Justice League of America >> View Thread





gallifrey.monkeylord.net (23.11.196.3)
using Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows 2000 (0.11 points)




gallifrey.monkeylord.net (23.11.196.3)
using Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP (0.48 points)
Author
Hawkeye7




How would comprise the worst Justice League roster out of people who have been on one version of the team or the other? To keep it less obvious, the members of JLAntarctica are excluded unless they also belonged to another version. Let's also say no more than seven members, to balance out the big seven. Who would you choose?

I would go with:

1. The Beefeater. His name is the Beefeater, and his power is a big stick. Yay, England!

2. Triumph. Time lost loser with potential, who never got anything right.

3. L'Ron (pre-Despero body). A smart aleck robot...how C3PO!

4. Aztek. Seriously? Aztek? The guy with the weird helmut whose own series lasted like 5 issues? What barrel were we scraping the bottom of that week?

5. The Yazz. Yazz-tastic!

6. Ice-Maiden. See, Ice died. Then Fire got lonely. Then we found a lame Ice clone. Problem solved!

7. Big Barda. You know, I really don't have a problem with her as a character. I think mostly its the name. Seriously, that's her name? Look up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's...Big Barda? That works for who? Besides which, why did we need her on a team that already had Wonder Woman as a member and Power Girl as an active reserve?

The Beefeater
Triumph
L'Ron
Aztek
The Yazz
Ice-Maiden
Big Barda

A team for the ages.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
CSBlakebrough




G'nort from that roster! \:D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Green_Lanterns#G.27nort

Actually i like the guy, dog, whatever!
But he was useless! \:\)

> How would comprise the worst Justice League roster out of people who have been on one version of the team or the other? To keep it less obvious, the members of JLAntarctica are excluded unless they also belonged to another version. Let's also say no more than seven members, to balance out the big seven. Who would you choose?
>
> I would go with:
>
> 1. The Beefeater. His name is the Beefeater, and his power is a big stick. Yay, England!
>
> 2. Triumph. Time lost loser with potential, who never got anything right.
>
> 3. L'Ron (pre-Despero body). A smart aleck robot...how C3PO!
>
> 4. Aztek. Seriously? Aztek? The guy with the weird helmut whose own series lasted like 5 issues? What barrel were we scraping the bottom of that week?
>
> 5. The Yazz. Yazz-tastic!
>
> 6. Ice-Maiden. See, Ice died. Then Fire got lonely. Then we found a lame Ice clone. Problem solved!
>
> 7. Big Barda. You know, I really don't have a problem with her as a character. I think mostly its the name. Seriously, that's her name? Look up in the sky! It's a bird, it's a plane, it's...Big Barda? That works for who? Besides which, why did we need her on a team that already had Wonder Woman as a member and Power Girl as an active reserve?
>
> The Beefeater
> Triumph
> L'Ron
> Aztek
> The Yazz
> Ice-Maiden
> Big Barda
>
> A team for the ages.

Carl S Blakebrough
"Actually, I think I'd take a life to sleep with Boomer or Six." - Henrique Ferreira


The Doctor Who Message Board
The Doctor Who Message Board

Checkmate Message Board
The Checkmate Message Board

Green Arrow Message Board
The Green Arrow Message Board

Vertigo/Wildstorm Message Board
The Vertigo/Wildstorm Message Board


Hawkeye7




> G'nort from that roster! \:D
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Green_Lanterns#G.27nort
>
> Actually i like the guy, dog, whatever!
> But he was useless! \:\)

I think because he has one of the most powerful weapons in the universe on his finger, which means he has the potential to be very useful...if only by accident. Plus so many of us love the little guy that I just couldn't pull the trigger. Some of the characters from the Giffen League get a pass from me because of the tenor of that League and my own fond memories. Which I guess speaks to how badly I cannot stand L'Ron and Beefeater!


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
JimJ




> > G'nort from that roster! \:D
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Green_Lanterns#G.27nort
> >
> > Actually i like the guy, dog, whatever!
> > But he was useless! \:\)
>
> I think because he has one of the most powerful weapons in the universe on his finger, which means he has the potential to be very useful...if only by accident. Plus so many of us love the little guy that I just couldn't pull the trigger. Some of the characters from the Giffen League get a pass from me because of the tenor of that League and my own fond memories. Which I guess speaks to how badly I cannot stand L'Ron and Beefeater!


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Hawkeye7




I am honostly curious. In your mind, what set this particular character apart and made him interesting? I picked up his first issue and the issue in which he joined the League, and wasn't particularly drawn in. What was it for you?


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
JimJ




> I am honostly curious. In your mind, what set this particular character apart and made him interesting? I picked up his first issue and the issue in which he joined the League, and wasn't particularly drawn in. What was it for you?

I admit that his time with the League wasn't much, especially given that the decision was being made then to not only cancel his book but completely revamp League membership as well; and the first issue of his book was a little confusing, but it got so much better; such as the 2-part Batman team-up vs the Joker, the meeting with Green Lantern and the final issue when he gets inducted into the JLA; were really cool. I liked the costume(even got a guy to make a custom Aztek figure), the premise behind the story, especially that the group he worked for probably killed his dad, and his powers. Even Batman respected him.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
little kon-el




I've picked up Aztek on and off for a while and it was an interesting character to play with in the DCUniverse. His character showed a transition between grim and gritty and lightheartedness. Here was a character that has a very silver-agey origin that is thrust upon a "wildstorm-image grim" city that turns all it's heroes into gun-toting maniacs or insane vigilantes. The series with Aztek showed a character that was lighthearted but could get the job done in a way that didn't stoop to grim and gritty to get the job done. Despite the revelations of his past and his possible future, the character always found a way to look at things in a manner that was both realistic and heroic.

