Eighties and Nineties Message Board >> View Thread

Author
Superman's Pal

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 4,600




Babylon 5 - Season Two (1994-1995)

Here we go again. B5 commander Sinclair has been written out for behind-the-scenes reasons we talked about last time. He's been reassigned off-camera and B5 is left without a commander until John Sheridan arrives. I said that Michael O'Hare (as Sinclair) was a bit like John Wayne in his acting; I think Bruce Boxleitner (as Sheridan) is more like Tom Cruise. Slick, polished, always with a plastic smile. He has more charisma than O'Hare and can do intensity but there are times he seems, I hate to say it, a little phony? But maybe that's just the character trying to put on a good face for everyone he deals with.

Delenn comes out of her cocoon and is now half-Minbari, half-Human. I'm sure Bill Mumy (Lennier) was jealous she got to wear a less severe alien makeup. The story says that she morphed in order to bridge the gap between Minbari and Human but it will make her an outcast among her own race and lose her seat on the Grey Council.

There are two ongoing stories that play behind the scenes. One is political unrest among the Humans: B5 is losing the support of Earthgov, the last president of Earth was probably assassinated by his successor, and Earth's colony on Mars has rebelled against Earth and is now being quelled forcefully. The other is the coming of the Shadows, hinted at in Season 1 and this time it plays out mostly through the Centauri's enslavement of the Narns.

Londo and G'Kar are somewhat reversed in their screen time. Last season Londo was on a lot and G'Kar was used sparingly. Here, Londo vanishes for long stretches of time and is barely there when he does appear. His deal with the Shadows last season to reclaim one Narn outpost that had escaped from Centauri rule has prompted a new Centauri Emperor who declares open war on the Narn and decimates their military and civilian population. Londo has little reaction on the surface. As they bomb the Narn homeworld to complete their conquest, Londo just stares out the window. Does he regret his actions? Have they gone too far? Or is he happy that the Centrauri are winning again? Probably a mixture of both. Last season he waxed nostalgic at length about the glory days of his empire, now he doesn't have much to say. G'Kar on the other hand finds himself carrying the torch for his rapidly diminishing species, having to swallow his anger in order to maintain what's left, and he gets a lot more to do.

In the middle of all this, Sheridan becomes aware of Mr. Morden, the Shadows' represatitve on B5 that only Londo knew about before. When he finally gets his hands on Morden, Delenn and Kosh tell him to let the man go. Apparently they've known about the Shadows for some time and want to play it close to the vest. I'm not sure if that was wise or not.

Then there's Talia and the telepaths. After defending the telepaths to Ivanova who hates them for what happened to her mother, Talia ends up turning on them too, I guess. Some of these episodes come out of nowhere. Bester returns looking for an underground railroad of escaped telepaths, it turns out to be run by the good Dr. Franklin but this is hardly ever mentioned again. Talia lies to protect them and I guess turns on Psi Corps? When we see her later in the season she and Ivanova have become friends, one of the few good pieces of character development here, and I take it they are lovers now too? It wasn't stated too explicitly but this was the '90s, that wasn't really a thing yet. Then suddenly we find out that Talia is a sleeper agent who turns against them all and they just let her go. Didn't she kill someone? It was a rushed exit, I can only guess it was done for production reasons as well. Too bad her mental upgrade to super-duper telepath powers from season one was forgotten. Or will it be referenced later? Also, Ivanova is revealed to be a telepath also. Was this so she can take Talia's place in any future storylines? They already brought Lyta back.

Oh, and Keffer. This guy gets added to the main cast roster, at least in the opening credits, but only appears in 3 or 4 episodes. I guess I predicted his arc incorrectly. In an early episode as they rescue a ship stranded in hyperspace they find something lurking in that void, which is the Shadows of course. The episode ends with the ship rescued but Keffer is lost in the void. Then he suddenly reappears. I assumed this sudden reappearance would mean he was somehow corrupted by the Shadows and would become a sleeper agent but that doesn't happen. Instead about 15 episodes later we see him again and he's simply trying to find the thing hiding in hyperspace still, and finally does.

And then we see Kosh's true form, I guess, as he rescues Sheridan from an assassination attempt. Interesting.

It all looks very good on paper, but there's something missing. Hard to put my finger on it. This show is very okay, but it's not blowing me away. The production, the dialogue, maybe it's the acting or the pacing, something seems off. I think the overall plot is interesting. There will be an occasional moment that's really good, be it acting or writing. For all the production shortcomings, I have to say the alien makeup is excellent. There was an episode with like 30 Narn extras all made up and that is an extensive makeup and it's very well done.

