Amazing Spider-Man Message Board >> View Thread

Author
Saturnine




The page dedicated to Mike Wieringo. Really nicely done. It was moving. The other thing I liked was that little diagram of Peter's arm. This is the first time i've seen anything like that and thought it was really cool. The closeup of the spinerettes,amd al the different web glands was awesome. As far as extras go, I didn't really mind the other stuff either. Whatd you guys think?


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
PDT




> The page dedicated to Mike Wieringo. Really nicely done. It was moving. The other thing I liked was that little diagram of Peter's arm. This is the first time i've seen anything like that and thought it was really cool. The closeup of the spinerettes,amd al the different web glands was awesome. As far as extras go, I didn't really mind the other stuff either. Whatd you guys think?

Those things were nice enough, and I imagine they (and Peter's bio) were put in there for new readers (it seems pretty clear to me that they're trying to make OMD as self-contained as possible, so new readers can pick it up and read it on the go without having to read Civil War and Back in Black). Still, I would rather more stuff about JoeyQ's layouts and artwork.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
Crazy Penguin




> The other thing I liked was that little diagram of Peter's arm. This is the first time i've seen anything like that and thought it was really cool. The closeup of the spinerettes,amd al the different web glands was awesome.

Anyone got a scan of this?


Posted with Netscape Navigator 7.2 on Windows XP
PDT





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
Crazy Penguin




> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/tyrant2/untitled-8.jpg

Thanks.

Pretty gross and still doesn't really explain how all that stuff fits inside his arms or how pressing the palm of his hand activates his webs or why his webs function identically to the ones he created.

I hope this is the first thing done away with.


Posted with Netscape Navigator 7.2 on Windows XP
Andrew




> > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/tyrant2/untitled-8.jpg
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pretty gross and still doesn't really explain how all that stuff fits inside his arms or how pressing the palm of his hand activates his webs or why his webs function identically to the ones he created.
>
> I hope this is the first thing done away with.

Still, it isn't nearly as stupid a thing as most of the other stuff that's been done to Peter over the last few years.

In comparison to the rest, organic webbing is pretty forgivable (and honestly it doesn't really bother me).


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Surt




> > http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v24/tyrant2/untitled-8.jpg
>
> Thanks.
>
> Pretty gross and still doesn't really explain how all that stuff fits inside his arms or how pressing the palm of his hand activates his webs or why his webs function identically to the ones he created.
>
> I hope this is the first thing done away with.

In a world where a certain guy pops out three carving knives out of each hand without anyone asking "HOW DO THEY FIT?!?", I don't think thats a very big problem! ;\)


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
StanthamanLee





Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
PDT




Yeah, it's just one of those things. I, too, am still not sure how exactly all that stuff fits into his forearms (especially the stingers).


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
MajinVegeta




> Yeah, it's just one of those thins. I, too, am still not sure how exactly all that stuff fits into his forearms (especially the stingers).

Tried and true Marvel Handbook explanation:

"unknown source, possibly extra-dimensional"


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
PDT




> > Yeah, it's just one of those thins. I, too, am still not sure how exactly all that stuff fits into his forearms (especially the stingers).
>
> Tried and true Marvel Handbook explanation:
>
> "unknown source, possibly extra-dimensional"


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
StanthamanLee




> > > Yeah, it's just one of those thins. I, too, am still not sure how exactly all that stuff fits into his forearms (especially the stingers).
> >
> > Tried and true Marvel Handbook explanation:
> >
> > "unknown source, possibly extra-dimensional"


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Crazy Penguin




> In a world where a certain guy pops out three carving knives out of each hand without anyone asking "HOW DO THEY FIT?!?", I don't think thats a very big problem! ;\)

Wolverine's claws had sound and consistent internal logic. To begin with anyway, before they were "carving knives" and before they were his bones.


