Community >> View Post
·
Post By
omike015

In Reply To
Deborah

Subj: Re: Replying anyway . . . National News
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 at 11:49:43 am CST
Reply Subj: Replying anyway . . . National News
Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 at 10:35:37 pm CST

Previous Post

Rhetorical question or not, the discussion is worthwhile, I believe.

What happened is tragic for the victim and her family and friends (as is every murder) and of course despicable and gross. But no, it is *not* worth a national news story. It is media sensationalism at its worst.

What *is* worthy of national news, you asked? News that truly effects the whole nation, or at least a much broader group of people. For example (but not limited to):

Medical advances are worth national news stories. So are some scientific advances.

Federal and state politics are worth national news stories (state politics because they *can* portend national trends).

Religious news is worth being a national story, as millions of people can be effected.

Economic news, jobs, inflation, interest rates, how the Federal Reserve actually works.

The state of schools and the overall education system is newsworthy.

Infrastructure news such as the state of the military, and the state of the power grid, and roads and rails and air transportation. Does that make for glamorous or sexy stories? No. Is it legit news because of the effect it has on people's lives. Without a doubt.

A cannibal in Texas is titilation "value" and nothing else.

Some crime stories *are* worth national coverage. The state of the U.S. justice system, for example, and how overburdened it is. The state of prisons. Gang violence that effects hundreds if not thousands of people.

Many *many* international stories (again, including but not limited to all of the above) that get ignored should get (U.S.) national coverage. The economy in China, Japan, or the EU. Because they all effect the U.S. economy. The scientific advances that happen overseas can also effect the U.S. Ditto political elections overseas.

Ok, diatribe over. \:\) And I cut it short. That's my abbreviated response to what IS actually worthy of being a global news story.


> Rhetorical question or not, the discussion is worthwhile, I believe.
>
> What happened is tragic for the victim and her family and friends (as is every murder) and of course despicable and gross. But no, it is *not* worth a national news story. It is media sensationalism at its worst.
>
> What *is* worthy of national news, you asked? News that truly effects the whole nation, or at least a much broader group of people. For example (but not limited to):
>
> Medical advances are worth national news stories. So are some scientific advances.
>
> Federal and state politics are worth national news stories (state politics because they *can* portend national trends).
>
> Religious news is worth being a national story, as millions of people can be effected.
>
> Economic news, jobs, inflation, interest rates, how the Federal Reserve actually works.
>
> The state of schools and the overall education system is newsworthy.
>
> Infrastructure news such as the state of the military, and the state of the power grid, and roads and rails and air transportation. Does that make for glamorous or sexy stories? No. Is it legit news because of the effect it has on people's lives. Without a doubt.
>
> A cannibal in Texas is titilation "value" and nothing else.
>
> Some crime stories *are* worth national coverage. The state of the U.S. justice system, for example, and how overburdened it is. The state of prisons. Gang violence that effects hundreds if not thousands of people.
>
> Many *many* international stories (again, including but not limited to all of the above) that get ignored should get (U.S.) national coverage. The economy in China, Japan, or the EU. Because they all effect the U.S. economy. The scientific advances that happen overseas can also effect the U.S. Ditto political elections overseas.
>
> Ok, diatribe over. \:\) And I cut it short. That's my abbreviated response to what IS actually worthy of being a global news story.

First, Deborah, I'm sorry if you were offended by the story I posted.

But getting to the meat of the matter, I disagree. Crimes -- in this case multiple homicides -- are indeed newsworthy. The extent to which some stories are covered toes (and in many cases, crosses) the line of gratuitous exploitation. But with this particular instance, I don't see that being the case.

I will agree with your assertion that the news media does not cover many things they should, instead choosing to focus on sensationalistic "hot air," but I don't feel appropriate coverage of murder falls into that category.

omike015
:-|




kandor.monkeylord.net (10.0.1.245)
using Fortress Kryptonian Browsing Matrix v1.9.38 (0.21 points)
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2022 by Comicboards/TVShowboards. Software Copyright © 2003-2022 Powermad Software