Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Subj: Not sure that makes sensePosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 at 06:01:33 pm EST (Viewed 94 times)
Reply Subj: Re: Death of Superman, how would Captain Marvel have fared....
Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 at 04:27:43 pm EST (Viewed 141 times)
Quote:Based on the comments in the battle of the week and the 'size of fight in the dog' discussion, I thought this would be an interesting topic.
In general, I think Captain Marvel (Billy) would have performed almost exactly like Superman did in the fight with Death of Superman, up to the very end, where he would have been unconscious, and Doomsday would still be alive, but in bad enough shape that almost any relatively powerful guy could finish him.
It goes to the 'size of the fight in the dog', as this was Superman's ultimate Rocky Balboa moment, and I don't think Billy has the level of mental toughness Superman does....I think he could have fought about as well, but at the end of the day, Supes willpower had DD dead and left him dying.
Oddly enough, going down easier might mean that Marvel would have survived...
I more or less agree. I doubt Billy would have lasted as long against Doomsday as Superman did, or put him down in the end, since he's no more inclined to kill than Clark is. And that was Superman's moment to shine, arguably the point at which the post-Crisis Superman first began to nudge out ahead of the other DC top-tiers in a high profile way. I'm doubtful that Dan Jurgens in particular would've given Billy equal credit (it's possible Jerry Ordway would have if it were solely his decision, but there's no way to be sure).
It's also worth noting that according to the novelisation of DOS, Superman's power level actually rose in the final moments of the battle. The narration indicates that he basically did what Iron Man has done on occasion, and channeled more of his power reserves to his strength and EP output than he would normally. That'd help explain why Superman's attacks were suddenly so much more effective than they had been prior to that. I don't know whether the novelisation is official canon or not, but it makes sense, and it was written by Roger Stern, one of the four authors who co-wrote the comic version.
If we accept that that's what actually happened, then Billy probably couldn't have matched the power level Superman was operating at at the end there, especially not after such a long and wearying battle. Still, I think Billy could have fared about as well as Superman did in the early stages.
I always thought Superman and Doomsday got less powerful, due to the strain.
I remember Superman making a comment that when he came back, it was as his power levels had diminished due to the fighting and beating he sustained.
In theory Billy has magical stamina, he's not dependent on solar energies.
Posted with Google Chrome 63.0.3239.132 on Windows 10
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2017 by Alvaro Ortiz and Dave Galanter. Software Copyright © 2003-2017 Powermad Software
- Death of Superman, how would Captain Marvel have fared.... · Braugi · Mon Jan 29, 2018 at 10:11:29 am EST
- Re: Death of Superman, how would Captain Marvel have fared.... · JesusFan · Thu Feb 08, 2018 at 02:05:08 pm EST
- Re: Death of Superman, how would Captain Marvel have fared.... · motifian · Wed Jan 31, 2018 at 11:27:42 pm EST
- Do we know... · Thurisaz · Tue Jan 30, 2018 at 08:41:52 pm EST
- Re: Death of Superman, how would Captain Marvel have fared.... · HammerTime · Tue Jan 30, 2018 at 06:40:51 pm EST
- Wisdom of Solomon would mean different tactics · Zeeder · Tue Jan 30, 2018 at 04:01:17 pm EST
- Re: Death of Superman, how would Captain Marvel have fared.... · bd2999 · Tue Jan 30, 2018 at 09:37:19 am EST
- I think Billy will die without stopping Doomsday. (no text) · bouken red · Tue Jan 30, 2018 at 08:31:29 am EST
- Re: Death of Superman, how would Captain Marvel have fared.... · RodimusPrime · Mon Jan 29, 2018 at 07:15:10 pm EST
- Re: Death of Superman, how would Captain Marvel have fared.... · The Shuruku Demon · Mon Jan 29, 2018 at 04:27:43 pm EST
- Re: Death of Superman, how would Captain Marvel have fared.... · makkari1 · Mon Jan 29, 2018 at 01:10:25 pm EST
- Re: Death of Superman, how would Captain Marvel have fared.... · Knight · Mon Jan 29, 2018 at 12:56:15 pm EST
- Black Adam instead. · Rehzon · Mon Jan 29, 2018 at 10:43:53 am EST