Eighties and Nineties Message Board >> View Thread

Author
America's Captain 

Maintainer

Location: Bayville New Jersey
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 11,295


I just finished reading Generation X Classic Volume One. This had the Uncanny X-Men and Adjectiveless X-Men issues of the Phalanx Covenant saga which introduced Generation X, and then had the first four issues of the Generation X comic.

The team is mentored by Banshee and Emma. This was a period when Banshee (1) hadn't lost his powers; (2) didn't have a broken jaw; (3) wasn't dead. I wonder why Marvel keeps wanting to get rid of the guy? I always liked him. Meanwhile, Emma is Emma, though I noticed she dressed quite a bit more conservatively than I'm used to. I think this was mainly a quirk of the artist, because at one point one of the characters makes a semi-snide comment about how Emma dresses, and it was amusing to me because in these issues, Emma wasn't dressing to fit the comment.

Monet St. Croix is awesome. She doesn't seem to be a front runner with the fans and I don't know why. Penance was actually scary in a cool way. Chamber was most interesting in his ability to connect with Penance. Jubilee was her usual entertaining self. The remaining three characters - Skin, Husk, Synch - didn't really do much for me. I didn't like their powers. I don't even really understand their powers. Skin is something like a stretching hero, but it's only his skin, which is weird. Husk sheds her old self, which seems like mainly a variation on healing, except one time she emerged from the shedding as a different sort of being, apparently somewhat invulnerable. Synch "attunes" to the powers around him - whatever that means. I never figured it out. He wasn't exactly absorbing and wielding the powers around him, or at least I don't think he was.

Were you a fan of this team?






Posted with Google Chrome 61.0.3163.100 on Windows 10
Superman's Pal

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 3,026



    Quote:
    I just finished reading Generation X Classic Volume One. This had the Uncanny X-Men and Adjectiveless X-Men issues of the Phalanx Covenant saga which introduced Generation X, and then had the first four issues of the Generation X comic.

I had all these books (and followed the series beyond). I guess the marketing worked! I picked up the Phalanx Covenant and I it led me to Gen X.


    Quote:
    The team is mentored by Banshee and Emma. This was a period when Banshee (1) hadn't lost his powers; (2) didn't have a broken jaw; (3) wasn't dead. I wonder why Marvel keeps wanting to get rid of the guy? I always liked him. Meanwhile, Emma is Emma, though I noticed she dressed quite a bit more conservatively than I'm used to. I think this was mainly a quirk of the artist, because at one point one of the characters makes a semi-snide comment about how Emma dresses, and it was amusing to me because in these issues, Emma wasn't dressing to fit the comment.

It was my only real exposure to these characters. They seemed like a couple of exes trying to share custody of the kids and remain civil.


    Quote:
    Monet St. Croix is awesome. She doesn't seem to be a front runner with the fans and I don't know why.

Doesn't she turn out to be two girls who merge into one? And that's supposed to explain why some times she has personality and some times she's a blank? She's supposed to be autistic on top of that. Maybe she has too much going on.


    Quote:
    Penance was actually scary in a cool way. Chamber was most interesting in his ability to connect with Penance. Jubilee was her usual entertaining self.

Penance looked good but I'm not sure what her character was about. Chamber was supposed to have the issue that since his mouth a throat were missing he couldn't talk, but wasn't he telepathic anyway? Jubilee is okay, I think I liked her better as Wolverine's sidekick.


    Quote:
    The remaining three characters - Skin, Husk, Synch - didn't really do much for me. I didn't like their powers. I don't even really understand their powers. Skin is something like a stretching hero, but it's only his skin, which is weird. Husk sheds her old self, which seems like mainly a variation on healing, except one time she emerged from the shedding as a different sort of being, apparently somewhat invulnerable. Synch "attunes" to the powers around him - whatever that means. I never figured it out. He wasn't exactly absorbing and wielding the powers around him, or at least I don't think he was.

I thought Synch could copy the powers of anyone he was near. Isn't that Bishop's power? Or can Bishop only track mutants?


    Quote:
    Were you a fan of this team?

I liked Bachalo's artwork. When he left I didn't care for it as much. I think Tom Grummett came in for a couple of arcs and I liked it. I think they had some interesting characters but I can't really remember any of the adventures they went on.

The TV movie didn't help them out.