Posted with Netscape Navigator 7.2 on Windows XP
MattS80





Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Mike Fichera




> The page dedicated to Mike Wieringo. Really nicely done. It was moving. The other thing I liked was that little diagram of Peter's arm. This is the first time i've seen anything like that and thought it was really cool. The closeup of the spinerettes,amd al the different web glands was awesome. As far as extras go, I didn't really mind the other stuff either. Whatd you guys think?


Glad to hear you guys liked the diagram. It originally appeared in the Spider-Man Back in Black Handbook that came out a few months ago.
I drew the figure and wrote the anatomical details with help from Dr. Michael Ellison of Clemson University, a top expert in natural and artificial silks. Eliot R Brown guided me too with trying to strike a balance between using real world details to add the sense that stuff in the comic world can really happen - and crossing the line into total horse..er spider manure.

The volume of silk Peter can pack into his arms was a major point of debate. I considered perhaps his reservoir was in his abdomen, like a real spider, and channeled through his arms - but Eliot thought the rapid response to secrete webs would be too severely hindered - the ol' KISS rule: Keep It Simple (Stupid!) So, I have to fall back on the willing suspension of disbelief...if everyone's been OK with the volume of webs packed into a tiny web cartrdige, I had to hope the same would hold true for the densely packed forearms.

As for the pressing of his fingers as a "trigger" - I guess I ran out of room to address it, but I had intended to note that it's more of a psychological habit to make the hand gesture, though no longer necessary - the release is like flexing a new muscle you never had before. Moving his wrist clears the passage for the web. Why do the webs come out of his arms and not his butt? There comes a point where a Handbook writer crosses the line into realms the books' writers should handle. Perhaps JMS might have wanted to say there were mystical forces at work and that it was no coincidence the webs developed in the same place he constructed his artificial web shooters... I don't know. But my job was to say what's there, not how it got there.

-Mike


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows 2000
Surt




> > In a world where a certain guy pops out three carving knives out of each hand without anyone asking "HOW DO THEY FIT?!?", I don't think thats a very big problem! ;\)
>
> Wolverine's claws had sound and consistent internal logic. To begin with anyway, before they were "carving knives" and before they were his bones.

You got exacly the same problem there buddy. Those three carving knives, be it bone or not, occupy physical space. IN addition, the muscles/mechanism that allows them to pop out take up even more space.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
Keith Robinson




> > The page dedicated to Mike Wieringo. Really nicely done. It was moving. The other thing I liked was that little diagram of Peter's arm. This is the first time i've seen anything like that and thought it was really cool. The closeup of the spinerettes,amd al the different web glands was awesome. As far as extras go, I didn't really mind the other stuff either. Whatd you guys think?
>
> Those things were nice enough, and I imagine they (and Peter's bio) were put in there for new readers (it seems pretty clear to me that they're trying to make OMD as self-contained as possible, so new readers can pick it up and read it on the go without having to read Civil War and Back in Black). Still, I would rather more stuff about JoeyQ's layouts and artwork.

I would have liked to see some scripts myself.

--------------

Possibly Coming Soon From Image Comics.

THE REAPER

Written and Created (Characters/Story) by Keith Robinson, Pencils By Ivan Barriga, Inked By Henrik "H" Horvath Colored by ??, Letter by ??, Edited by Michael Johnson.


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
Somebody




> > > In a world where a certain guy pops out three carving knives out of each hand without anyone asking "HOW DO THEY FIT?!?", I don't think thats a very big problem! ;\)
> >
> > Wolverine's claws had sound and consistent internal logic. To begin with anyway, before they were "carving knives" and before they were his bones.
>
> You got exacly the same problem there buddy. Those three carving knives, be it bone or not, occupy physical space. IN addition, the muscles/mechanism that allows them to pop out take up even more space.


SomebodyMy Banners [Backup Site
World War Hulk: This is not War, this is Pest Control. (pic of Hulk hitting Iron Man with a Big Clunking Fist.)

Get Firefox!Get Firefox!The Hunger site, The Rainforests site, Guardian
24 000 people die every day from hunger alone. Read, and Think a little.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP
Nobody




nt


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.6 on Windows XP

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2021 Powermad Software