Justice Society of America >> View Thread

Author
comiccadet




QUICK---someone give Ma Hunkle a raise cause her little angel has apparently hit the local Goodwill to put together this ridiculous excuse for a costume..Its distracting and I cant stand to look at it again..How could GOG at least not do something about THIS??!! First, no teenage girl would be remotely caught dead wearing any of this..striped socks? A HAT (I bet thats handy with the wind powers!!)..COME ON..enough...this is beyond a bad costume..I dont like cyclone and prob never will because how can i take any character seriously who is dressed like thrift store trailer trash??..


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Goo Girl




> QUICK---someone give Ma Hunkle a raise cause her little angel has apparently hit the local Goodwill to put together this ridiculous excuse for a costume..Its distracting and I cant stand to look at it again..How could GOG at least not do something about THIS??!! First, no teenage girl would be remotely caught dead wearing any of this..striped socks? A HAT (I bet thats handy with the wind powers!!)..COME ON..enough...this is beyond a bad costume..I dont like cyclone and prob never will because how can i take any character seriously who is dressed like thrift store trailer trash??..

She does look pretty ridiculous, like she's dressed up for halloween all day. And her outfit ISN'T practical at all for wind powers. I keep thinking her clothes will wrap around her head one of these days.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Seyg-El




> QUICK---someone give Ma Hunkle a raise cause her little angel has apparently hit the local Goodwill to put together this ridiculous excuse for a costume..Its distracting and I cant stand to look at it again..How could GOG at least not do something about THIS??!! First, no teenage girl would be remotely caught dead wearing any of this..striped socks? A HAT (I bet thats handy with the wind powers!!)..COME ON..enough...this is beyond a bad costume..I dont like cyclone and prob never will because how can i take any character seriously who is dressed like thrift store trailer trash??..


The striped stockings are the first clue. Maxine's obsession with L. Frank Baum is the second. Frankie, Maxine's "flying" monkey, is the third...ringing any bells yet?

The striped stockings go back to the movie version of the Wizard of Oz. Remember the Wicked Witch of the East? Maxine also comments in the first issue on her preference for the musical Wicked, which is based on the book Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. In that book, the Wicked Witches aren't really wicked, just have a different point of view.

It should also be noted, that the Wicked Witch of the East died accidentally due to a tornado dropping a house on her.


You might think that the costume Cyclone wears is stupid and just thrown together, but its actually right in line with her character, and her obsession with Baum's Oz stories.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
comiccadet




You obviously missed the point, even tho it was shockingly simple: IS THIS A SUPERHERO COSTUME?...NO it isnt and it looks ridiculous..I think the only reason Cyclone is on the team is to make Stargirl (slightly) less annoying..Does anyone really think the reason she wears this monstrisity is important? NAH...it looks like a goodwill clown costume..maybe she can go join the justice society of Oz on earth-3 as far as im concerned...


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Seyg-El




> You obviously missed the point, even tho it was shockingly simple: IS THIS A SUPERHERO COSTUME?...NO it isnt and it looks ridiculous..I think the only reason Cyclone is on the team is to make Stargirl (slightly) less annoying..Does anyone really think the reason she wears this monstrisity is important? NAH...it looks like a goodwill clown costume..maybe she can go join the justice society of Oz on earth-3 as far as im concerned...

Oh, trust me...I got your point. What I was telling you is that there is actually a point to her costume, whether it is a monstrosity or not.

And believe it or not, some comic book readers enjoy subtle details that end up adding to a character. Everything doesn't have to be "kewl."


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
comiccadet





gee...i wonder what could be the WORST item of clothing a person with wind powers could wear...OH WAIT---I GOT IT---A HAT!!!!!!!!! yeah, THIS will win the fans over..throw in some freckles, red hair and striped socks..Yep, shes just about ready to be considered the most serious member of the JSA now..Look out Power Girl, cause i have a feeling Pippy "cyclone" Longstockings is about to take over your leadership post..GENIUS!!!...lol


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Ohotmu the all-knowing




> QUICK---someone give Ma Hunkle a raise cause her little angel has apparently hit the local Goodwill to put together this ridiculous excuse for a costume..Its distracting and I cant stand to look at it again..How could GOG at least not do something about THIS??!! First, no teenage girl would be remotely caught dead wearing any of this..striped socks? A HAT (I bet thats handy with the wind powers!!)..COME ON..enough...this is beyond a bad costume..I dont like cyclone and prob never will because how can i take any character seriously who is dressed like thrift store trailer trash??..



