Community >> View Post
·
Post By
The Black Guardian

In Reply To
Deborah

Subj: Re: Replying anyway . . . National News
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 at 02:11:13 am EST
Reply Subj: Replying anyway . . . National News
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 11:35:37 pm EST

Previous Post

Rhetorical question or not, the discussion is worthwhile, I believe.

What happened is tragic for the victim and her family and friends (as is every murder) and of course despicable and gross. But no, it is *not* worth a national news story. It is media sensationalism at its worst.

What *is* worthy of national news, you asked? News that truly effects the whole nation, or at least a much broader group of people. For example (but not limited to):

Medical advances are worth national news stories. So are some scientific advances.

Federal and state politics are worth national news stories (state politics because they *can* portend national trends).

Religious news is worth being a national story, as millions of people can be effected.

Economic news, jobs, inflation, interest rates, how the Federal Reserve actually works.

The state of schools and the overall education system is newsworthy.

Infrastructure news such as the state of the military, and the state of the power grid, and roads and rails and air transportation. Does that make for glamorous or sexy stories? No. Is it legit news because of the effect it has on people's lives. Without a doubt.

A cannibal in Texas is titilation "value" and nothing else.

Some crime stories *are* worth national coverage. The state of the U.S. justice system, for example, and how overburdened it is. The state of prisons. Gang violence that effects hundreds if not thousands of people.

Many *many* international stories (again, including but not limited to all of the above) that get ignored should get (U.S.) national coverage. The economy in China, Japan, or the EU. Because they all effect the U.S. economy. The scientific advances that happen overseas can also effect the U.S. Ditto political elections overseas.

Ok, diatribe over. \:\) And I cut it short. That's my abbreviated response to what IS actually worthy of being a global news story.


> Rhetorical question or not, the discussion is worthwhile, I believe.
>
> What happened is tragic for the victim and her family and friends (as
> is every murder) and of course despicable and gross. But no, it is
> *not* worth a national news story. It is media sensationalism at its
> worst.
>
> What *is* worthy of national news, you asked? News that truly
> effects the whole nation, or at least a much broader group of people.
> For example (but not limited to):
>
> Medical advances are worth national news stories. So are some
> scientific advances.

And we get enough of that.

> Federal and state politics are worth national news stories (state
> politics because they *can* portend national trends).

And with the current primaries, we get more than enough of that. In fact, there was a report about a week that people felt they were getting burnt out on it.

> Religious news is worth being a national story, as millions of people
> can be effected.

Not really... but if there's something religious that's worthy to report, we get it.

> Economic news, jobs, inflation, interest rates, how the Federal
> Reserve actually works.

Egads, we get too much of that as it is.

> The state of schools and the overall education system is newsworthy.

Enough of that too.

> Infrastructure news such as the state of the military, and the state
> of the power grid, and roads and rails and air transportation. Does
> that make for glamorous or sexy stories? No. Is it legit news
> because of the effect it has on people's lives. Without a doubt.

We get all of that. Frankly, these days there's virtually no limit on the news we get.

> A cannibal in Texas is titilation "value" and nothing else.
>
> Some crime stories *are* worth national coverage. The state of the
> U.S. justice system, for example, and how overburdened it is. The
> state of prisons. Gang violence that effects hundreds if not
> thousands of people.

Sorry, I'm a firm believer that all serious crimes are worth national coverage.
____________________






Posted with Netscape Navigator 8.1.3 on Windows XP
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2022 by Comicboards/TVShowboards. Software Copyright © 2003-2022 Powermad Software