Justice Society of America >> View Thread

Author
Brian




Over at NY comicon, Kara's getting her own ongoing. Wait, it gets better. Amanda Connor's drawing it. It's written by Gray and Palmiotti.

Check it out over at: http://www.newsarama.com/nycomiccon2008/DC/powergirl.html


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14 on Windows XP
Racer Cool




> Over at NY comicon, Kara's getting her own ongoing. Wait, it gets better. Amanda Connor's drawing it. It's written by Gray and Palmiotti.
>
> Check it out over at: http://www.newsarama.com/nycomiccon2008/DC/powergirl.html

About time! I am looking forward to the series!

I wonder is it going to be set on Earth-2 or New Earth???? Doesn't matter.

I just recently left Supergirl --- which has nose dived since the new creative team debuted and it doesn't look like it's getting any better.

I'm right now strongly considering leaving Booster Gold after the current arc as I am more interesting in Rip Hunter and his Time Lords than Booster himself.

This frees me up to read one or two new ongoing books and Power Girl will be one of them.


Posted with Apple Safari on MacOS X
Ohotmu the all-knowing




> Over at NY comicon, Kara's getting her own ongoing. Wait, it gets better. Amanda Connor's drawing it. It's written by Gray and Palmiotti.
>
> Check it out over at: http://www.newsarama.com/nycomiccon2008/DC/powergirl.html

It looks good at first blush, but (Power Girl) to me has always been one of those characters that is great in mix (i.e. team or miniseries context) but probably doesn't have enough substance to carry her own title. I call it the "Vision and Scarlet Witch syndrome".

Given her history, there's a lot of fodder for some intriguing stories, but will the character have enough depth after the inevitable, initial "homecoming" and "been a long time, hasn't it" stories.

Time will tell. Many evils can be overcome with the right creative team.

Ohotmu


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Sweep Secondhand




> Over at NY comicon, Kara's getting her own ongoing. Wait, it gets better. Amanda Connor's drawing it. It's written by Gray and Palmiotti.
>
> Check it out over at: http://www.newsarama.com/nycomiccon2008/DC/powergirl.html

Well let's see, DC couldn't get it right with JSA: Classified so now they are going to ty it with just one character. Good luck!

- Sweep



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Zazu




> > Over at NY comicon, Kara's getting her own ongoing. Wait, it gets better. Amanda Connor's drawing it. It's written by Gray and Palmiotti.
> >
> > Check it out over at: http://www.newsarama.com/nycomiccon2008/DC/powergirl.html
>
> Well let's see, DC couldn't get it right with JSA: Classified so now they are going to ty it with just one character. Good luck!
>
> - Sweep

Yeah, I wasn't impressed with her JSA Classified appearance nor her solo story in JSA (#39, I think). I'm not holding my breath that this will be good either.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Dave




> Over at NY comicon, Kara's getting her own ongoing. Wait, it gets better. Amanda Connor's drawing it. It's written by Gray and Palmiotti.
>
> Check it out over at: http://www.newsarama.com/nycomiccon2008/DC/powergirl.html

By the looks of the cover the co-stars of her book will be a pair of giant boobs named Earth-1 and Earth-2.




Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
Echo




If anyone can pull this book off it's Palmiotty and Grey! Both are amazing writers!!! I can't wait for this. Now I need to decide which book to drop.

Prolly going to be Simon Dark, Hulk, Booster Gold. Decisions...decisions.

Echo


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Niddle




On the matter of her secret identity as Karen Starr, has it ever been established (at least in recent continuity) how she hides who she is?

Clark (both of them) have/had glasses. PG's counterpart, Supergirl, used a change in hair color (at least pre-Crisis)...

How does Power Girl make sure nobody recognizes who Karen Starr "really" is? Glasses AND hair color?


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Ohotmu the all-knowing




> On the matter of her secret identity as Karen Starr, has it ever been established (at least in recent continuity) how she hides who she is?
>
> Clark (both of them) have/had glasses. PG's counterpart, Supergirl, used a change in hair color (at least pre-Crisis)...
>
> How does Power Girl make sure nobody recognizes who Karen Starr "really" is? Glasses AND hair color?


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Niddle




Please?


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Ohotmu the all-knowing




> Please?

She was first shown as Karen Starr in the 1970's in the DC Showcase comic. She didn't wear glasses or color her hair or even change her hairstyle.

During her miniseries in the 80's, I'm fairly certain she still had no change to the hairdo, but I don't recall if she was sporting any specs at that time.

So, if my recollection of the 80's miniseries is accurate, and if the DC Showcase issues (which I recently read) are any indication, she takes virtually no steps to alter her appearance from the neck up. I'll leave it up to you as to why this is even remotely effective.

