X-Universe >> View Thread
1 2  >> All
Author
Quantum


Member Since: Sun Dec 21, 2008
Posts: 1,771


The most recent issue I have is X-Men 518, HAnk is talking to bobby, and he looks like he did pre-morrison. On the cover of 519, he looks like tony the tiger again.

What state is he in now, and why are they drawing him 2 different ways?


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows Vista
riprap


Member Since: Tue Nov 24, 2009
Posts: 144


Have you seen him in the Sword series yet? He looks like a horse. Ever since the cat look started no two artists draw Hank the same way. I love the old ape look and wish Marvel would go back to that. Sword has at least made him a fun-loving, joking character again. Not like the morose, only a scientist guy he has been.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 4.0; on Windows XP
ScarletSpider




Although Hank in SWORD has been drawn awkwardly, I do like the revitalization of his personality. He's the fun, but still very intelligent, Hank that I've been waiting to see for awhile. I think some of this attitude would have been a lot of fun in UX-Men too--especially in his interactions with the X-Club.

Speaking of, I know they would never do it, because he's not a mutant, but I thought it would be neat if Hank recruited Wonder Man to the X-Club. He's not a scientist, sure, but Hank keeps Warren and Betsy around for money and protection--having Beast's best friend around for protection and heavy lifting would have been cool. I think having Dr. Nemesis ridicule Simon all the time would have made Simon start using his engineering degree and brain again, instead of being an idiot "action star" actor, money embezzling putz.


Posted with Apple Safari 4.0.4 on MacOS X
Mr Sinister






I wish Marvel would lay down a consistent character template for the guy, so that this foolishness doesn't continue...



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.16 on Windows Vista
Todd Arliss


Member Since: Mon Nov 09, 2009
Posts: 637



    Quote:
    Have you seen him in the Sword series yet? He looks like a horse. Ever since the cat look started no two artists draw Hank the same way. I love the old ape look and wish Marvel would go back to that. Sword has at least made him a fun-loving, joking character again. Not like the morose, only a scientist guy he has been.


Does he use use big words again like he did in the past?


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 4.0; on Windows XP
Todd Arliss


Member Since: Mon Nov 09, 2009
Posts: 637



    Quote:



    Quote:
    I wish Marvel would lay down a consistent character template for the guy, so that this foolishness doesn't continue...



    Quote:


Hank isn't the only victim. Tiger Shark (one of my favorite supervillains) is often drawn differently nowadays. Sometimes he's shown in his original form, other times he's depicted in his 'mutant tadpole' appearence. Sadly, continuity isn't as important at Marvel as it was 20 years ago.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 8 4.0; on Windows XP
emerick-man

Moderator

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 64,132



    Quote:

      Quote:

      Quote:

        Quote:
        I wish Marvel would lay down a consistent character template for the guy, so that this foolishness doesn't continue...

        Quote:

          Quote:



    Quote:
    Hank isn't the only victim. Tiger Shark (one of my favorite supervillains) is often drawn differently nowadays. Sometimes he's shown in his original form, other times he's depicted in his 'mutant tadpole' appearence. Sadly, continuity isn't as important at Marvel as it was 20 years ago.


Agreed. Too radical to rationalize at times. At least with TS they could explain it as unstable bio-gene instability AFAIK. But with Hank whom readers follow faithfullly every week this artistic license seems unfairly issued. A consistent character chronology for him would be nice for multi-title readers. So, his horrendous template in SWORD occurs after him just leaving the Xmen this week, right. Am very trepadatious to find out his previous appearance and facial appearance just 2 issues from now in the must see fight of with Rulk in HULK 20.

http://marvel.com/catalog/?id=13948







I miss you, Dan. I miss you, Dad. I miss you, Dan.
I miss you, Dad & Dan. I miss you Dad and Dan. Support Cancer Research.
Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Mr Sinister






    Quote:
    Am very trepadatious to find out his previous appearance and facial appearance just 2 issues from now in the must see fight of with Rulk in HULK 20.



    Quote:
    http://marvel.com/catalog/?id=13948



    Quote:


Hank appears in Red Hulk's book? Cool.

And by cool, I mean totally sweet.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.16 on Windows Vista
Evil G:DR




If Rulk is the one to finally deliver to Scott and Frost the beatdown they've been deserving for years, it will prove the existence of God.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Mr Sinister






    Quote:
    If Rulk is the one to finally deliver to Scott and Frost the beatdown they've been deserving for years, it will prove the existence of God.


