Dave Galanter
December 1st 1969 - December 12th 2020
He was loved.

Black Panther >> View Post
·
Post By
AndrewMTC

In Reply To
Yaw

Subj: Re: Black Panther #25 [SPOILERS]
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 at 01:14:31 am EST
Reply Subj: Re: Black Panther #25 [SPOILERS]
Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 at 12:52:49 am EST

Previous Post

> A friend convinced me to give the Black Panther a fan based on the fact that I was a HUGE fan of the first year or so of Priest's run... and I think that was a bad way to come into it.


Why just the "first" year? Heh you sound like me. First year good. 3rd/4th= horrible.

>
> This issue however is definitly my last with the book. I think it had so much potential and the writer wasn't skilled enough to capitalize on it. Besides the fact that the Storm vs Thor cover was a big tease designed to sucker readers to buy, you had many many other issues.

Can't disagree.

>
> Storm is the one member of the X-Men team that Bishop felt closest to and bowed to and yet you saw no dialogue interaction between the two. Not to mention the double ended issue of Monica calling Bishop a sell-out because I'm sure Hudlin doesn't realize that Bishop isn't black.
>
> I think I share a lot of fans view that Hudlin has no idea who Storm is. Storm sounds more like a ghetto Tyra Banks than someone who hasn't hardly shown any bit of a lighthearted side the last 30 years.

Can't disagree.
>
> As a black reader I've genuinely gotten to the point that I'm insulted. Marvel seems to think that if they put a black writer on a book with a black character that every black comic fan will flock to it, and that it'd attract new fans. The sad reality is that it is partially true, its the same in Hollywood where you have peopel seeing black films despite knowing they'll lack quality based on the principle of black people wanting to see other black people on screen. See any Wayans film...
>

Umm I disagree with this. As far as Wayans films go, their revenue comes from white people.

> There are plenty of talented black writers, so Marvel should find one and let go of the BET tie-in pipe dream.. this book has lost me.

Well i definitely agree on finding black writers. It seems they are making those strides. I have defended Hudlin on numerous occasions on this board and I will continue to do so where it is warranted. It is not warranted here. This was not a good issue. I often find myself cringing when I read the book cuz I can only imagine the negative backlash it will get. In some cases that is not a bad thing but when it is due to things such as Storm and Sue playing ringside to the HErc/Clor fight, I just can't defend that.

I noticed this awhile back but it seemed that it might have been due to Eaton's artwork more than Hudlin's writing. The fact that at times the book seems REALLY lighthearted when it shouldn't be. I have noticed that in other book's that Eaton's drawn (e.g. Captain America disassembled). In other cases it was not as huge a deal to me. But this... Reading this gives me flashbacks of Kirby's writing. I loathe Kirby's writing. Hudlin has admitted to really loving Kirby's work. Kirby had good qualities but writing was just not one of them.

Well now that Civil War is over i will stick around what direction the book takes. IT has been lacking a true direction since the Wedding. the CW direction artificial although I think it opened up some nice future stories for the book.

> >
> > As a black reader I've genuinely gotten to the point that I'm insulted. Marvel seems to think that if they put a black writer on a book with a black character that every black comic fan will flock to it, and that it'd attract new fans. The sad reality is that it is partially true, its the same in Hollywood where you have peopel seeing black films despite knowing they'll lack quality based on the principle of black people wanting to see other black people on screen. See any Wayans film...
> >
>
> Umm I disagree with this. As far as Wayans films go, their revenue comes from white people.

Wayans movie attract all shades (unfortunately). It's things like the Tyler Perry/Madea films that play to an overly welcoming Black audience. Not exactly as lowbrow but....not much better movies.

Check it out: Shu and I teamed up!



Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2021 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2021 by Comicboards/TVShowboards. Software Copyright © 2003-2021 Powermad Software