain twisted Howard and Maria Stark and programmed them with fake story about tony and then make a replica of the recorder or reprogrammed the recorder and made that giant armor with the intent to fail to keep tony distracted


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 58.0 on Windows 10
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 3,237


Anything to cleanse the palate of Bendis tripe


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 10
Iron Man Unit 007


Member Since: Thu Oct 20, 2011
Posts: 4,447


Precisely.

If they want tony to have a family, then the book needs to start taking cues from the avengers movies. Marry Pepper or Bethany Cabe and start a family.

Oh wait, only Reed and Sue Richards can do that. Spidey sure can't


Or tony could adopt the Gretel Anders baby that he helped deliver when he lived in the gutter.(I presume the maria stark foundation already provides for the kid)

This whole thing of being adopted after all these years of the character existing is pure garbage and that Tony didn't immediately run some DNA tests is even more stupid.

Or they could say that tony is indeed the son of Howard but not Maria as Stark men seem to get around at times. ;\)

Anyone think Slott is clever enough to undo the adoption garbage?


1. Arno is from a future timeline, he was sick in his future and knew that Stark Tech could likely save him. He's also crazy/evil and wants to replace Tony. So he concocts this screwball scheme to distract Tony with a fake story of him being adopted

2. He builds a fake Recorder, fakes the film from Howard that confesses to Tony being adopted and the giant armor was meant to fail, just keep Tony distracted.

3. Arno later gets access to Extremis and repairs himself.

4. Now he is slowly prepping to replace Tony



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 58.0 on Windows 10
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 3,237


I'd prefer Bethany...though movie Pepper is ok.

Yeah I see no issue with Stark having a child with his true love, starting a family (allowing for Iron Kids stories) and maybe adopting the baby like you said he delivered in his bad days...she could be the adopted older sister. Original unique characters that have a reason for being and eventually taking over...a Stark family would be possibly VERY awesome.

Then THE Stark could come calling. Lots of possibly family ties...even perhaps children he didn't know he had who are angry he wasn't there for them...even though he never knew they existed.

All better than regressing Tony like Bendis did for a cheap replacement and some terrible attempt at a cool super spy rock n roll mommie. Because Maria wasn't kool enough right...I mean Tony only ever thinks about how he misses her every day right?


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 10
Iron Man Unit 007


Member Since: Thu Oct 20, 2011
Posts: 4,447


THE Stark....as in the alien race from the Guardians? Could be interesting, he was taken to their future once but was returned the instant he left so his memories should not exist of that adventure.

Still what does everyone else think? Should Tony in the comics start a family after this adoption junk is removed?


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 64.0 on Windows 7
The Mandarin


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,270



    Quote:
    All better than regressing Tony like Bendis did for a cheap replacement and some terrible attempt at a cool super spy rock n roll mommie. Because Maria wasn't kool enough right...I mean Tony only ever thinks about how he misses her every day right?


I don't think it's that she wasn't kool enough, so much as she was dead. This left Stark with really no one to interact with as family. Y'know, one of the most brilliant things in the Batman mythos is making Alfred a surrogate father. It allows Wayne to have his cake and eat it too when it comes to parental angst. He gets to mourn his parents, while also interacting with and worrying about a father-figure.

Stark doesn't have that. I see Amanda as an attempt to fix that. Maybe they botched the execution, but the core idea is valid.

At least I hope they just botched the execution. My fear is that Amanda failed because blandness is now so deep in Iron Man's DNA, has sooo much historical inertia behind it, that the character is now unfixable. I mean, if his classic status quo is bland, and any change to his status quo is rejected out of hand, then he's just screwed, a bad example of entertainment product engineering that can never be upgraded. Given his character-concept, that would be a supremely ironic Hell for him to end up in.

And of course mixed in with all of that is me really really really loving the idea that Amanda was always a Mandarin scheme to mess with Stark's head. My desire for the Iron Man comic to be successfully upgraded with tropes that have a proven financial success record is stronger than my desire to see the Mandarin psychologically torture Stark, but it's competitive.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 64.0 on Windows 10
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 3,237



    Quote:
    THE Stark....as in the alien race from the Guardians? Could be interesting, he was taken to their future once but was returned the instant he left so his memories should not exist of that adventure.



    Quote:
    Still what does everyone else think? Should Tony in the comics start a family after this adoption junk is removed?


Yes the alien race that kind of have adopted him as their father figure. \:\)

The adoption junk should be removed...it was only there so Bendis could pander to his personal life..it failed with Fraction and it failed with Bendis.

I have no problems with him settling down and having a family...hes been used as a father figure with different flavors in lots of alternate futures...Young Avengers, THE STARK. I think they should be careful though...take the time to set up a fantastic female co-lead (or my Bethany \:P ), make it stick true (Avengers 4 actually had me soften a little on Pepper when you see Tony opening up to the idea of a family).