Rulk popping Emma's implants like pimples and literally shoving Scott's head up his backside to keep that ever-present stick company would be both gruesome and hilarious. Therefore, it must happen.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.16 on Windows Vista
The Black Guardian 

Moderator

Location: Paragon City, RI
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 25,919






City of Heroes is BACK!
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.5.6 on Windows Vista
Evil G:DR




OK, sure, clearly nothing permanent or lasting is going to happen to any of the X-Men in a guest-appearance in the Red Hulk's book, but we CAN hope to see Scott and Frost get Rulksmashed with humiliating ease like Thor and Green Hulk did, and we actually have a pretty damn decent chance of getting to see that happen, so have hope, have faith, don't stop believing in the power of Red Hulk.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Mr Sinister






    Quote:
    OK, sure, clearly nothing permanent or lasting is going to happen to any of the X-Men in a guest-appearance in the Red Hulk's book, but we CAN hope to see Scott and Frost get Rulksmashed with humiliating ease like Thor and Green Hulk did, and we actually have a pretty damn decent chance of getting to see that happen, so have hope, have faith, don't stop believing in the power of Red Hulk.


Yep. Red Hulk gets to beat the ever-loving tar out of anyone who steps in his way in his own title - he beat down Thor, Iron Man She-Hulk (and the whole of her gal-pal hero team), Green Hulk & the freakin' Watcher.

So if he doesn't get to deal out a massive dose of right-fist therapy to the Scott/Emma freakshow, there will have been no justice. At all.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.16 on Windows Vista
iTG




Going by the cover it does not look as if Emma will be there. Maybe she decided that fighting Hulk once was enough. \:\)

Could also be her guest appearance quota for that month is full already.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.5.6 on Windows Vista
Nitz the Bloody




http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainSue

I'd rather the beatings be delivered by Ares, who's at least a good character that more than one writer will willingly touch.


Posted with Apple Safari 4.0.4 on MacOS X
Evil G:DR




But the Red Hulk's totally being turned into some kind of antihero. Or at least into someone who's got his own book. And we're going to get more writers using him thanks to Fall of the Hulks/World War Hulks.

And dear God, someone needs to put down Frost already, and Rulk would have more fun doing it than Ares would, as awesome as he may be.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Somebody


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 1,766






Somebody
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends." Gandalf, LotR.
Stuff worth looking at
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.16 on Windows XP
Evil G:DR




And it's impossible to arguing with that being the definition of what Frost has become.

But anyways, that place has links to Doom fan-fiction! And no, not Doctor Doom, the other Doom. It's awesome: http://www.peterchimaera.com/doom.html


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Nitz the Bloody




I'm not opposed to a villain protagonist, just that if the appeal of Rulk is that he's a big mean jerk who hits people in entertaining ways, then there are many other characters who can do that while having actual depth. The aforementioned Ares, Deadpool, Venom ( especially Mac ), Daken post-Dark Reign, and even Joe Fixit are all better Heroic Sociopaths for leading roles.

Rulk is the kind of character who would be great as a Memetic Badass, but not so much as a character you're expected to pay $4 a month to read about on an ongoing basis.


Posted with Apple Safari 4.0.4 on MacOS X
The PDR





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.5.6 on Windows Vista
Nitz the Bloody






Posted with Apple Safari 4.0.4 on MacOS X
Mr Sinister






    Quote:
    Going by the cover it does not look as if Emma will be there. Maybe she decided that fighting Hulk once was enough. \:\)


You know, you're probably right. Plus she probably didn't want to break another nail \:\-P


    Quote:
    Could also be her guest appearance quota for that month is full already.


That could also be very true.




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.16 on Windows Vista
Mr Sinister






    Quote:
    And it's impossible to arguing with that being the definition of what Frost has become.


It's true, it's true. Oh, it's damn true.




It has everything - it establishes the main character, gives us a bit of action and then has a twist ending! What more could you want?!



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.16 on Windows Vista
Mr Sinister






    Quote:
    I'm not opposed to a villain protagonist, just that if the appeal of Rulk is that he's a big mean jerk who hits people in entertaining ways, then there are many other characters who can do that while having actual depth. The aforementioned Ares, Deadpool, Venom ( especially Mac ), Daken post-Dark Reign, and even Joe Fixit are all better Heroic Sociopaths for leading roles.


