Eighties and Nineties Message Board >> View Thread

Author
America's Captain 

Maintainer

Location: Bayville New Jersey
Member Since: Mon Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 9,790


- that I couldn't resist making a Darkhawk banner for the 80s and 90s board. After all - to my mind at least - few characters say "90s" like Darkhawk.

I was so intrigued by the discussion at the Marvel board that I bought the Darkhawk Volume 1 collection via Amazon and can't wait to receive it. I remember dabbling in Darkhawk back in the day and always enjoying it when I did. This will be my first sustained reading of the character. (Back in the 90s pretty much all of my comic book reading was "dabbling," because I felt alienated by a lot of what was being published - an alienation that continues to this day, though not as intensely, as I've come to terms with it better, and also because I love a lot of what Marvel is doing on both the big and the small screens.)

Here's the relevant Wikipedia article:
Darkhawk

Were you a fan back in the day?








Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 10
Rodimus


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 3,022



    Quote:
    - that I couldn't resist making a Darkhawk banner for the 80s and 90s board. After all - to my mind at least - few characters say "90s" like Darkhawk.



    Quote:
    I was so intrigued by the discussion at the Marvel board that I bought the Darkhawk Volume 1 collection via Amazon and can't wait to receive it. I remember dabbling in Darkhawk back in the day and always enjoying it when I did. This will be my first sustained reading of the character. (Back in the 90s pretty much all of my comic book reading was "dabbling," because I felt alienated by a lot of what was being published - an alienation that continues to this day, though not as intensely, as I've come to terms with it better, and also because I love a lot of what Marvel is doing on both the big and the small screens.)



    Quote:
    Here's the relevant Wikipedia article:
    Darkhawk



    Quote:
    Were you a fan back in the day?



    Quote:



I specifically recall, back in the day, reading the "2099-appearance" issue (#28, but one of my 2099-fan-friends recently found out it wasn't really 2099), as well as the 3 or 4 issues with Venom, as I was a huge Venom fan back then. I just recently decided to get more into the series, so I looked up past issues of the series online, and bought them. Just 1-15 now, but will get the rest later.




- Rodimus




New 2099 UGR Fanfiction Group Forum!

THE place to talk about the fanfics and 2099 in general!:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/the2099ugrfanficgroup/

2099 UGR Fanfiction site:
http://2099ugr.weebly.com/


G1 Transformers Cartoon: Virtual Season 4 Extension:
http://www.virtualtransformerstv.thetfcog.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PVTransformers (Staff List)

Virtual Transformers Forum:
http://www.tfcog.net/forums/index.php?board=19.0

(Sunbow/Marvel) G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero: Virtual Season 3:
https://virtualgijoe.groups.io/g/main

MUGEN 2099 Project Staff list:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marvel_2099_MUGEN_Project
Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 7
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,204




    Quote:
    - that I couldn't resist making a Darkhawk banner for the 80s and 90s board. After all - to my mind at least - few characters say "90s" like Darkhawk.



    Quote:
    I was so intrigued by the discussion at the Marvel board that I bought the Darkhawk Volume 1 collection via Amazon and can't wait to receive it. I remember dabbling in Darkhawk back in the day and always enjoying it when I did. This will be my first sustained reading of the character. (Back in the 90s pretty much all of my comic book reading was "dabbling," because I felt alienated by a lot of what was being published - an alienation that continues to this day, though not as intensely, as I've come to terms with it better, and also because I love a lot of what Marvel is doing on both the big and the small screens.)



    Quote:
    Here's the relevant Wikipedia article:
    Darkhawk



    Quote:
    Were you a fan back in the day?


1. I liked Chris as a member of the New Warriors
2. I didn't really like his solo comic. The art and stories were never that great. The origin of the Darkhawk amulets revealed around issue 25 was kind of confusing (who has which armor again?).
3. I loved the stuff they did with him in War of Kings. They dumped the origin (which I thought was pretty crappy) and reinvented it from scratch. I loved the whole Fraternity of Raptors angle. And the art in that War of Kings Ascension limited series (which was about Darkhawk and the Fraternity of Raptors) was gorgeous. If you haven't read that go find it.






Posted with Mozilla Firefox 55.0 on Windows 7
Iron Man Unit 007


Member Since: Thu Oct 20, 2011
Posts: 1,960




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 55.0 on Windows 7
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 7,204



I just found Silverhawks comics to download on a Russian site over the weekend.

I remember one year for his birthday I bought my buddy a season of the Silverhawks cartoon on DVD. I had never heard of them until he mentioned them.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 55.0 on Windows 7
Dakota


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 300


A comic store opened in my hometown around the time of Darkhawk #1, so I grabbed it out of curiosity and as a possible collectible item, but enjoyed it so much that I kept reading until it ended.

The art was a lot better the first 25 issues with Mike Manley.

He was a teenager, so the whole journey of learning the powers crossed with high school and family life worked well, and there was one writer for all 50 issues to tie it together. I was very disappointed when it was cancelled.


Posted with Google Chrome 61.0.3163.79 on Windows 10
Rodimus


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 3,022





- Rodimus




New 2099 UGR Fanfiction Group Forum!

THE place to talk about the fanfics and 2099 in general!:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/the2099ugrfanficgroup/

2099 UGR Fanfiction site:
http://2099ugr.weebly.com/


G1 Transformers Cartoon: Virtual Season 4 Extension:
http://www.virtualtransformerstv.thetfcog.com
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PVTransformers (Staff List)

Virtual Transformers Forum:
http://www.tfcog.net/forums/index.php?board=19.0

(Sunbow/Marvel) G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero: Virtual Season 3:
https://virtualgijoe.groups.io/g/main

MUGEN 2099 Project Staff list:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marvel_2099_MUGEN_Project
Posted with Google Chrome 49.0.2623.112 on Windows XP
America's Captain 

Maintainer

Location: Bayville New Jersey
Member Since: Mon Aug 06, 2012
Posts: 9,790



    Quote:
    A comic store opened in my hometown around the time of Darkhawk #1, so I grabbed it out of curiosity and as a possible collectible item, but enjoyed it so much that I kept reading until it ended.


I can't wait to get my collection of Darkhawk 1-9 in the mail!


    Quote:
    The art was a lot better the first 25 issues with Mike Manley.


I decided to try my luck at eBay for issues 10-26 (issue 26 has the New Warriors on the cover) and the first two annuals. Got them all for a combined total of $46.47 (includes shipping) and ended up buying from three different sellers to get all of what I wanted. I always insist on VF/NM and only buy from sellers with a lot of transactions and high positive feedback.


    Quote:
    He was a teenager, so the whole journey of learning the powers crossed with high school and family life worked well, and there was one writer for all 50 issues to tie it together. I was very disappointed when it was cancelled.


I think the general consensus is, any post-Bronze Age new character who can sustain a series for 50 issues can be counted a success. Interested in the question of how many such characters there actually were from our era, I used Wikipedia and eBay to come up with a list, which I've posted in a thread of its own.

I'm excited by my excursion into another 90s comic. Last time I did this, the series was The New Warriors, and I was quite satisfied. Hopefully Darkhawk will continue the trend!






Posted with Google Chrome 60.0.3112.113 on Windows 10

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2017 Powermad Software