|Comic Battle >> View Post|
Subj: Re: What IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes say
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 at 07:11:30 pm EST (Viewed 245 times)
Reply Subj: Re: What IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes say
Posted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 at 05:41:20 pm EST (Viewed 279 times)
Your list is soooooooooooo different from mine. It is indeed a subjective thing.
Quote:Let's look at general reception then. Out of curiosity, I tried to get a measure of how all 22 of these movies were received by general consensus, both by moviegoers and critics, so I pulled the IMDB rating (1st number), the Rotten Tomatoes Tomatometer (2nd number), and the Rotten Tomatoes average rating (3rd number). The Tomatometer simply looks at the percentage of critics who liked the movie but that doesn't capture how passionately they liked or disliked the movie, which the average rating does. Finally, I calculated a fourth number, the average between IMDB rating and the average between the Tomatometer and average rating so as critics aren't more heavily weighted. So the fourth number provides a consensus reached between audiences and critics. Here is how the MCU and DCEU movies compare:
It is an interesting exercise, but ultimately not representing my personal taste and perception.
Quote:1. The Avengers (81, 92, 80, 83.50)
2. Guardians of the Galaxy (81, 91, 77, 82.50)
3. Iron Man (79, 94, 77, 82.25)
4. Thor: Ragnarok (80, 92, 75, 81.75)
5. Captain America: Civil War (78, 91, 77, 81.00)
6. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (78, 89, 76, 80.25)
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming (75, 92, 77, 79.75)
8. Wonder Woman (75, 92, 76, 79.50)
9. Doctor Strange (75, 90, 73, 78.25)
10. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (77, 82, 72, 77.00)
11. Ant-Man (73, 82, 68, 74.00)
12. Iron Man Three (72, 80, 70, 73.50)
13. Avengers: Age of Ultron (74, 75, 67, 72.50)
14. Captain America: The First Avenger (69, 80, 70, 72.00)
15. Thor (70, 77, 67, 71.00)
16. Iron Man 2 (70, 73, 65, 69.50)
17. Thor: The Dark World (70, 66, 62, 67.00)
18. The Incredible Hulk (68, 67, 62, 66.25)
19. Man of Steel (71, 55, 62, 64.75)
20. Justice League (69, 40, 53, 57.75)
21. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (66, 27, 49, 52.00)
22. Suicide Squad (61, 26, 48, 49.00)
Quote:Even surprising to me, 4 of the 5 DCEU movies rank at the very bottom with only WONDER WOMAN scoring high. At the moment, BLACK PANTHER has the highest Rotten Tomatoes rating in both Tomatometer and average rating of any movie on this list.
The 3 last movie from this list are the same I had on mine. For me, Guardians of the Galaxy was better and more enjoyable than Avengers, but both were at the top of the list. Vol 2 was definitely not as good even if very enjoyable. Same for Age of Ultron that I personally never felt the desire to watch again unlike most on the rest of the list.
I personally prefer the first Thor to the last one they did (was not a fan of the humorous tone they went for as it killed a lot of tension for me). The dark world was just bad to me and has no place even above man of steel (not joking).
Wonder woman is better than the first Captain america for me, but not better than winter soldier. I enjoyed WW more than any of the Thor movie. However, I consider the first Thor movie a tad superior because of the character development in the movie. Especially Loki.
The first Iron man was great and belong somewhere close to the top of the list. Iron man 2 and 3, however, were very forgettable and I rate them below man of steel both for enjoyment and quality.
The incredible Hulk was not bad, but definitely belong where it is on the list compared to the rest and, yes, also below MoS for how enjoyable it was, the special effects, the music, the action and the acting.
I also thought ant-man was a stronger/better movie than Dr Strange. Dr Strange is too high on this list for reasons I cant explain. I had a good time watching it, but its rated too high here IMO.
Spiderman homecoming was a good movie, but not great for me. I would place it somewhere in the middle.
I'm surprised nobody rated civil war. I personally liked civil war, but not as much as winter soldier.