Morrison and Millar were at their top form in writing this character. There are so many little things that added up to the story such a unique story: the stalker/hero groupie, the insane hawksmoor architecture of Vanity, the bewildering and psychedilic threats, and even the last issue where we got to see the top secret initiation of the JLA where heroes must say an oath over the cape, mask and fedora of the Crimson Avenger...the "first" masked man.

Aztek is the first time you see the really neat hints about the Morrison/JLA run and really the first time you see Morrison getting into his Superhero groove in a mainstream book. Well worth the price of admission.

- little kon-el



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
CSBlakebrough




> > G'nort from that roster! \:D
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Green_Lanterns#G.27nort
> >
> > Actually i like the guy, dog, whatever!
> > But he was useless! \:\)
>
> I think because he has one of the most powerful weapons in the universe on his finger, which means he has the potential to be very useful...if only by accident. Plus so many of us love the little guy that I just couldn't pull the trigger. Some of the characters from the Giffen League get a pass from me because of the tenor of that League and my own fond memories. Which I guess speaks to how badly I cannot stand L'Ron and Beefeater!

Maybe G'nort can stop by and visit Hal sometime! ;-p

Carl S Blakebrough
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on" - Dean Martin


The Doctor Who Message Board
The Doctor Who Message Board

Checkmate Message Board
The Checkmate Message Board

Green Arrow Message Board
The Green Arrow Message Board

Vertigo/Wildstorm Message Board
The Vertigo/Wildstorm Message Board

Omar Karindu




> I am honostly curious. In your mind, what set this particular character apart and made him interesting? I picked up his first issue and the issue in which he joined the League, and wasn't particularly drawn in. What was it for you?

That Aztek's plotline in his own book and in JLA were that Luthor was manipulating things behind the scenes to make sure that the League recruited him, by setting him up in situations where he'd impress Superman and the like. Morrison didn't shoehorn him onto the League as a Mary Sue, but rather as a potential mole.

I will say that the Aztek title suffers in that it really needs to be read all at once; information about him and his mission wasn't really revealed until issues #5-6, and for that matter, issue #1 is designed to be undercut by issue #2. My favorite bit in the series is that Aztek's assumed ID as Curt Falconer is instantly seen through because people at the hospital knew Falconer and know this guy isn't him. What looks like a silly secret identity plot device in #1 turns out to be a stunning example of Aztek's naivete in #2.

- Omar Karindu

"A Renoir. I have three, myself. I had four, but ordered one burned...It
displeased me." -- Doctor Doom

"It's not, 'Oh, they killed Sue Dibney and I always loved that character,' it's 'Oh, they broke a story engine that could have told a thousand stories in order to publish a single 'important' one.'" -- John Seavey


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
Omar Karindu




The basic idea was that Aztek/Uno was a Silver Age superhero in temperament dropped into the darkened, Vertigo and Frank Miller-influenced DCU. His origin, his villains, his supporting cast, and his city were all from the 90s superhero genre and bore the requisite elements of mysticism, conspiracy theory, cynicism, and ultraviolence, but he himself was an old-school hero.

The sheer weirdness of the contrast was what fueled the book; the only other characters who seemed a bit Silver Age-y were, appropriately enough, the Lizard King, who was twisted by those "DCU of the 90s" conspiracy-origin elements into a villain; and Miss Liberty and Mr. America, who similarly turned into Death-Doll and Bloodtype as if they'd been slightly goofy 60s characters put through the post-Crisis grittification process.

And of course the first issue, with the very Silver Age villain the Piper being brutally exterminated by the apotheosis of grim 1990s antiheroism, set that whole contrast up quite nicely. The whole book was sort of about what had happened to the 60s DC characters and publishing ethos.

> I've picked up Aztek on and off for a while and it was an interesting character to play with in the DCUniverse. His character showed a transition between grim and gritty and lightheartedness. Here was a character that has a very silver-agey origin that is thrust upon a "wildstorm-image grim" city that turns all it's heroes into gun-toting maniacs or insane vigilantes. The series with Aztek showed a character that was lighthearted but could get the job done in a way that didn't stoop to grim and gritty to get the job done. Despite the revelations of his past and his possible future, the character always found a way to look at things in a manner that was both realistic and heroic.
>
> Morrison and Millar were at their top form in writing this character. There are so many little things that added up to the story such a unique story: the stalker/hero groupie, the insane hawksmoor architecture of Vanity, the bewildering and psychedilic threats, and even the last issue where we got to see the top secret initiation of the JLA where heroes must say an oath over the cape, mask and fedora of the Crimson Avenger...the "first" masked man.
>
> Aztek is the first time you see the really neat hints about the Morrison/JLA run and really the first time you see Morrison getting into his Superhero groove in a mainstream book. Well worth the price of admission.
>
> - little kon-el
>

- Omar Karindu

"A Renoir. I have three, myself. I had four, but ordered one burned...It
displeased me." -- Doctor Doom

"It's not, 'Oh, they killed Sue Dibney and I always loved that character,' it's 'Oh, they broke a story engine that could have told a thousand stories in order to publish a single 'important' one.'" -- John Seavey


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software