Ohotmu


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Niddle





>
> She was first shown as Karen Starr in the 1970's in the DC Showcase comic. She didn't wear glasses or color her hair or even change her hairstyle.
>
> During her miniseries in the 80's, I'm fairly certain she still had no change to the hairdo, but I don't recall if she was sporting any specs at that time.
>
> So, if my recollection of the 80's miniseries is accurate, and if the DC Showcase issues (which I recently read) are any indication, she takes virtually no steps to alter her appearance from the neck up. I'll leave it up to you as to why this is even remotely effective.
>
> Ohotmu



Ummm...

As Karen Starr she maintains an internal super-speed vibration like Jay does when he's the Flash, thus causing the facial features to blur?


>:-D


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Jon Clark




> Please?

In one of her first Karen appearances Huntress put it down to the fact no one would suspect Power Girl was sitting in a restaurant. Since she didn't have many solo appearances to back up her ID she never fell into the usual plothole of having people who knew Karen also being connected to PG. And i think her love interest, Andrew Vinson, had been in on establishing her secret ID. So Karen was simply one more buxom blonde on the street to anyone she didn't tell differently.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
David





Clearly, from the sparce answers to this question found in some incredibly lame continuity, the creative team for the new book won't have to work hard to cover new ground, will they? Despite being around 30 years, the character obviously is an open book.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
zvelf




> Please?

I didn't think Karen did hide her identity as Power Girl. In her solo story in JSA #39, doesn't she appear in public on a stage in Power Girl outfit as Karen?



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows 2000
zvelf




> > Over at NY comicon, Kara's getting her own ongoing. Wait, it gets better. Amanda Connor's drawing it. It's written by Gray and Palmiotti.
> >
> > Check it out over at: http://www.newsarama.com/nycomiccon2008/DC/powergirl.html
>
> It looks good at first blush, but (Power Girl) to me has always been one of those characters that is great in mix (i.e. team or miniseries context) but probably doesn't have enough substance to carry her own title. I call it the "Vision and Scarlet Witch syndrome".
>
> Given her history, there's a lot of fodder for some intriguing stories, but will the character have enough depth after the inevitable, initial "homecoming" and "been a long time, hasn't it" stories.
>
> Time will tell. Many evils can be overcome with the right creative team.

I’m looking forward to the series, but I think the creative team, as in most comics, will make all the difference. I think there’s plenty of potential to explore with Karen though. Because of her appearance, which is easily exploited for sales, it would be interesting to delve into her sexiness – how does she see herself, does she like how others see her, how does her past feminist streak fit into this – and what are the ramifications?


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows 2000
little kon-el




> On the matter of her secret identity as Karen Starr, has it ever been established (at least in recent continuity) how she hides who she is?
>
> Clark (both of them) have/had glasses. PG's counterpart, Supergirl, used a change in hair color (at least pre-Crisis)...
>
> How does Power Girl make sure nobody recognizes who Karen Starr "really" is? Glasses AND hair color?

...unlike Clark, Karen Starr doesn't work in a field where she would be seen with her alter ego. Clark is a reporter that works to report on stuff that happens to Superman. Karen is a software designer. I think the reason why she never took on more of a disguise is because there would be no reason to link her to Power Girl, visually, whereas Clark Kent would have his picture in a by-line next to a picture of Superman.

And I'm sure Power Girl, as owner of a software company, probably dressed more conservatively. Probably just doing that would diffuse suspicion. But you can probably add to the idea that many women were probably emulating Power Girls' "look" at the time (new, young, feminist blonde, busty superheroine with a paige-boy cut), and you have a reason why Karen Starr looks kind of like Power Girl.

- l.k.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14 on Windows XP
little kon-el




...she also got her identity after she was fighting with the JSA for a while, so that someone who looks like Power Girl could be chalked up as a "wannabe" rather than "oh my god, that's Power Girl."

- l.k.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14 on Windows XP
Morten




> On the matter of her secret identity as Karen Starr, has it ever been established (at least in recent continuity) how she hides who she is?
>
> Clark (both of them) have/had glasses. PG's counterpart, Supergirl, used a change in hair color (at least pre-Crisis)...
>
> How does Power Girl make sure nobody recognizes who Karen Starr "really" is? Glasses AND hair color?
A bra


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Beowulf




>
> >
> > She was first shown as Karen Starr in the 1970's in the DC Showcase comic. She didn't wear glasses or color her hair or even change her hairstyle.
> >
> > During her miniseries in the 80's, I'm fairly certain she still had no change to the hairdo, but I don't recall if she was sporting any specs at that time.
> >
> > So, if my recollection of the 80's miniseries is accurate, and if the DC Showcase issues (which I recently read) are any indication, she takes virtually no steps to alter her appearance from the neck up. I'll leave it up to you as to why this is even remotely effective.
> >
> > Ohotmu
>
>
>
> Ummm...
>
> As Karen Starr she maintains an internal super-speed vibration like Jay does when he's the Flash, thus causing the facial features to blur?
>
>
> >:-D

You probably meant as Powergirl, she is vibrating her facial features superfast. Not that anyone would look at her face anyway.

\:\-D


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.14 on Windows 98

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software