I was suprised sometimes by how little the characters react. Maybe there's nothing to be done. They believe Earth's president was assassinated, but they can't do anything. One of B5's members, the Centauri, openly declare war on another member, the Narn, and nobody does anything. They don't even seem that mad about it until it has gone on for several episodes. Wouldn't B5 kick the Centauri out? Wouldn't anybody defend the Narn with their space fleets? They don't even apply sanctions to the Centauri. Earthgov's response makes sense later, when we learn they are in bed with the Centauri, but what about Sheridan? He doesn't agree with Earth most of the time. After G'Kar's entire population has been wiped out but for a handful of survivors, Sheridan pledges to help him in the future. Why didn't he pledge his help when it would have mattered? By the end of the season it occurs to me that both Earth and the Centauri have had their leaders replaced and they are probably both working for the Shadows, does this occur to the characters? These people should all be coming apart at the seams but they are still able to function normally on a day-to-day basis.



Posted with Google Chrome 83.0.4103.97 on Windows 10
Iron Man Unit 007

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,131


They had to let G'kar' world be bombed or they would risk tipping their hand that they knew the Shadows were coming, thus provoking the shadows to attack sooner.

The First Ones are scattered and the Vorlons are not yet motivated to fight......, YET

More is revealed of Delenn and her heritage and her transformation as the series goes on. You should also watch the B5 TV movie In The Beginning then start Season 3

Londo: he wanted power, fame and glory for himself and his people, thus Morden realized he'd be a great puppet for the Shadows as Londo did not stop to think about the PRICE that such pwoer and fame would cost. When Londo finally does figure things out he takes steps to eliminate the threats and distance himself from Morden. Also his partner in crime Lord Reefa is far more guilty then Londo.

Talia's departure does indeed feel forced, but rest assured she is gone. Listen to what Bester tells Sheridan when Sherdian tells Bester that he holds him responsible for what happened to her. All subplots about Talia such as her brainwaves being recorded by the VCR and her upgrade by Ironheart are dropped. Ivanova, yes she is a latent telepath but no she will not take over as the new telepath. Lyta Alexander is coming back. (and there is much rejoicing). As to whether Talia and Ivanova were lovers, it is implied but never stated.

Kosh emerging from his suit to save Sheridan....look closely, everyone sees Kosh as a holy figure from their various religions, Sheridan sees Kosh as an Angel, possibly Gabriel. Only Londo didn't see anything possibly due to his current corruption by the Shadows or else he is not a believer. Kosh will later state that being seen by so many was a major strain on his power reserves. More revelations about this as the series goes.

yes they believe/know Clark is corrupt but in order to stop him you need evidence which is scarce at the moment and Clark has all his people in the right places, and this includes removing a lot of political and legal restraints that kept the Psi Corp in check. it isn't a case of bad acting or story, this is a fight for the future of Earth and beyond so charging in guns blazing just wont work.

Things for Season 3:

Lyta returns!

Marcus is a regular now. Just wait until he has words with the syndicate in the tavern....

The search for the First Ones begins

More Bester!

Episode 3: a great elevator scene with Londo and G'kar! If you ever had doubts about the hate G'kar has for Londo....

Episode 6: an amped up G'kar decides to have words with Londo....

The Nightwatch.....

Episode 9: get ready.....

Ep 15: Sheridan has words with Kosh....

Ep 16 and 17: a two parter that brings Sinclair back. Plot threads are wrapped and others continue.

Ep 20: poetic justice

Also the ISN will go down and come back.....with a dark twist

Edit:. Forgot to ask, what did you think of the Vorlon inquisitor?
Kind of makes you stop and wonder just whether the Vorlon are indeed the "good guys".


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 77.0 on Windows 7
Superman's Pal

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 4,600



    Quote:
    They had to let G'kar' world be bombed or they would risk tipping their hand that they knew the Shadows were coming, thus provoking the shadows to attack sooner.

Maybe I'm not clear on this. I just started Season 3 and I don't think even yet if the B5 people know that the Shadows are behind the Centauri. We know about Londo's deal but they don't. They just think the Centauri decided to attack the Narn one day and no one seemed to care. There was that episode where G'Kar went around asking everyone for support and they all said no. Earth saying no at least made sense when we find out they are in league with the Centauri. Sheridan didn't seem totally happy with the decision but he didn't really argue with it either. I have a feeling Sinclair would have been more bothered by it all.


    Quote:
    The First Ones are scattered and the Vorlons are not yet motivated to fight......, YET



    Quote:
    More is revealed of Delenn and her heritage and her transformation as the series goes on. You should also watch the B5 TV movie In The Beginning then start Season 3

Is that a good place to watch it? Didn't it air around Season 4? That's where my "watching order" list places it.


    Quote:
    Londo: he wanted power, fame and glory for himself and his people, thus Morden realized he'd be a great puppet for the Shadows as Londo did not stop to think about the PRICE that such pwoer and fame would cost. When Londo finally does figure things out he takes steps to eliminate the threats and distance himself from Morden. Also his partner in crime Lord Reefa is far more guilty then Londo.