The main appeal of Red Hulk's book, for me, is that it's fun. It's an utterly bonkers, silly little title that does exactly what it says on the tin. That, and Red Hulk totally pwned Stabby-Force by telling them that their modus operandi was a sure-fire way to get mutant hatred ramped up to insane levels if it was ever discovered.

Yes, it could work equally as well with any of the characters you mentioned - I thought Loeb did some good work with Fixit, in the brief time he wrote him - but as long as the title serves up insanity like a legion of Wendigoes attacking Las Vegas and turning the Green Hulk into a Wendihulk (and still gives us Audrey Loeb's Red/Green/Blue Hulk chuckle-worthy back-up strips), I'll happily slap down my money each & every month, guaranteed.


    Quote:
    Rulk is the kind of character who would be great as a Memetic Badass, but not so much as a character you're expected to pay $4 a month to read about on an ongoing basis.


He beat up the Watcher. That's reason enough for me to consider him awesome \:\)



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.16 on Windows Vista
Evil G:DR




As I've said before, the Marvel Universe has become full of "heroes" who aren't, and truly deserve to be beaten down, and lo, there did come a Red Hulk to bring those beatdowns to all who need them.

This title is a regular fix of Lobe writing something crazy-insane-awesome, without any of the gore or shockingly distasteful things that got into his Ultimate books, and sometimes it's even good in the normal sense of the word. I genuinely liked the last issue, and Fall of the Hulks: Gamma as proper good comics, not just crazy ones.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Mr Sinister






    Quote:
    As I've said before, the Marvel Universe has become full of "heroes" who aren't, and truly deserve to be beaten down, and lo, there did come a Red Hulk to bring those beatdowns to all who need them.


And the angels did say "Hail to Rulk, for he is your messiah. Praise him, and be saved."


    Quote:
    This title is a regular fix of Lobe writing something crazy-insane-awesome, without any of the gore or shockingly distasteful things that got into his Ultimate books, and sometimes it's even good in the normal sense of the word. I genuinely liked the last issue, and Fall of the Hulks: Gamma as proper good comics, not just crazy ones.


As mad as it gets, Rulk's book is actually a fantastic example of what comics should be - fun. It's totally insane on an almost Golden Age level (some of the stories from back then have to be seen to be believed - one story apparently featured a monster made out of paint, which was then defeated by getting (what else?) paint thinner thrown at it). Admittedly it hasn't had Red She-Hulk wandering around with a lead box on her head because she's afraid that Rulk might see her shame, but I'm sure it'll get there.

It'll get there.



Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.16 on Windows Vista
Nitz the Bloody





    Quote:
    This title is a regular fix of Lobe writing something crazy-insane-awesome, without any of the gore or shockingly distasteful things that got into his Ultimate books, and sometimes it's even good in the normal sense of the word. I genuinely liked the last issue, and Fall of the Hulks: Gamma as proper good comics, not just crazy ones.


I'll give you that. Rulk is silly, but it's silly fisticuffs between extremely muscular men, which is one of the most jugular appeals of superhero comics. It's not the takes-itself-way-too-seriously gorn of Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, which quickly moved from So Bad It's Good to So Bad It's Horrible. So I can understand why it would be worth following.

My problem with Rulk is that his stories are the kind that could be done better with a character who had actual depth. Deadpool is just as crazy-insane-awesome as Rulk, except he's just as often portrayed as an irritating loon as he is as a unstoppable killing machine, and from time to time he gets moments of genuinely serious characterization. Joe Fixit had a similar " Jerk Who Beats Up/Demoralizes Heroes " appeal, but had an interesting amorality instead of a drawn out mysterious agenda. NextWave, at least while it lasted, was more honest about just being crazy-insane-awesome. And the Punisher in recent years ( at least outside the MAX stories ) has been intentionally unleaded ridiculousness, with issues like the Stilt Man's Funeral coming to mind.

I'm not opposed to Rulk being crazy-insane-awesome, I just know there are better sources. ( Especially if you cross the Pacific Ocean, at least from where I'm standing; the anime Teppen Toppa Gurren Lagann is of a CIA level that nothing anywhere ever can match ).


Posted with Apple Safari 4.0.4 on MacOS X
iTG





    Quote:
    This title is a regular fix of Lobe writing something crazy-insane-awesome, without any of the gore or shockingly distasteful things that got into his Ultimate books, and sometimes it's even good in the normal sense of the word. I genuinely liked the last issue, and Fall of the Hulks: Gamma as proper good comics, not just crazy ones.


