Justice League of America >> View Thread

Author
emerickman




JLA 13:

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=7946
http://www.dcworld.it/public/dcforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4144

Beautiful times 23. To be succinct. Beautiful. To be more succinct.

There were lots of notable story moments throughout but the art, inks, color and even lettering were eye candy 23 for all 23 pages. 24 if you count the wraparound as two. Sure, there's fair debate to be said for realistic plainer heroes looking good in a comic book but if you're in the mood for 'good looking', all the characters were in super-poser mode.

Some of the beautiful story moments included:

Bats' escape and recapture (with precendents making it believable).
Blaise Pascal quote (with its relevance on a kickass double splash title page).
GA cameo (lucky guy gets to look forward to what's at the end of BC's 'war story' *love*).
The battle plans (with the logic).
Superman's suggestion accepted (and the reason given later).
Logos in action.
Innocuous hairdo banter (followed up with hair raising action).
Not to repeat myself about the art -- I mentioned it was beautiful right? Well, Ivy's entrance was SO beautiful that you can imagine how the CCA censors overlooked the projectile vomitting and explosive diarrhea thing. ;\)
Superman/Vixen talk (and all Kal does for her).
"Bastard!!" (though the KRAKed neck probably hurt more).
The tooth! (By Zeus, the tooth!)
BL.
Final faceoff.

Okay, at this point most of the Justice League should be dead. Ain't gonna happen so I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride -- AND the beautiful good guys and bad guys!



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
BlakGard




> Not to repeat myself about the art -- I mentioned it was beautiful
> right? Well, Ivy's entrance was SO beautiful that you can imagine how
> the CCA censors overlooked the projectile vomitting and explosive
> diarrhea thing. ;\)

To be honest, I wish McDuffie wouldn't have included an explanation of what Poison Ivy did (or at least not this explanation). Mycobacterium paratuberculosis (MP) isn't going to have that affect that quickly, no matter how quickly she increases their population. Usually benign in humans, the possible effects (it's still debated whether or not there are actual effects) of MP in humans is due to years of the body fighting the infection. It's not something that a person will feel in a few seconds/minutes.

Also, these effects (if theories are correct) are manageable but irreversible (at least with our technology). So what? John Stewart now has an incurable, though not deadly, disease? Groovy... hope he's cured somehow.

Otherwise, like you, I really enjoyed this issue.
____________________




Posted with Netscape Navigator 8.1.3 on Windows XP
Raz




I am in complete agreement with you about the writing....there was more action in this one issue of JLA than there has been in Meltzer's whole *year* of stories - and the best part is, no characterisation was sacrificed to do it. Perfect balance.

Things I really enjoyed:

*Batman is awesome, but not undefeatable. Bats has been pretty much omnipotent the past bunch of years, it's good to see him once again being written as someone who can easily stand on equal ground with the most powerful heroes on the planet but is still a human being.

*Superman and Vixen's scene: I intensely dislike this whole thing with Vixen at the moment where she's gone from copying animal abilities to leeching abilities from humans, but that scene said a lot about both Superman and Vixen without any wasted space.

*Poison Ivy taking down Green Lantern....I like when the more subtle powers get to be as effective as the planet-movers..

I am very much looking forward to seeing how the JLA get out of this one - this is what a superhero comic book SHOULD be.

The art though....maybe I was spoiled by the beautifully rendered Wedding Special, but going from that to this was really jarring. It reminded me of early Image, and I really really dislike that so many artists draw Black Canary as if she were being played by Jenna Jamieson. Dinah should look sexy and athletic, not sexy and inflatable....having said that though, the art is presentable, it's just not a style I appreciate. So big thumbs up for JLA...I'm glad I forced myself to pick it up again after Meltzer's run left me so thoroughly bored with it.

:)


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Halo82




Why is John Stewart on the team and what was the first part of "Unlimited".

> JLA 13:
>
> http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=7946
> http://www.dcworld.it/public/dcforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4144
>
> Beautiful times 23. To be succinct. Beautiful. To be more succinct.
>
> There were lots of notable story moments throughout but the art, inks, color and even lettering were eye candy 23 for all 23 pages. 24 if you count the wraparound as two. Sure, there's fair debate to be said for realistic plainer heroes looking good in a comic book but if you're in the mood for 'good looking', all the characters were in super-poser mode.
>
> Some of the beautiful story moments included:
>
> Bats' escape and recapture (with precendents making it believable).
> Blaise Pascal quote (with its relevance on a kickass double splash title page).
> GA cameo (lucky guy gets to look forward to what's at the end of BC's 'war story' *love*).
> The battle plans (with the logic).
> Superman's suggestion accepted (and the reason given later).
> Logos in action.
> Innocuous hairdo banter (followed up with hair raising action).
> Not to repeat myself about the art -- I mentioned it was beautiful right? Well, Ivy's entrance was SO beautiful that you can imagine how the CCA censors overlooked the projectile vomitting and explosive diarrhea thing. ;\)
> Superman/Vixen talk (and all Kal does for her).
> "Bastard!!" (though the KRAKed neck probably hurt more).
> The tooth! (By Zeus, the tooth!)
> BL.
> Final faceoff.
>
> Okay, at this point most of the Justice League should be dead. Ain't gonna happen so I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride -- AND the beautiful good guys and bad guys!
>

*Disclaimer* I do not always think I'm right, I do not have a problem admitting I'm wrong, and I don't consider my opinion to be "fact". If I don't write IMO in front of everything I say or I don't tuck my tail between my legs everytime someone disagrees with me it's simply cause...I mean what I say. I don't say something unless I believe it to be true. So if someone tries to police my opinion or pick an arguement over something trivial all I'll simply say is "read the fine print" I also don't care If I make a grammatical or spelling error. Thank you, have a nice day, Hakuna Matata, Live long and Prosper.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Renegade Comic Forum-Talk about comics with a minimum of modding.

http://s15.invisionfree.com/Renegade_Comic_Forum/index.php?

Insurgency Comic Forum-Where ANYTHING goes.
http://z10.invisionfree.com/Insurgency_Forums/index.php?act=idx


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Smithville Thunderbolt




> Why is John Stewart on the team and what was the first part of "Unlimited".

The first part is the JLA Wedding Special, which you should still be able to find a copy of. That comic will also answer your first question.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.7 on Windows XP
Smithville Thunderbolt




> Superman/Vixen talk (and all Kal does for her).

I thought the characterization of Supes was great here. When she says "How can I thank you?", only then does he take the opportunity to lean on her to tell the others.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.7 on Windows XP

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software