Justice Society of America >> View Thread

Author
Tanthius




Did anyone understand the message "GO" written on the wood pole? Did Midnight carve that? Interesting little hint at... something. Maybe I'm simply too tired right now to think critically enough to place it.

And did this issue make anyone else totally excited for the new Superman. He was being something in 1 issue of his arrival the current Superman hasn't done in years. Inspired. He tries to get back so he wont interfere with their lives because he knows he doesn't belong on a world where things were not ruined. What a stand up guy.

Obsidian is awesome. Nuff said.

Finally it might be possible that Superman's age does indeed make him more powerful. They hint he may be as fast or near to Wally. And Starman is surprised when he resists his powers so easily. In KC he was supposed to be stronger because of his extended exposer to the sun so looks like that may hold in this universe as well. Lets hope he stays around for a good long while and teaches current Superman how to inspire again. After all, the last time he inspired anyone was when he died \:\-P


"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Windows XP
Jason




> Did anyone understand the message "GO" written on the wood pole?

I had assumed it was the first part of "Goth."


> And did this issue make anyone else totally excited for the new Superman.

Yes! I like the older Superman better, personally.

Jason




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Maverick V




My guess is "GO" maybe part of the letter making up the name of maGOg og GOg.

One older wiser superman who have seen losses, need to be in the JSA, serving like a mentor to JLA superman and i guessed this is the way we can have one, provided KC superman don't return back to earth 22 after this story.


> Did anyone understand the message "GO" written on the wood pole? Did Midnight carve that? Interesting little hint at... something. Maybe I'm simply too tired right now to think critically enough to place it.
>
> And did this issue make anyone else totally excited for the new Superman. He was being something in 1 issue of his arrival the current Superman hasn't done in years. Inspired. He tries to get back so he wont interfere with their lives because he knows he doesn't belong on a world where things were not ruined. What a stand up guy.
>
> Obsidian is awesome. Nuff said.
>
> Finally it might be possible that Superman's age does indeed make him more powerful. They hint he may be as fast or near to Wally. And Starman is surprised when he resists his powers so easily. In KC he was supposed to be stronger because of his extended exposer to the sun so looks like that may hold in this universe as well. Lets hope he stays around for a good long while and teaches current Superman how to inspire again. After all, the last time he inspired anyone was when he died \:\-P
>
>
> "An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Ed Love




> Did anyone understand the message "GO" written on the wood pole? Did Midnight carve that? Interesting little hint at... something. Maybe I'm simply too tired right now to think critically enough to place it.
>
Like Jason, I originally thought it meant "Goth", however by the end, it looks like someone is killing not only "New" Gods, but also false gods, so it might relate to that.

> And did this issue make anyone else totally excited for the new Superman. He was being something in 1 issue of his arrival the current Superman hasn't done in years. Inspired. He tries to get back so he wont interfere with their lives because he knows he doesn't belong on a world where things were not ruined. What a stand up guy.

hmm. Not really. For one thing his presence and words make zero sense unless Kingdom Come ended about 6 pages earlier than it really did. Everyone didn't die. By the end of the mini, he looked to be in a good place and they were in the process of rebuilding the relationships between the normal and superhuman populaces. And there's nothing in the story to address that this little continuity error is a story point and not an error or willful ignoring/re-writing continuity to make it fit the story.

Golden-age hero and villain encyclopedia: www.geocities.com/cash_gorman

http://hero-goggles.blogspot.com/


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
Ed Love




Don't know why this duplicated

Golden-age hero and villain encyclopedia: www.geocities.com/cash_gorman

http://hero-goggles.blogspot.com/


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
fred




> > Did anyone understand the message "GO" written on the wood pole?
>
> I had assumed it was the first part of "Goth."
>
>
> > And did this issue make anyone else totally excited for the new Superman.
>
> Yes! I like the older Superman better, personally.
>
> Jason
>
>

Isn't this imposter from early in the KIngdom Come story, maybe even pre-opening page?


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 /bsalsa.com/; on Windows Vista
little kon-el




> > D
> hmm. Not really. For one thing his presence and words make zero sense unless Kingdom Come ended about 6 pages earlier than it really did. Everyone didn't die. By the end of the mini, he looked to be in a good place and they were in the process of rebuilding the relationships between the normal and superhuman populaces. And there's nothing in the story to address that this little continuity error is a story point and not an error or willful ignoring/re-writing continuity to make it fit the story.
>

I'm thinking that this Superman was plucked right after everything went white. When the bomb went off, that might be when Superman was plucked from this world into New Earth.

- l.k.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Windows XP
Tanthius




> > Did anyone understand the message "GO" written on the wood pole? Did Midnight carve that? Interesting little hint at... something. Maybe I'm simply too tired right now to think critically enough to place it.
> >
> Like Jason, I originally thought it meant "Goth", however by the end, it looks like someone is killing not only "New" Gods, but also false gods, so it might relate to that.
>
> > And did this issue make anyone else totally excited for the new Superman. He was being something in 1 issue of his arrival the current Superman hasn't done in years. Inspired. He tries to get back so he wont interfere with their lives because he knows he doesn't belong on a world where things were not ruined. What a stand up guy.
>
> hmm. Not really. For one thing his presence and words make zero sense unless Kingdom Come ended about 6 pages earlier than it really did. Everyone didn't die. By the end of the mini, he looked to be in a good place and they were in the process of rebuilding the relationships between the normal and superhuman populaces. And there's nothing in the story to address that this little continuity error is a story point and not an error or willful ignoring/re-writing continuity to make it fit the story.