Have you read the later issues? Seems Loeb is trying to write Rulk as an actual character now, instead of just a gimmick that goes around smacking everyone down.

Did not really make for an improvement, IMO.





Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.5.6 on Windows Vista
Mr Sinister






    Quote:

      Quote:
      This title is a regular fix of Lobe writing something crazy-insane-awesome, without any of the gore or shockingly distasteful things that got into his Ultimate books, and sometimes it's even good in the normal sense of the word. I genuinely liked the last issue, and Fall of the Hulks: Gamma as proper good comics, not just crazy ones.



    Quote:
    Have you read the later issues? Seems Loeb is trying to write Rulk as an actual character now, instead of just a gimmick that goes around smacking everyone down.


I remember him smashing his way through a train in the last or last-but-one issue (in pursuit of Red She-Hulk, I think) and then saying "Don't be afraid, I'll be gone in a second" or something similar to all the people he'd just (apparently unintentionally) scared the crap out of.


    Quote:
    Did not really make for an improvement, IMO.


Eh, as long as he gets to beat things up and look awesome while doing it, I'll be happy \:\)




Posted with Mozilla Firefox 3.0.16 on Windows Vista
Evil G:DR




> My problem with Rulk is that his stories are the kind that could be done better with a character who had actual depth. Deadpool is just as crazy-insane-awesome as Rulk, except he's just as often portrayed as an irritating loon as he is as a unstoppable killing machine, and from time to time he gets moments of genuinely serious characterization.

Deadpool's serious moments, and the tragi-comedy of the best work on the character, all seem to sadly be largely behind him now, in favour of "popcorn comics", and him becoming the court jester of the Marvel Universe, the only guy who can openly mock characters we're supposed to take 100% seriously, right to their faces, and completely get away with it because he's indestructible.

> Joe Fixit had a similar " Jerk Who Beats Up/Demoralizes Heroes " appeal, but had an interesting amorality instead of a drawn out mysterious agenda.

Outside of his fights with Ben Grimm and Hulk Hogan, (the former of which, he was the underdog in) I don't have clear memories of that version of Hulk fighting other heroes, at least not anywhere near as much as his green self seems to.

> NextWave, at least while it lasted, was more honest about just being crazy-insane-awesome.

Well, that's true, but NextWave is gone, and Rulk is very much here. Also, NextWave was very self-contained, we didn't get to see them take on other heroes.

> And the Punisher in recent years ( at least outside the MAX stories ) has been intentionally unleaded ridiculousness, with issues like the Stilt Man's Funeral coming to mind.

I'm going to be honest, as entertaining as some of the Punisher comics have been, I still on a fundamental level flat-out hate the "Punisher vs supervillains" set-up, and the sheer number of superhumans who've been written as ineffectual incompetants so they can be beaten, even physically overpowered, by Guy With Guns. (I'm still trying to figure out how he killed Firebrand, an armoured guy who used to fight Iron Man, by shooting him) It's telling that the first guy who wasn't written as an idiot AND was flat-out trying to kill him, got to slice him into dogfood.

Rulk differs from these guys, because while Deadpool or Punisher may mock them and make them look like idiots, Rulk can credibly take on A-list superheroes and beat them like red-headed step-children, and for 2 years, that's pretty much ALL HE DOES, coming out of nowhere like a force of nature to beat down on "heroes" who have it coming. Rulk has been like a force of karmic payback to superheroes who've been acting in unheroic ways, and that's why we want to see him smash Cyclops and Frost. And also Ronin.

Yes, I can probably find Manga that's flat-out insane-er and awesome-er, but I wouldn't have decades of connection to the characters, nor the sense of "they had it coming" that I do when someone gets Rulksmashed.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Omar Karindu


Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 4,242




    Quote:
    Outside of his fights with Ben Grimm and Hulk Hogan, (the former of which, he was the underdog in) I don't have clear memories of that version of Hulk fighting other heroes, at least not anywhere near as much as his green self seems to.


Gray Hulk fought X-Factor and, in a famed McFarlane-drawn story, Wolverine before his "Fixit" days; once he was Fixit, he fought Spider-Man within four issues, the Thing as mentioned above; Cosmic Spider-Man during the Acts of Vengeance; the Fantastic Four (during the one good comic-book story called "Countdown"); and then turned into the Merged Hulk.






- Omar Karindu
"For your information, I don't have an ego. My Facebook photo is a landscape."
Posted with Apple Safari 4.0.4 on MacOS X
1 2  >> All

Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2018 Powermad Software