Eighties and Nineties Message Board >> View Thread

Author
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,444



Amazon had the first 2 episodes of the reboot free. I think the animation is worse than the original but the humor is better and Donald Duck seems to be a main character this time around.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 54.0 on Windows 10
Superman's Pal

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 2,535


I'd like to say yes but I didn't watch the reboots of Inspector Gadget or Voltron. I just don't have time. I got the complete 4 season series of Airwolf for 4 bucks at Goodwill and am making my way through that. I got the original Magnificent Seven 4-movie series on blu-ray for 4 bucks also. I got Wild Wild West season one for $5 on black Friday. Lots to watch. I've been picking up VHS movies for 10 cents at Salvation Army. Just watched Pacific Heights with a very creepy Michael Keaton. I've got my hands full already. Oh yeah,just today I got the first 2 seasons of Breaking Bad for $5 on DVD.


Posted with Google Chrome 59.0.3071.125 on Linux
America's Captain 

Maintainer

Location: Bayville New Jersey
Member Since: Mon Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 9,538



    Quote:

    Amazon had the first 2 episodes of the reboot free. I think the animation is worse than the original but the humor is better and Donald Duck seems to be a main character this time around.


I hadn't heard of the reboot but I will say that I really liked the original. As for Donald, I can't imagine what he would be doing as a main character in these stories - unless he's being given some cool alter ego as has happened in the more recent comics. So let me see if I can google the reboot.

Aha! There's a trailer on YouTube!
Cleverly googled YouTube Trailer of the Duck Tales Reboot

I think it looks pretty good. I don't like the voices of Huey, Dewey, and Louie (spelling) but I like the voices of Uncle Scrooge, Donald, and Launchpad. I see Donald is perceived by the world (or one female character, any way) as one of the greatest adventurers of all time - yet the trailer leads me to believe he bumbled his way through.

I think this show could work. I don't know that it will be better than the original - animation is animation, and there's no reason 21st century cartoons would automatically be more advanced or have more "wow" than, say, 1960s cartoons, aside from the higher standards imposed by, say, video games.

I'm undecided as to whether I'll watch the reboot. But if I don't, it won't be out of any negativity. I just lately find I don't have the patience for extended viewing of cartoons. I think I may possibly watch the first episode.











Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.101 on Windows 10
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,444




    Quote:
    I'd like to say yes but I didn't watch the reboots of Inspector Gadget or Voltron. I just don't have time. I got the complete 4 season series of Airwolf for 4 bucks at Goodwill and am making my way through that. I got the original Magnificent Seven 4-movie series on blu-ray for 4 bucks also. I got Wild Wild West season one for $5 on black Friday. Lots to watch. I've been picking up VHS movies for 10 cents at Salvation Army. Just watched Pacific Heights with a very creepy Michael Keaton. I've got my hands full already. Oh yeah,just today I got the first 2 seasons of Breaking Bad for $5 on DVD.


I just started watching the Voltron reboot this weekend. I really like it. I was a little disappointed to find out the Voltron series I watched as a kid was a re-edit of a Japanese anime with different characters and plots.


Watch the rest of Breaking Bad...it gets really good in seasons 3-5.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 54.0 on Windows 7
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,444




    Quote:

      Quote:

      Amazon had the first 2 episodes of the reboot free. I think the animation is worse than the original but the humor is better and Donald Duck seems to be a main character this time around.



    Quote:
    I hadn't heard of the reboot but I will say that I really liked the original. As for Donald, I can't imagine what he would be doing as a main character in these stories - unless he's being given some cool alter ego as has happened in the more recent comics. So let me see if I can google the reboot.


I think he lives at Scrooge's mansion with the nephews in the reboot. I think in the original DuckTales Donald was enlisted in the navy and didn't have the resources to raise them.





    Quote:
    I think it looks pretty good. I don't like the voices of Huey, Dewey, and Louie (spelling) but I like the voices of Uncle Scrooge, Donald, and Launchpad. I see Donald is perceived by the world (or one female character, any way) as one of the greatest adventurers of all time - yet the trailer leads me to believe he bumbled his way through.



    Quote:
    I think this show could work. I don't know that it will be better than the original - animation is animation, and there's no reason 21st century cartoons would automatically be more advanced or have more "wow" than, say, 1960s cartoons, aside from the higher standards imposed by, say, video games.


Well I can't agree with that. A lot of modern cartoons/anime look gorgeous.


    Quote:
    I'm undecided as to whether I'll watch the reboot. But if I don't, it won't be out of any negativity. I just lately find I don't have the patience for extended viewing of cartoons. I think I may possibly watch the first episode.


One thing I thought was interesting...the new Ducktales series is going to go into what happened to Huey, Dewey and Louie's mother (Donald's sister).





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 54.0 on Windows 7
America's Captain 

Maintainer

Location: Bayville New Jersey
Member Since: Mon Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 9,538



    Quote:

      Quote:
      I think this show could work. I don't know that it will be better than the original - animation is animation, and there's no reason 21st century cartoons would automatically be more advanced or have more "wow" than, say, 1960s cartoons, aside from the higher standards imposed by, say, video games.


    Well I can't agree with that. A lot of modern cartoons/anime look gorgeous.