I understand this problem but KC was written before all the IC mumbo jumbo. Which means that it may not have finished the same way in the new multiverse. Im a pretty big continuity stickler but any chance to have a Superman that I don't hate gets me going. When Kal-L died I just about burned the issue, im a golden age fan. And the current Superman needs to learn a thing or two about being a real hero and since Billy Batson is now the wizard looks like KC Superman is the next best choice.
>
> Golden-age hero and villain encyclopedia: www.geocities.com/cash_gorman
>
> http://hero-goggles.blogspot.com/

"An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded."


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.8 on Windows XP
Ed Love




> > > D
> > hmm. Not really. For one thing his presence and words make zero sense unless Kingdom Come ended about 6 pages earlier than it really did. Everyone didn't die. By the end of the mini, he looked to be in a good place and they were in the process of rebuilding the relationships between the normal and superhuman populaces. And there's nothing in the story to address that this little continuity error is a story point and not an error or willful ignoring/re-writing continuity to make it fit the story.
> >
>
> I'm thinking that this Superman was plucked right after everything went white. When the bomb went off, that might be when Superman was plucked from this world into New Earth.
>
I thought of that but then what? From the set up that I see here, it means the way this unfolds, he learns about heroism and such from the JSA then goes back to his Earth right after the explosion and helps guide those that survived into the new era and blah, blah, blah.

But to what purpose? It's the tail wagging the dog of making a complete and done story by another writer subservient to the current story. And not "complete and done" in the sense of stories being complete and done in serial fiction, where we expect Per Degaton or Vandal Savage to return one day after dying on panel, but in that it was a complete story in another universe and continuity and set up to be complete in and of itself. It's Doyle having Holmes stopping and telling Poe's Auguste Dupin the solution to "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" while he's on his way to fight Moriarty. If Johns' story is addressing a shortcoming in the KC, a plot hole or continuity glitch, that'd be one thing. Instead it's using KC to elevate the JSA and make the JSA important to the ultimate resolution of the other story.

It'd have been just as easy to start from the end of the story, to start a new chapter. Have Superman somehow end up here at the end and then truly serving as an inspiration to the JSA while searching for some way back home to those that he loves and the new life he's built. It also adds conflict, because if it's truly Superman from the pages within, that limits what can be done to the character. We already know his final destination. But, if it starts after, who knows how long does he stay or if he lives to see the birth of his and Diana's child. I don't mind plucking characters from different books and such, but it should be done in such a way that it leaves the original stories intact, that whatever happens doesn't alter the intregrity of the original story.

I'm reminded of a few horror movies and sequels that I've seen where the sequel starts off by killing off the heroes that survived the first movie. Well, that first movie is now lessened because of what I know now happens five minutes after it ends. That high of seeing the heroes triumphing is now gone, because the triumph is only illusionary (somehow the inverse is not true, having the bad guy somehow return doesn't really lessen the movie unless you're talking about a great death/great sacrifice ala King Kong).

Golden-age hero and villain encyclopedia: www.geocities.com/cash_gorman

http://hero-goggles.blogspot.com/


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
Maestro Drake




> My guess is "GO" maybe part of the letter making up the name of maGOg og GOg.

Let's Hope Magog. I am tired of Gog, at least Magog had clearer motives than simply wanting to kill Superman for kicks.

Also, since the JLA and Wonder Woman show up, will KC Superman make any moves on her? I am also suprised in his X-ray scans he did not check to see if Lois was still alive. Next issue of issues, I guess.



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Jason




> Isn't this imposter from early in the KIngdom Come story, maybe even pre-opening page?

I don't believe so. His dialogue to Obsidian indicated that the last thing he remembered was the nuclear explosion toward the end of the final issue of KC.




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Jason




> But to what purpose? It's the tail wagging the dog of making a complete and done story by another writer subservient to the current story.

Nah, Kingdom Come is still there; it's self-contained and done.
This can fit it there without changing a thing. Who's to say this isn't how the Spectre got Superman to calm down enough to listen to Norman? I'm sure you can find a better explanation than mine if you want to.

> It also adds conflict, because if it's truly Superman from the pages within, that limits what can be done to the character. We already know his final destination.

No one says they can't change that. KC still stands as an *alternate* future, which it always was; this Superman could change, die, etc. and be from a "sub-alternate" future, if you will. It really can be a win/win situation (we get to see the cool old S again, and KC is still just the way it was the first time you read it) if you want.




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Superman's Pal




> I understand this problem but KC was written before all the IC mumbo jumbo. Which means that it may not have finished the same way in the new multiverse.

Indeed. Kingdom Come led into The Kingdom, which used to be part of the main DCU timeline. Those events now apparently never happened. Gog's appearance in present-day DCU in 1998 was retconned when he showed up in '02 or '03 and present-day Superman had never met him before. If they can void The Kingdom who's to say they can't void any or all parts of KC that they don't want to follow? The original version still happened, somewhere in Hypertime, but it's this modified Earth-22 version that's tying into New Earth mythos.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.9 on Windows XP

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2018 Powermad Software