Justice League of America >> View Thread

Author
MattS80




he never appears. It looked like he was going to appear in the latest JLA arc, but no luck so far. Red herring, I guess. Speaking of, how many times has Starro fought the JLA? What issues? Does Starro really talk or anything? I don't know much about the character, but for possibly the JLAs worst enemy, he rarely appears. Odd.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Scott




I imagine that Starro's lack of appearances is because writers probably think to themselves "how much can actually be done with a giant starfish?"

Starro's appearances listed at the DC Guide:
Brave and the Bold #28 (February-March 1960) "Starro the Conqueror"
Justice League of America #27 (May 1964) "The 'I' Who Defeated the Justice League"
Justice League of America #65 (September 1968) "T.O. Morrow Kills the Justice League - Today"
Adventure Comics #451 (May-June 1977) "The Secret of the Sinister Abyss"
Justice League of America #189 (April 1981) "The Return of the Starfish Conqueror"
Justice League of America #190 (May 1981) "Our Friends, Our Enemies"
Captain Carrot & His Amazing Zoo Crew #1 (March 1982) "The Pluto Syndrome"
Crisis on Infinite Earths #9 (December 1985) "War Zone"
Justice League Europe #25 (April 1991) "Nightcrawlers!"
Justice League Europe #26 (May 1991) "Stars In Your Eyes"
Justice League Europe #27 (June 1991) "The Vagabond King"
Justice League Europe #28 (July 1991) "The Man Who Wears the Stars"

Scott


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Zazu




> I imagine that Starro's lack of appearances is because writers probably think to themselves "how much can actually be done with a giant starfish?"
>
> Starro's appearances listed at the DC Guide:
> Brave and the Bold #28 (February-March 1960) "Starro the Conqueror"
> Justice League of America #27 (May 1964) "The 'I' Who Defeated the Justice League"
> Justice League of America #65 (September 1968) "T.O. Morrow Kills the Justice League - Today"
> Adventure Comics #451 (May-June 1977) "The Secret of the Sinister Abyss"
> Justice League of America #189 (April 1981) "The Return of the Starfish Conqueror"
> Justice League of America #190 (May 1981) "Our Friends, Our Enemies"
> Captain Carrot & His Amazing Zoo Crew #1 (March 1982) "The Pluto Syndrome"
> Crisis on Infinite Earths #9 (December 1985) "War Zone"
> Justice League Europe #25 (April 1991) "Nightcrawlers!"
> Justice League Europe #26 (May 1991) "Stars In Your Eyes"
> Justice League Europe #27 (June 1991) "The Vagabond King"
> Justice League Europe #28 (July 1991) "The Man Who Wears the Stars"

Starro also appeared in JLA #23-24 and one of the JLA Secret Files and Origins. I think the JLA: SF&O story was reprinted in the recent Greatest JLA Stories Ever Told but I don't have it handy to check.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
MattS80




> > I imagine that Starro's lack of appearances is because writers probably think to themselves "how much can actually be done with a giant starfish?"
> >
> > Starro's appearances listed at the DC Guide:
> > Brave and the Bold #28 (February-March 1960) "Starro the Conqueror"
> > Justice League of America #27 (May 1964) "The 'I' Who Defeated the Justice League"
> > Justice League of America #65 (September 1968) "T.O. Morrow Kills the Justice League - Today"
> > Adventure Comics #451 (May-June 1977) "The Secret of the Sinister Abyss"
> > Justice League of America #189 (April 1981) "The Return of the Starfish Conqueror"
> > Justice League of America #190 (May 1981) "Our Friends, Our Enemies"
> > Captain Carrot & His Amazing Zoo Crew #1 (March 1982) "The Pluto Syndrome"
> > Crisis on Infinite Earths #9 (December 1985) "War Zone"
> > Justice League Europe #25 (April 1991) "Nightcrawlers!"
> > Justice League Europe #26 (May 1991) "Stars In Your Eyes"
> > Justice League Europe #27 (June 1991) "The Vagabond King"
> > Justice League Europe #28 (July 1991) "The Man Who Wears the Stars"
>
> Starro also appeared in JLA #23-24 and one of the JLA Secret Files and Origins. I think the JLA: SF&O story was reprinted in the recent Greatest JLA Stories Ever Told but I don't have it handy to check.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Superman's Pal




If anyone can nutshell it, what's the difference between "Starro the Conqueror" and "The Star Conqueror?" They're both giant alien starfish who control peoples' minds right?

