Eighties and Nineties Message Board >> View Thread

Author
Paste Pot Pete 

Wolfman Pete!

Member Since: Fri Jul 07, 2000
Posts: 11,450


With Bronze Tiger still away this is the perfect time to slip a couple of songs made after 1999 onto the list. Hey it's all in the name of science and I needed to do it because of this week's theme.

Do you know what the theme is?


The Heights
How Do You Talk To An Angel

The Folksmen
Old Joe's Place

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Tear Me Down

Stillwater
Fever Dog

Strange Fruit
Dirty Town

The Wonders
That Thing You Do!

Platinum Weird
Will You Be Around

Spinal Tap
Break Like the Wind

The Rutles

Major Happy's Up And Coming Once Upon A Good Time Band

PPP

P.S. sorry it's late. It's a long story but I was at work until 4:30 am.






Posted with Mozilla Firefox 27.0 on Windows XP
Nose Norton


Location: Plainville
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,626



    Quote:
    With Bronze Tiger still away this is the perfect time to slip a couple of songs made after 1999 onto the list. Hey it's all in the name of science and I needed to do it because of this week's theme.



    Quote:
    Do you know what the theme is?


I'd say it's that they're all fake bands.




I remember this being a big hit. I never watched the show, though. It's a good song.




I never saw this one, but I've heard it's pretty funny. These guys must be fun to hang out with.




I've heard of this musical and movie, but this is the first time I've ever seen or heard any of the music from it.




From the movie Almost Famous. I've heard of it but never seen it.




From the movie Still Crazy, which I've never heard of before. It looks like it was highly influenced by This Is Spinal Tap.




I know of this one but have never seen it, though I remember it being pretty popular.




This one looks like a cross between Eddie And The Cruisers and The Blair Witch Project. Neat idea, using the interent to sell the hoax. I've never seen it and had to look it up on wikipedia, like the other selections.




OK! I've seen this one! Hilarious movie.




This parody seems a little less subtle than some of the Rutles earlier songs. I think the The Rutles: Archeology parodying The Beatles: Anthology is hilarious. I also like that George Harrison was a fan.


    Quote:
    PPP



    Quote:
    P.S. sorry it's late. It's a long story but I was at work until 4:30 am.





Posted with Google Chrome 33.0.1750.154 on Windows 8
Gernot 

Manager

Location: St. Louis, MO
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 12,418


I'm glad YOU saw PPP's theme, Nose. I had NO idea what it was. I figured I was just too old. (The ONE good thing about bein' over 50 right now is I get to flirt with the cute 20-something nurses in the hospital and I'm CUTE.) LOLOL \:D



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 27.0 on Windows Vista
Superman's Pal

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,768






    Quote:
    I remember this being a big hit. I never watched the show, though. It's a good song.

I never knew it was from a fictional band.





    Quote:
    I never saw this one, but I've heard it's pretty funny. These guys must be fun to hang out with.

Guest, McKean and Shearer were doing the Folksmen in the '80s around the same time they created Spinal Tap. This song is from 2003's A Mighty Wind though, not quite 80s & 90s?





    Quote:
    I've heard of this musical and movie, but this is the first time I've ever seen or heard any of the music from it.






    Quote:
    From the movie Almost Famous. I've heard of it but never seen it.






    Quote:
    From the movie Still Crazy, which I've never heard of before. It looks like it was highly influenced by This Is Spinal Tap.






    Quote:
    I know of this one but have never seen it, though I remember it being pretty popular.

This was a pretty enjoyable movie.





    Quote:
    This one looks like a cross between Eddie And The Cruisers and The Blair Witch Project. Neat idea, using the interent to sell the hoax. I've never seen it and had to look it up on wikipedia, like the other selections.






    Quote:
    OK! I've seen this one! Hilarious movie.

Between the TV specials, music videos and tours this is the acting gig that kept on giving to Guest, McKean and Shearer!





    Quote:
    This parody seems a little less subtle than some of the Rutles earlier songs. I think the The Rutles: Archeology parodying The Beatles: Anthology is hilarious. I also like that George Harrison was a fan.



    Quote:

      Quote:
      PPP

      Quote:

        Quote:
        P.S. sorry it's late. It's a long story but I was at work until 4:30 am.



Posted with Google Chrome 33.0.1750.154 on Windows 7
Nose Norton


Location: Plainville
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,626


Well, they're all actors. Maybe that's it.


Posted with Apple iPhone 7.0
Paste Pot Pete 

Wolfman Pete!

Member Since: Fri Jul 07, 2000
Posts: 11,450



    Quote:

      Quote:
      With Bronze Tiger still away this is the perfect time to slip a couple of songs made after 1999 onto the list. Hey it's all in the name of science and I needed to do it because of this week's theme.

      Quote:

        Quote:
        Do you know what the theme is?



    Quote:
    I'd say it's that they're all fake bands.


Correct!





    Quote:
    I remember this being a big hit. I never watched the show, though. It's a good song.


My Dad really liked the song. I remember he taped the first couple of episodes.





    Quote:
    I never saw this one, but I've heard it's pretty funny. These guys must be fun to hang out with.


Oh my gosh, you need to watch "A Mighty Wind" as soon as possible. You'll love it!





    Quote:
    I've heard of this musical and movie, but this is the first time I've ever seen or heard any of the music from it.


I'm not familiar with it either, but I might like it, I like David Bowie.





    Quote:
    From the movie Almost Famous. I've heard of it but never seen it.


One of my all time favorite movies!





    Quote:
    I know of this one but have never seen it, though I remember it being pretty popular.


It's a fun movie but nothing special.





    Quote:
    This one looks like a cross between Eddie And The Cruisers and The Blair Witch Project. Neat idea, using the interent to sell the hoax. I've never seen it and had to look it up on wikipedia, like the other selections.


I'd never heard of it either. But I thought this song was great.





    Quote:
    This parody seems a little less subtle than some of the Rutles earlier songs. I think the The Rutles: Archeology parodying The Beatles: Anthology is hilarious. I also like that George Harrison was a fan.


I liked their original album, but Archeology in the 90's left me flat.

PPP





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 27.0 on Windows XP
Paste Pot Pete 

Wolfman Pete!

Member Since: Fri Jul 07, 2000
Posts: 11,450



    Quote:

    Guest, McKean and Shearer were doing the Folksmen in the '80s around the same time they created Spinal Tap. This song is from 2003's A Mighty Wind though, not quite 80s & 90s?


Shhh! I said in my original post not to tell Bronze Tiger, I was stretching it this week. \:\)

PPP






Posted with Mozilla Firefox 27.0 on Windows XP

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software