Marvel Universe >> View Thread

Author
Attok12




I thought this would be an interesting topic. Rather than harp on the writers we don't like, which I am supremely guilty of, why not pick at the ones we do like? I'll start things off with my favorite current writer:

Brian Reed.

I love his run on MS. MARVEL, my top favorite comic. Everybody knows that. But what you may not know is that he was a part of the most atrocious comic storyline ever, a story so horrendous and offensive that I ended up literally throwing the issues in the garbage can. Seriously. I crunched them up into a sort of ball and scored two points.

I am taling about the five-issue SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN atrocity. Good Glorious Creepers, was that disgusting. Spider-Woman's origin was butchered to hell and back. I hate the thing so much that I totally ignore it. Spider-Woman's original origin still stands with me. Either that, or the SW:O series told the origin of Jessica as thought by Veranke.

In any case, Brian Reed co-scripted that &^*%^. I think it was his first Marvel work, too. But, boy has he redeemed himself with MS. MARVEL. Man, oh, man. Such awesomeness. Stories with genuine twists and surprises not telegraphed in advance by idiot solicits or saw-it-coming-a-mile-away mumbo jumbo.

What about your favorite writer or writers? You know, the ones whose work you love and find no fault with? Any sinkers in their otherwise stellar work? Just curious. I hope this is a good topic. \:\)


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Chris1962


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 382


I liked what Steve Englehart did for Captain America, the Avengers, the Hulk, the Defenders, the Beast, Dr Strange, and even the West Coast Avengers in the 70's and 80's.

His writing on the Fantastic Four right before Simonson came aboard in the late 80's was terrible.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
TJ Burns




> I thought this would be an interesting topic. Rather than harp on the writers we don't like, which I am supremely guilty of, why not pick at the ones we do like?

Quite a few for me.

Englehart - While I've loved his Avengers work on both coasts, his Captain America, his Dr. Strange, and his Batman, JLA, and Green Lantern at DC, his FF run wasn't all that hot to me (and I feel he permanently destroyed Crystal as a character), and the New Guardians series may actually be the worst thing ever. (Although, in fairness, apparently that thing was a total editorially-rewritten nightmare from day one.)

Gerber - While I loved his work on Omega, Defenders, Man-Thing, and, of course, Howard the Duck, his DC work has, in general, left me extremely cold.

Gruenwald - I loved his Cap run through #350 or so, as well as his Quasar, and the fact that he's the only person in comics that tried to redeem Dr. Druid. It's entirely possible, however, he's written the worst Cap story of all time with Fighting Chance. Even today that one leaves a bad taste in my mouth.


TJB


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 4.0 on Windows XP
SEHS66




Len Wein,
I have never read anything by him that I didn't enjoy. From The Incredible Hulk, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, Swamp-Thing and many more. He just seemed to have a great grasp of who the characters were. I just love his work. I wish he was still writing comic books today.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.20 on Windows XP
fan4




> I thought this would be an interesting topic. Rather than harp on the writers we don't like, which I am supremely guilty of, why not pick at the ones we do like? I'll start things off with my favorite current writer:
>
> Brian Reed.
>
> I love his run on MS. MARVEL, my top favorite comic. Everybody knows that. But what you may not know is that he was a part of the most atrocious comic storyline ever, a story so horrendous and offensive that I ended up literally throwing the issues in the garbage can. Seriously. I crunched them up into a sort of ball and scored two points.
>
> I am taling about the five-issue SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN atrocity. Good Glorious Creepers, was that disgusting. Spider-Woman's origin was butchered to hell and back. I hate the thing so much that I totally ignore it. Spider-Woman's original origin still stands with me. Either that, or the SW:O series told the origin of Jessica as thought by Veranke.
>
> In any case, Brian Reed co-scripted that &^*%^. I think it was his first Marvel work, too. But, boy has he redeemed himself with MS. MARVEL. Man, oh, man. Such awesomeness. Stories with genuine twists and surprises not telegraphed in advance by idiot solicits or saw-it-coming-a-mile-away mumbo jumbo.
>
> What about your favorite writer or writers? You know, the ones whose work you love and find no fault with? Any sinkers in their otherwise stellar work? Just curious. I hope this is a good topic. \:\)

I liked Waid's FF run, though it irked me when he claimed the Yancy Street Gang never sent Ben packages. He said Johnny impersonated the YSG, which doesn't make sense to me.

