Community >> View Post
·
Post By
Deborah 
Manager

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 769
In Reply To
Would be Watcher

Location: Canada
Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Subj: Re: Actually...
Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 04:44:11 pm EDT (Viewed 737 times)
Reply Subj: Actually...
Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 at 04:36:16 pm EDT (Viewed 800 times)

Previous Post


> > > My definition of spirit is wholly un-supernatural. I consider the
> > > spirit to be the chemical processes that allow our brains to
> > > function, and nothing else. So, I'm probably one of those
> > > "impossible people," as well.
> >
> > My definition of spiritual got nothing to do with anything
> > supernatural. It's simply the part of you that invest it's fate in
> > something. ANYTHING. It's impossible not to do this because the only
> > way you could avoid doing it would be to be omniscient. I think it's
> > a rather safe beleif of mine to assume we all have unanswered
> > question/variables in our life. I must go now but I'll be back...
>
> I invest my faith in nothing. In fact, I have no faith in anything. I believe what can be proven, which is the opposite of faith. Sure, there will always be unanswered questions, but I don't invest any faith in suspected answers.

You do invest your faith IN nothing. Thats something not nothing. A huge difference. You make the choice to beleive in what YOU accept as a proof and doing so is your personal way of defining your spiritual experience. I also object to the notion you don't invest faith in suspected answers. You simply might not realize you do it at every moment but you do it nonetheless. When you watch you pocket watch and assume it is 10 AM because what you see on your what indicate that you accept to trust humanity way of measuring time, the watch exactitude, your eyes and the way your brain treat the info. Thats a lot of intermediaries and If but you choose to trust it all no question. The examples are endless. Probably unconsciously but you still do. Also, I'm curious, what exist that is an unchallengeable proof to you?


:D Sorry, but I gotta disagree with you there. First, as a rule, I disagree with anyone who tries to tell someone else what/how that other person thinks. \:\-P Everything to you might revolve around faith, and that is fine, but not everyone works that way.

Second, and more to the topic, I disagree with the line you are trying to blurr between faith and fact. Faith by definition is believing in the unseen and/or the unprovable.

In everyday life, there are plenty of things that *are* facts. Such as what time it is. If someone's watch is wrong doesn't change the fact that it is still a specific time. Owning a house is a fact. Having a job is a fact. Sipping a glass of water is a fact.

Furthermore, science deals with trying to learn and verify facts. That doesn't mean questions and theories do not exist or that science has the answers to everything, but taking something on faith, or presenting guesses or theories as fact isn't part of science.


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2022 by Comicboards/TVShowboards. Software Copyright © 2003-2022 Powermad Software