Isn't Starro the one who's been showing up in recent years such as in the Human Defense Corps, and currently in JLofA (or at least his Starlings or whatever they're called)?





Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
MattS80




> If anyone can nutshell it, what's the difference between "Starro the Conqueror" and "The Star Conqueror?" They're both giant alien starfish who control peoples' minds right?
>
> Isn't Starro the one who's been showing up in recent years such as in the Human Defense Corps, and currently in JLofA (or at least his Starlings or whatever they're called)?
>
>
>


It says that the Star Conqueror IS related to Starro, but they said the how of it is unrevealed. I guess they never got around to explaining it.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Scott




From Wikipedia:
During Grant Morrison's run on JLA, the team twice faced a different member of Starro's race; this member was much larger, colored green rather than purple, and was known simply as "the Star Conqueror" or "It". When it first appeared, it took control of the Flash and countless innocents in a town, intending to capture and control the rest of the JLA when they arrived and use them to form a galaxy-conquering army. However, the Spectre warned the JLA about this, and they thus convinced the Spectre to briefly remove their powers for the battle. While the rest of the team kept the Star Conqueror's slaves distracted, Batman, the only team member with no powers anyway, immobilised the Flash and drove the Star Conqueror away. In its second appearance, this creature manipulated the dream worlds of the people under its control, and was finally captured by the Lord of the Dreaming with the League's assistance.

Scott


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
TJ Burns




> If anyone can nutshell it, what's the difference between "Starro the Conqueror" and "The Star Conqueror?" They're both giant alien starfish who control peoples' minds right?
>
> Isn't Starro the one who's been showing up in recent years such as in the Human Defense Corps, and currently in JLofA (or at least his Starlings or whatever they're called)?

Just FYI, Starro didn't actually appear in Human Defense Corps. Just a simulation of him as part of the government's training project of what to do in case of Starro attack. \:\)

Oddly, this means his last appearance was JLE, doesn't it? He was defeated there by being frozen solid by Ice while on J'onn's head. \:\)


TJB


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.9 on Windows XP
Superman's Pal




> > Isn't Starro the one who's been showing up in recent years such as in the Human Defense Corps, and currently in JLofA (or at least his Starlings or whatever they're called)?

Correcting myself ... Starlings are Evil Star's little guys right? Starro doesn't really have a name for his starfish does he?

> Just FYI, Starro didn't actually appear in Human Defense Corps. Just a simulation of him as part of the government's training project of what to do in case of Starro attack. \:\)

I thought it was the real deal but I'll take your word on that. Though Gail Simone did use those microscopic Starros in her JLA: Classified arc.

> Oddly, this means his last appearance was JLE, doesn't it? He was defeated there by being frozen solid by Ice while on J'onn's head. \:\)

So the one that appeared in JLA/Avengers must have been the Star Conqueror?





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.9 on Windows XP
TJ Burns




> > > Isn't Starro the one who's been showing up in recent years such as in the Human Defense Corps, and currently in JLofA (or at least his Starlings or whatever they're called)?
>
> Correcting myself ... Starlings are Evil Star's little guys right? Starro doesn't really have a name for his starfish does he?

Yes. They are Starro. \:\) The JLE issue established, if it hadn't been before that, that each starfish is part of the hivemind of Starro himself.

> > Just FYI, Starro didn't actually appear in Human Defense Corps. Just a simulation of him as part of the government's training project of what to do in case of Starro attack. \:\)
>
> I thought it was the real deal but I'll take your word on that.