Authoratative Auction bored me (didn't help that one of my issues reprinted several pages twice, and apparently my copy was a freak because no one else in the FFMB had that problem), didn't really like Hereafter all that much, then the guy breaks his own rule at the very end of his run! Waid wanted Ben to be the Thing 24/7, yet his two-part finale involved all the FFers losing their powers


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,689


> I thought this would be an interesting topic. Rather than harp on the writers we don't like, which I am supremely guilty of, why not pick at the ones we do like? I'll start things off with my favorite current writer:
>
> Brian Reed.
>
> I love his run on MS. MARVEL, my top favorite comic. Everybody knows that. But what you may not know is that he was a part of the most atrocious comic storyline ever, a story so horrendous and offensive that I ended up literally throwing the issues in the garbage can. Seriously. I crunched them up into a sort of ball and scored two points.
>
> I am taling about the five-issue SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN atrocity. Good Glorious Creepers, was that disgusting. Spider-Woman's origin was butchered to hell and back. I hate the thing so much that I totally ignore it. Spider-Woman's original origin still stands with me. Either that, or the SW:O series told the origin of Jessica as thought by Veranke.
>
> In any case, Brian Reed co-scripted that &^*%^. I think it was his first Marvel work, too. But, boy has he redeemed himself with MS. MARVEL. Man, oh, man. Such awesomeness. Stories with genuine twists and surprises not telegraphed in advance by idiot solicits or saw-it-coming-a-mile-away mumbo jumbo.
>
> What about your favorite writer or writers? You know, the ones whose work you love and find no fault with? Any sinkers in their otherwise stellar work? Just curious. I hope this is a good topic. \:\)

Uh I was a fan of Kurt Busiek's Thunderbolts. I hated his Avengers with a passion. I thought he out right ruined Justice's character who had came so far in Nicieza's New Warriors. And I think I am the only person who hated Avengers Forever...in fact I loathed it.

I loved Nicieza on Thunderbolts...but I hated the first 17 or so issues of New Thunderbolts. All the characters I liked had left (Moonstone, Fixer, Zemo) and I hated most of the new people (Joystick, Genis, Nighthawk etc)





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.5 on Windows Vista
Flint




> Len Wein,
> I have never read anything by him that I didn't enjoy. From The Incredible Hulk, The Amazing Spider-Man, The Fantastic Four, Swamp-Thing and many more. He just seemed to have a great grasp of who the characters were. I just love his work. I wish he was still writing comic books today.

Your in luck my friend. Len just wrote for Final Crisis Secret Files...on sale now!

He also wrote this months Justice LEague of America and will write JLofA's 'Origins and Omens' back-up!

Didn't he also write a FF oneshot or mini last year?

Len is indeed special. He co-created Swamp-Thing, Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus, Thunderbird, Lucious Fox.....he was even editor of Watchmen


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Stuart Mackenzie




I have 3;

Busiek - Loved his Avengers, hated his Defenders with Larson and his JLA bored me to tears

Claremont - Grew up on this guy. Hated, hated, hated his Extreme X-Men, but that many have been the Sal and then eye bleeding awful Kordy art

Byrne - Loved his FF, hated his Vision Quest story in WCA. That took years for the Vision to get back to being cool.

However, on the other side, I generally like everything Bendis has written, same goes for Mark Miller. used to buy anything that had PADS name on it, but his X-Factor has just been boring me recently to the point I dropped the book.

Anything that Casey writes I tend to avoid like the plague, very over rated.



> I thought this would be an interesting topic. Rather than harp on the writers we don't like, which I am supremely guilty of, why not pick at the ones we do like? I'll start things off with my favorite current writer:
>
> Brian Reed.
>
> I love his run on MS. MARVEL, my top favorite comic. Everybody knows that. But what you may not know is that he was a part of the most atrocious comic storyline ever, a story so horrendous and offensive that I ended up literally throwing the issues in the garbage can. Seriously. I crunched them up into a sort of ball and scored two points.
>
> I am taling about the five-issue SPIDER-WOMAN: ORIGIN atrocity. Good Glorious Creepers, was that disgusting. Spider-Woman's origin was butchered to hell and back. I hate the thing so much that I totally ignore it. Spider-Woman's original origin still stands with me. Either that, or the SW:O series told the origin of Jessica as thought by Veranke.
>
> In any case, Brian Reed co-scripted that &^*%^. I think it was his first Marvel work, too. But, boy has he redeemed himself with MS. MARVEL. Man, oh, man. Such awesomeness. Stories with genuine twists and surprises not telegraphed in advance by idiot solicits or saw-it-coming-a-mile-away mumbo jumbo.
>
> What about your favorite writer or writers? You know, the ones whose work you love and find no fault with? Any sinkers in their otherwise stellar work? Just curious. I hope this is a good topic. \:\)



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Attok12




> I liked what Steve Englehart did for Captain America, the Avengers, the Hulk, the Defenders, the Beast, Dr Strange, and even the West Coast Avengers in the 70's and 80's.
>
> His writing on the Fantastic Four right before Simonson came aboard in the late 80's was terrible.

I believe that is because he was being forced by editorial to write stuff he didn't want to write, hence those issues "written" by John Harkness, his alias.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Blargh




Peter David and the "Hobgoblin 2299" story in Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man.

So this Spider-Man from the future has a daughter and she becomes the Hobgoblin of that future. They get transported to current day. And she starts tossing these things around called "Retcon Bombs".

Guess what they do?

GET IT????!?!?!?

Anyway, she dies. She throws one of these bombs at 616 Spidey and he swings it back at her, "Retcon Bombing" her out of existence.

I like PAD, I love most of his Spidey and X-Factor work, but Retcon Bomb was Dan Slott level of cringe-worthy pun.

And I hate puns.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.5 on Windows Vista

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2018 Powermad Software