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
little kon-el




...on her head! Sure, you could argue that Ma Kettle's costume was practical. She did have the sense to put the kettle on her head and cut holes in it. And hey, the Tornado Kids just wore jester outfits when they went up against thugs carrying guns and brass knuckles. And Robin wears booties and shorts. And They All Wear Capes that are both impractical and dangerous (just ask Dollar Bill in the Watchmen...oh wait...you can't because his cape got stuck in a revolving door and he's dead.

Her costume is just as practical as other costumes. It is rather ugly, I'll give you that. But it wasn't as if Ma Hunkle's costume was putting the fear of god into criminals. I'd be more worried that people would connect the dots and figure out that she looks exactly like a freshmen college student going to Gotham U. The girl should at least wear a domino mask or something.

- l.k.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
comiccadet




FIRST=== Robin DOESNT wear bootys and shorts anymore unless he was trying to get kon-els attention (just a theory ive long had, substantiated by his great desire to desperately want to clone a "replacement")---BUT back to my point...It isnt a costume that cyclone wears..Youre right about the mask..I KNOW---how about a fantastic veil to go with her hat and wind powers..yeah, that would be double cool and practical..now all she needs is Toto and a flying monkey and she will be super formidable..I hereby nominate CYCLONE for chairperson of the JSA...


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Hellstone




...for the reason Seyg-El stated. It works with the character. There's a reason.

I like Mindgrabber Kid and Matter-Eater Lad, too.


/ola

>
> gee...i wonder what could be the WORST item of clothing a person with wind powers could wear...OH WAIT---I GOT IT---A HAT!!!!!!!!! yeah, THIS will win the fans over..throw in some freckles, red hair and striped socks..Yep, shes just about ready to be considered the most serious member of the JSA now..Look out Power Girl, cause i have a feeling Pippy "cyclone" Longstockings is about to take over your leadership post..GENIUS!!!...lol



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
BKole




> FIRST=== Robin DOESNT wear bootys and shorts anymore unless he was trying to get kon-els attention (just a theory ive long had, substantiated by his great desire to desperately want to clone a "replacement")---BUT back to my point...It isnt a costume that cyclone wears..Youre right about the mask..I KNOW---how about a fantastic veil to go with her hat and wind powers..yeah, that would be double cool and practical..now all she needs is Toto and a flying monkey and she will be super formidable..I hereby nominate CYCLONE for chairperson of the JSA...

I don't really feel it's that big an issue, to be honest. Ted wears a Cat mask, for godsakes, if we're going with practical and realism then we're basically just asking for every comic to be Dardevil. And, you know, Maxine can control her powers right? So, just maybe, she can control the fact that her clothes don't blow over her face, or the hat flies off? Just a thought.

I like her costume, I don't find her annoying and I find it nice to see a hero costume that isn't about flashy belts, covering everything in leather/spandex and calling it the fashion of the times. It's the JSA, for crying out loud, how practical is it for a Flash to wear a helmet that would come off from the speed he runs at? Or that Power-Girl has a massive hole where her baps could fall out? It's just artistic liscencing and it's just to give the character a bit of identity.

Nothing wrong with that.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
atalkingdog




> QUICK---someone give Ma Hunkle a raise cause her little angel has apparently hit the local Goodwill to put together this ridiculous excuse for a costume..Its distracting and I cant stand to look at it again..How could GOG at least not do something about THIS??!! First, no teenage girl would be remotely caught dead wearing any of this..striped socks? A HAT (I bet thats handy with the wind powers!!)..COME ON..enough...this is beyond a bad costume..I dont like cyclone and prob never will because how can i take any character seriously who is dressed like thrift store trailer trash??..



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.18 on Windows Vista

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software