The issue presented it that way until the very end, where the sergeant peeled the Starro off his face and explained it to the scared recruits.

Though Gail Simone did use those microscopic Starros in her JLA: Classified arc.

I'd forgot that, probably because it just didn't have Starro's verve and flair. \:\)

> > Oddly, this means his last appearance was JLE, doesn't it? He was defeated there by being frozen solid by Ice while on J'onn's head. \:\)
>
> So the one that appeared in JLA/Avengers must have been the Star Conqueror?

I tend to overlook appearances there, even though it's definately in-continuity. \:\)


TJB


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.9 on Windows XP
Beowulf




> From Wikipedia:
> During Grant Morrison's run on JLA, the team twice faced a different member of Starro's race; this member was much larger, colored green rather than purple, and was known simply as "the Star Conqueror" or "It". When it first appeared, it took control of the Flash and countless innocents in a town, intending to capture and control the rest of the JLA when they arrived and use them to form a galaxy-conquering army. However, the Spectre warned the JLA about this, and they thus convinced
the Spectre to briefly remove their powers for the battle. While the rest of the team kept the Star Conqueror's slaves distracted, Batman, the only team member with no powers anyway, immobilised the Flash and drove the Star Conqueror away. In its second appearance, this creature manipulated the dream worlds of the people under its control, and was finally captured by the Lord of the Dreaming with the League's assistance.
>
> Scott


It is pretty obvious, that the Star Conqueror was a updated version of Starro, meant to be more intimidating by Morrison.

The JLA acted like they had not the slighest idea of the danger they faced or noticed the uncanny similarity to their old foe. No one said stuff like: Flying little stars and mindcontrol? You think, that this critter is maybe Starro in a new form or his bigger badder brother?

But apparently good ole Starro somehow crept back into continuity, leaving this little inconsistency most likely a result of SPB retcon punches. \:\-D


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Windows 98
Omar Karindu




> > From Wikipedia:
> > During Grant Morrison's run on JLA, the team twice faced a different member of Starro's race; this member was much larger, colored green rather than purple, and was known simply as "the Star Conqueror" or "It". When it first appeared, it took control of the Flash and countless innocents in a town, intending to capture and control the rest of the JLA when they arrived and use them to form a galaxy-conquering army. However, the Spectre warned the JLA about this, and they thus convinced
> the Spectre to briefly remove their powers for the battle. While the rest of the team kept the Star Conqueror's slaves distracted, Batman, the only team member with no powers anyway, immobilised the Flash and drove the Star Conqueror away. In its second appearance, this creature manipulated the dream worlds of the people under its control, and was finally captured by the Lord of the Dreaming with the League's assistance.
> >
> > Scott
>
>
> It is pretty obvious, that the Star Conqueror was a updated version of Starro, meant to be more intimidating by Morrison.
>
> The JLA acted like they had not the slighest idea of the danger they faced or noticed the uncanny similarity to their old foe. No one said stuff like: Flying little stars and mindcontrol? You think, that this critter is maybe Starro in a new form or his bigger badder brother?
>
> But apparently good ole Starro somehow crept back into continuity, leaving this little inconsistency most likely a result of SPB retcon punches. \:\-D

In JLA #23, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it line in which Batman refers back to "similar past invasions" as "weaker probes" and a Starro attack on the JLA is shown on a display screen in the background.

The implication here is that Starro is identical with the Star Conqueror, and that the latter is just the more powerful version that sent out the previous Starros as extensions/probes. I seem to recall Morrison saying as much interviews around that time. DC editorial seem to have demanded that the two be separate characters, based on the Secret Files entries.