The Centauri elite all seem pleased with themselves for re-conquering the Narn. Londo is quiet about it, he's not jumping for joy but we haven't heard any regret about it. Only Vir seems really bothered.


    Quote:
    Talia's departure does indeed feel forced, but rest assured she is gone. Listen to what Bester tells Sheridan when Sherdian tells Bester that he holds him responsible for what happened to her. All subplots about Talia such as her brainwaves being recorded by the VCR and her upgrade by Ironheart are dropped. Ivanova, yes she is a latent telepath but no she will not take over as the new telepath. Lyta Alexander is coming back. (and there is much rejoicing). As to whether Talia and Ivanova were lovers, it is implied but never stated.

I understand an actor leaving on short notice, like Lyta being replaced by Talia in the first place. But why suddenly turn Talia evil, dump all her subplots, why not leave the door open like they did with Lyta or Sheridan? Just seemed abrupt. Did she do something to piss them off?

I was happy to see Lyta back. I also like Andrea Thompson on NYPD Blue so it was a win/win.


    Quote:
    Kosh emerging from his suit to save Sheridan....look closely, everyone sees Kosh as a holy figure from their various religions, Sheridan sees Kosh as an Angel, possibly Gabriel. Only Londo didn't see anything possibly due to his current corruption by the Shadows or else he is not a believer. Kosh will later state that being seen by so many was a major strain on his power reserves. More revelations about this as the series goes.

I didn't notice Londo not seeing anything, I should rewatch that scene. I still question since everyone saw something different, did they see his true form or just a projection?


    Quote:
    yes they believe/know Clark is corrupt but in order to stop him you need evidence which is scarce at the moment and Clark has all his people in the right places, and this includes removing a lot of political and legal restraints that kept the Psi Corp in check. it isn't a case of bad acting or story, this is a fight for the future of Earth and beyond so charging in guns blazing just wont work.

They just don't really talk about it. If they want to do something about it but can't I would think they would be more agitated all the time. The only one who seems continuously annoyed is Dr. Franklin because the Centauri attack left him with too many dead Narns to treat.


    Quote:
    Things for Season 3:



    Quote:
    Lyta returns!



    Quote:
    Marcus is a regular now. Just wait until he has words with the syndicate in the tavern....



    Quote:
    The search for the First Ones begins



    Quote:
    More Bester!



    Quote:
    Episode 3: a great elevator scene with Londo and G'kar! If you ever had doubts about the hate G'kar has for Londo....

That was good, but it still seems weird to see someone who is outwardly so aggressive as G'Kar to fold so easily, to say there's nothing he can do to Londo but just watch him die. But that's his struggle.


    Quote:
    Episode 6: an amped up G'kar decides to have words with Londo....



    Quote:
    The Nightwatch.....



    Quote:
    Episode 9: get ready.....



    Quote:
    Ep 15: Sheridan has words with Kosh....



    Quote:
    Ep 16 and 17: a two parter that brings Sinclair back. Plot threads are wrapped and others continue.



    Quote:
    Ep 20: poetic justice



    Quote:
    Also the ISN will go down and come back.....with a dark twist



    Quote:
    Edit:. Forgot to ask, what did you think of the Vorlon inquisitor?
    Kind of makes you stop and wonder just whether the Vorlon are indeed the "good guys".

He was a little hammy. I guess since Delenn was free to leave and stop the torture any time she wanted, I didn't feel like the Inquisitor was too evil. Just testing what her limits were to see if she was suited to the battle ahead. Cold, but not bad.

The reveal of his true identity was a little silly. And didn't Star Trek do that first? ;\)



Posted with Google Chrome 83.0.4103.97 on MacOS X
Iron Man Unit 007

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,131


Well there are shows that take advantage of the legend of Jack, true.

But B5 I think did it very well. Especially the look on his face when he says "Remembered only......as JACK"

As to G'kar he didn't fold at all in the elevator scene. He states the terms of the surrender and knows that if Londo's death comes from suffocation from the fire then it isn't murder by a Narn and thus the terms of surrender are not violated. G'kar gets to see Londo dead even if he dies in the process. That is HATRED

Plus I love how at the end as they lay there they are still trading barbs with each other.

Sheridan knows something is wrong, remember how Garibaldi's shooter and all evidence were whisked away? Then comes the non agression pact with the Centauri

Yes watch In the Beginning in the order you have it listed. Also watch THIRD SPACE as soon as the Shadow War ends

Look at Londo's face as Narn is being bombed, he is regretful but silent. If he speaks up now, he will be killed. Karma will deal with Londo throughout the series.


As to what people saw when Kosh emerged, keep watching.


They also don't talk much about Clark yet as they do not know who is with Clark and who isn't. Walls have ears as they say.


https://screenrant.com/babylon-5-dark-secrets-trivia-facts/



EDIT: Also in Season 1, 2 and 3: pay attention to any and all references to Valen.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 77.0 on Windows 7

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2021 Powermad Software