Posted with Google Chrome 61.0.3163.98 on Linux
Nose Norton


Location: Plainville
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,719


I wasn’t a fan at the time. The only issue I bought was #59, which has a Spider-Man appearance. However, I have read the first 15 or so issues in the past couple of years and I like the title, which surprised me. Generally, aside from the original X-Men and the first few years of the New X-Men, I don’t like mutants. Especially teen mutants. I don’t like the idea of a superhero school and I never cared for characters like the New Mutants, Jubilee, Boom Boom, etc. but I like Generation X. Like you, I don’t get some of the characters as their powers seem vague and confusing, but I like the stories.
Maybe I just like Scott Lobdell more than guys like Nicieza, Louise Simonson and Claremont.


Posted with Apple iPhone 11.0
Reverend Meteor


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 10,556




    Quote:
    I just finished reading Generation X Classic Volume One. This had the Uncanny X-Men and Adjectiveless X-Men issues of the Phalanx Covenant saga which introduced Generation X, and then had the first four issues of the Generation X comic.



    Quote:
    The team is mentored by Banshee and Emma. This was a period when Banshee (1) hadn't lost his powers; (2) didn't have a broken jaw; (3) wasn't dead. I wonder why Marvel keeps wanting to get rid of the guy? I always liked him. Meanwhile, Emma is Emma, though I noticed she dressed quite a bit more conservatively than I'm used to. I think this was mainly a quirk of the artist, because at one point one of the characters makes a semi-snide comment about how Emma dresses, and it was amusing to me because in these issues, Emma wasn't dressing to fit the comment.



    Quote:
    Monet St. Croix is awesome. She doesn't seem to be a front runner with the fans and I don't know why. Penance was actually scary in a cool way. Chamber was most interesting in his ability to connect with Penance. Jubilee was her usual entertaining self. The remaining three characters - Skin, Husk, Synch - didn't really do much for me. I didn't like their powers. I don't even really understand their powers. Skin is something like a stretching hero, but it's only his skin, which is weird. Husk sheds her old self, which seems like mainly a variation on healing, except one time she emerged from the shedding as a different sort of being, apparently somewhat invulnerable. Synch "attunes" to the powers around him - whatever that means. I never figured it out. He wasn't exactly absorbing and wielding the powers around him, or at least I don't think he was.



    Quote:
    Were you a fan of this team?


I did like them. But I seem to remember losing interest when Chris Bachalo left. The book had a distinctive look with him around.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 56.0 on Windows 7
Menshevik


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 4,050



    Quote:
    I just finished reading Generation X Classic Volume One. This had the Uncanny X-Men and Adjectiveless X-Men issues of the Phalanx Covenant saga which introduced Generation X, and then had the first four issues of the Generation X comic.



    Quote:
    The team is mentored by Banshee and Emma. This was a period when Banshee (1) hadn't lost his powers; (2) didn't have a broken jaw; (3) wasn't dead. I wonder why Marvel keeps wanting to get rid of the guy? I always liked him. Meanwhile, Emma is Emma, though I noticed she dressed quite a bit more conservatively than I'm used to. I think this was mainly a quirk of the artist, because at one point one of the characters makes a semi-snide comment about how Emma dresses, and it was amusing to me because in these issues, Emma wasn't dressing to fit the comment.



    Quote:
    Monet St. Croix is awesome. She doesn't seem to be a front runner with the fans and I don't know why. Penance was actually scary in a cool way. Chamber was most interesting in his ability to connect with Penance. Jubilee was her usual entertaining self. The remaining three characters - Skin, Husk, Synch - didn't really do much for me. I didn't like their powers. I don't even really understand their powers. Skin is something like a stretching hero, but it's only his skin, which is weird. Husk sheds her old self, which seems like mainly a variation on healing, except one time she emerged from the shedding as a different sort of being, apparently somewhat invulnerable. Synch "attunes" to the powers around him - whatever that means. I never figured it out. He wasn't exactly absorbing and wielding the powers around him, or at least I don't think he was.



    Quote:
    Were you a fan of this team?


Yes, and I even read the occasional GenX fan-fiction on the net. The series was one of Scott Lobdell's best efforts and, I may be misremembering, but I think it was the firs time I had seen Chris Bachalo work on a superhero comic (previously I knew him only from Vertigo comics written by Neil Gaiman).

It definitely was my favourite era for Emma Frost. Just about my only quibble was with the de-aging of Jubilee - Jubes had been introduced as entering the X-Men at a slightly higher aged than Kitty had been at the time of the Dark Phoenix Saga, now for no good reason she was a thirteen-year old.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 56.0 on Windows 7

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2018 Powermad Software