- Omar Karindu

"A Renoir. I have three, myself. I had four, but ordered one burned...It
displeased me." -- Doctor Doom


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
Beowulf




> > > From Wikipedia:
> > > During Grant Morrison's run on JLA, the team twice faced a different member of Starro's race; this member was much larger, colored green rather than purple, and was known simply as "the Star Conqueror" or "It". When it first appeared, it took control of the Flash and countless innocents in a town, intending to capture and control the rest of the JLA when they arrived and use them to form a galaxy-conquering army. However, the Spectre warned the JLA about this, and they thus convinced
> > the Spectre to briefly remove their powers for the battle. While the rest of the team kept the Star Conqueror's slaves distracted, Batman, the only team member with no powers anyway, immobilised the Flash and drove the Star Conqueror away. In its second appearance, this creature manipulated the dream worlds of the people under its control, and was finally captured by the Lord of the Dreaming with the League's assistance.
> > >
> > > Scott
> >
> >
> > It is pretty obvious, that the Star Conqueror was a updated version of Starro, meant to be more intimidating by Morrison.
> >
> > The JLA acted like they had not the slighest idea of the danger they faced or noticed the uncanny similarity to their old foe. No one said stuff like: Flying little stars and mindcontrol? You think, that this critter is maybe Starro in a new form or his bigger badder brother?
> >
> > But apparently good ole Starro somehow crept back into continuity, leaving this little inconsistency most likely a result of SPB retcon punches. \:\-D
>
> In JLA #23, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it line in which Batman refers back to "similar past invasions" as "weaker probes" and a Starro attack on the JLA is shown on a display screen in the background.
>

I thought he was referring to the Star Conqueror's first attack in Blue Vally.
Guess i did miss Starro in the background. Now i have to go thru my back issues and find it.
Could have been a drawing mismatch though.
But they still made no actual references to Starro itself, the first time, the Star Conqueror's minions turned up or named him the second time.

> The implication here is that Starro is identical with the Star Conqueror, and that the latter is just the more powerful version that sent out the previous Starros as extensions/probes. I seem to recall Morrison saying as much interviews around that time. DC editorial seem to have demanded that the two be separate characters, based on the Secret Files entries.
>
> - Omar Karindu
>



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Windows 98
Jeff Harvey




> > > From Wikipedia:
> > > During Grant Morrison's run on JLA, the team twice faced a different member of Starro's race; this member was much larger, colored green rather than purple, and was known simply as "the Star Conqueror" or "It". When it first appeared, it took control of the Flash and countless innocents in a town, intending to capture and control the rest of the JLA when they arrived and use them to form a galaxy-conquering army. However, the Spectre warned the JLA about this, and they thus convinced
> > the Spectre to briefly remove their powers for the battle. While the rest of the team kept the Star Conqueror's slaves distracted, Batman, the only team member with no powers anyway, immobilised the Flash and drove the Star Conqueror away. In its second appearance, this creature manipulated the dream worlds of the people under its control, and was finally captured by the Lord of the Dreaming with the League's assistance.
> > >
> > > Scott
> >
> >
> > It is pretty obvious, that the Star Conqueror was a updated version of Starro, meant to be more intimidating by Morrison.
> >
> > The JLA acted like they had not the slighest idea of the danger they faced or noticed the uncanny similarity to their old foe. No one said stuff like: Flying little stars and mindcontrol? You think, that this critter is maybe Starro in a new form or his bigger badder brother?
> >
> > But apparently good ole Starro somehow crept back into continuity, leaving this little inconsistency most likely a result of SPB retcon punches. \:\-D
>
> In JLA #23, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it line in which Batman refers back to "similar past invasions" as "weaker probes" and a Starro attack on the JLA is shown on a display screen in the background.
>
> The implication here is that Starro is identical with the Star Conqueror, and that the latter is just the more powerful version that sent out the previous Starros as extensions/probes. I seem to recall Morrison saying as much interviews around that time. DC editorial seem to have demanded that the two be separate characters, based on the Secret Files entries.
>
> - Omar Karindu
>
> "A Renoir. I have three, myself. I had four, but ordered one burned...It
> displeased me." -- Doctor Doom


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software