Yes they do - because they're being held to a higher standard than the old ones were. I'm pretty sure that if 1960s animation companies had wanted to produce the most superlative cartoons the human mind could imagine, they would have. However, maybe I'm ignorant of amazing advances in what I currently perceive as drawing a lot of pictures and stringing them together in sequence. So let's query Wikipedia.
Animation in its modern glory per the All-Seeing Eye of Agamotto as recently incarnated in Wikipedia

Hmm. OK. I guess I've been ignorant of the importance of computers in the (cartoon) animation process, which I would limit to 2D animation. (In my opinion 3D animation is not a cartoon.) I'm guessing the new Duck Tales cartoon will make use of 2D animation and will benefit from the potentials inherent in that.


    Quote:
    One thing I thought was interesting...the new Ducktales series is going to go into what happened to Huey, Dewey and Louie's mother (Donald's sister).


I know you always love that family history stuff. The trailer has an interesting element in that vein. Huey, Dewey and Louie (in this version) never knew they had an Uncle Scrooge! Oh, but wait. Did that happen in the old cartoon also? I don't have any specific recollections of having watched the very first episode. Did it feature the very first meeting of Uncle Scrooge and his nephews?

What did you think of Huey, Dewey, and Louie's voices? In the original, they were far less similar to normal human kid voices.






Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.101 on Windows 10
Superman's Pal

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 2,535



    Quote:
    I just started watching the Voltron reboot this weekend. I really like it. I was a little disappointed to find out the Voltron series I watched as a kid was a re-edit of a Japanese anime with different characters and plots.

I have heard that, but I haven't seen the original for comparison. I think that's true of a lot of anime, they changed the whole story in the dialogue.


    Quote:

    Watch the rest of Breaking Bad...it gets really good in seasons 3-5.

Oh I've seen the whole thing on AMC, it's just been a long time, so I'm due for a rewatch.

As to your original post, sorry I got lost reminiscing, but I liked Uncle Scrooge being the lead in the old DuckTales. Not sure I want to see a Donald-centric version. But I'll check out the trailer.



Posted with Google Chrome 59.0.3071.125 on Linux
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,444




    Quote:

      Quote:
      I just started watching the Voltron reboot this weekend. I really like it. I was a little disappointed to find out the Voltron series I watched as a kid was a re-edit of a Japanese anime with different characters and plots.

    I have heard that, but I haven't seen the original for comparison. I think that's true of a lot of anime, they changed the whole story in the dialogue.
      Quote:

        Quote:

        Watch the rest of Breaking Bad...it gets really good in seasons 3-5.

      Oh I've seen the whole thing on AMC, it's just been a long time, so I'm due for a rewatch.



    Quote:
    As to your original post, sorry I got lost reminiscing, but I liked Uncle Scrooge being the lead in the old DuckTales. Not sure I want to see a Donald-centric version. But I'll check out the trailer.


Donald's around but it's still Scrooge's show.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 54.0 on Windows 7
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 6,444




    Quote:

      Quote:

        Quote:
        I think this show could work. I don't know that it will be better than the original - animation is animation, and there's no reason 21st century cartoons would automatically be more advanced or have more "wow" than, say, 1960s cartoons, aside from the higher standards imposed by, say, video games.



      Quote:
      Well I can't agree with that. A lot of modern cartoons/anime look gorgeous.



    Quote:
    Yes they do - because they're being held to a higher standard than the old ones were. I'm pretty sure that if 1960s animation companies had wanted to produce the most superlative cartoons the human mind could imagine, they would have. However, maybe I'm ignorant of amazing advances in what I currently perceive as drawing a lot of pictures and stringing them together in sequence. So let's query Wikipedia.
    Animation in its modern glory per the All-Seeing Eye of Agamotto as recently incarnated in Wikipedia



    Quote:
    Hmm. OK. I guess I've been ignorant of the importance of computers in the (cartoon) animation process, which I would limit to 2D animation. (In my opinion 3D animation is not a cartoon.) I'm guessing the new Duck Tales cartoon will make use of 2D animation and will benefit from the potentials inherent in that.


      Quote:
      One thing I thought was interesting...the new Ducktales series is going to go into what happened to Huey, Dewey and Louie's mother (Donald's sister).



    Quote:
    I know you always love that family history stuff. The trailer has an interesting element in that vein. Huey, Dewey and Louie (in this version) never knew they had an Uncle Scrooge! Oh, but wait. Did that happen in the old cartoon also? I don't have any specific recollections of having watched the very first episode. Did it feature the very first meeting of Uncle Scrooge and his nephews?

    What did you think of Huey, Dewey, and Louie's voices? In the original, they were far less similar to normal human kid voices.


I liked them a lot better in the reboot. The originals were very harsh to my ears. That said a lot of the new voice actors I'm not overly fond of but the triplets seem to have more varied personalities in this reboot and I liked what they're doing with them.

Yeah the first episode of this series has them finding out that uncle Donald's uncle is Scrooge. They knew him by reputation but had no clue they were related to him. One of the triplets (Dewey I think) had the line "You used to be big. Whatever happened to you"?

I can't remember if they already knew Scrooge in the original DuckTales...I don't think they did.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 54.0 on Windows 7

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2017 Powermad Software