I am not 100% against bringing in new characters...and this is a great way to organically do it...not throw in some PC check the boxes teenager from no where that's sudden 100 times better at everything than what came before.


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 10
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 3,237



    Quote:

      Quote:
      All better than regressing Tony like Bendis did for a cheap replacement and some terrible attempt at a cool super spy rock n roll mommie. Because Maria wasn't kool enough right...I mean Tony only ever thinks about how he misses her every day right?



    Quote:
    I don't think it's that she wasn't kool enough, so much as she was dead. This left Stark with really no one to interact with as family. Y'know, one of the most brilliant things in the Batman mythos is making Alfred a surrogate father. It allows Wayne to have his cake and eat it too when it comes to parental angst. He gets to mourn his parents, while also interacting with and worrying about a father-figure.



    Quote:
    Stark doesn't have that. I see Amanda as an attempt to fix that. Maybe they botched the execution, but the core idea is valid.



    Quote:
    At least I hope they just botched the execution. My fear is that Amanda failed because blandness is now so deep in Iron Man's DNA, has sooo much historical inertia behind it, that the character is now unfixable. I mean, if his classic status quo is bland, and any change to his status quo is rejected out of hand, then he's just screwed, a bad example of entertainment product engineering that can never be upgraded. Given his character-concept, that would be a supremely ironic Hell for him to end up in.



    Quote:
    And of course mixed in with all of that is me really really really loving the idea that Amanda was always a Mandarin scheme to mess with Stark's head. My desire for the Iron Man comic to be successfully upgraded with tropes that have a proven financial success record is stronger than my desire to see the Mandarin psychologically torture Stark, but it's competitive.


You could do both...you could have The Mandarin pull his move...and then when the soft needed reboot comes to marvel make him a lot more like movie Stark.


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 10
Iron Man Unit 007


Member Since: Thu Oct 20, 2011
Posts: 4,447


Seeing a return of the Stark could be interesting to see.

As to who should marry Tony, it should be pepper or Bethany or perhaps the wasp or black widow

Also I think there is a minor dangling character plot thread from the Oneil run.....Indries Moomji. Last I saw her was when. Rhodey caught her and wanted her to undo what she did to drive e tony back to the bottle but she couldn't or wouldn't. I wouldnt mind seeing tony get some revenge on her.

But otherwise no new generic love interest like Fujikawa ended up being.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 58.0 on Windows 10
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 3,237


Well IMO Bethany Hands down she was the first to see right through him.
She was strong and independent and stood by him in rough times.

Id say no to wasp because of the connection to Hank...it seems a little conflicty?

Just as an odd throwout...imagine someone like The Enchantress. Tony has helped so many other villains become heros...a little twist on the take of a Knight saving the Evil Sorceress by saving her soul and 2 people who have had their fair share of carnal pleasures finding peace with each other...and magic meets science...etc...think would make an interesting ying-yang...or maybe Morgan Le fae...etc... ;\)


Posted with Google Chrome 64.0.3282.140 on Windows 10
The Mandarin


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,270



    Quote:
    But otherwise no new generic love interest like Fujikawa ended up being.


Rumiko was not generic!








Posted with Mozilla Firefox 64.0 on Windows 10
Iron Man Unit 007


Member Since: Thu Oct 20, 2011
Posts: 4,447


Well wasp and Hank are splits these days and isn't Hank still merged with Ultron since they didn't know what else to do with them?

Pepper did vacillate between happy and tony for a time then chose Happy, but he's gone now.

Bethany, yeah she figured out he was iron Man and helped him kick the bottle the first time. Had she been around there wouldn't have been a second time. She's smart and capable despite being compromised by the controller at the moment. Also I am curious how long she has been under control. As I recall she vanished during the crossing and was not present at his rebirth party in vol three.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 58.0 on Windows 10
MysteryMan


Member Since: Fri Apr 28, 2017
Posts: 3,237



    Quote:
    Well wasp and Hank are splits these days and isn't Hank still merged with Ultron since they didn't know what else to do with them?



    Quote:
    Pepper did vacillate between happy and tony for a time then chose Happy, but he's gone now.



    Quote:
    Bethany, yeah she figured out he was iron Man and helped him kick the bottle the first time. Had she been around there wouldn't have been a second time. She's smart and capable despite being compromised by the controller at the moment. Also I am curious how long she has been under control. As I recall she vanished during the crossing and was not present at his rebirth party in vol three.


Yeah...personally I don't see how Tony can look at her without at least some thought bubbles of..."if only".


Posted with Mozilla 11.0 on Windows 10

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2018 Powermad Software