Community >> View Post
·
Post By
Dark Marvel

Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Posts: 5,955
In Reply To
mjyoung

Subj: Here is a question I always think about...and my personal opinion on things...
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 at 09:04:34 pm EDT (Viewed 765 times)
Reply Subj: basically true
Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 at 08:50:45 pm EDT (Viewed 791 times)


> > > Mccain was forced down their throats by left leaning rep. and the fact that the GOP. allow anyone to vote in their primary.
>
> I'm not registered, but I voted for McCain in the primary, since my state is open. Suprisingly, alot of democratic primaries are closed. I'm strongly in favor of open primaries.
>
> > > Not sure if you heard about it earlier this yr. but there was a huge stink about the dems trying to sabatoge the GOP primary by having there people vote in it for MCcain.
>
> I don't think that was ever true. It was thought that some republicans voted for Hilary in open primaries, and that some democrats voted for Huckabee. Simply because they wanted to go against them in the primary.
> >
> > ***I've always heard that no other republican other then McCain had a chance against Obama or Hilary, that McCain was the one that can reach across the aisle and bring in people outside the party like Liberman and such.
>
> Giuliani was always the early favorite to win the nomination, and was considered to have the best chance to win. But he had an awful campaign strategy, which forced him out early.
>
> The problem with the republican primary candidates is that they didn't have one solid candidate that would appeal to appeal to the entire party. Romney, Huckabee, Thompson, Giuliani, even Paul all appealed to different and divisive groups. For instance, Thompson got the hard core conservatives, Paul got the libertarians, Hucakbee got the religious right, etc.
>
> The only group that McCain appealed to were the moderates/liberal conservatives. Generally, candidates start off solidly in their parties, and shift to the middle. Obama was ultra left, but upon the nomination, started moving to the middle. McCain on the other hand, started off in the middle, then upon nomination, started moving to the right.
>
> The worst thing that could have happened to McCain was for Obama to win the nomination. Simply because both ideally are going to aim for the moderate voters. McCain would have preferred any other major democrat, like Clinton and Edwards. In the same way, Obama would have preferred any other other republican outside of McCain.
>
> It would be hard for any republican to win this year, simply because of the last 8 years. It's pretty hard for either party to control the presidency for 12 years, especially when the VP doesn't run for that third term.
>
> But the original thought here was pretty accurate, McCain didn't have alot of support in the republican base. I'd expect republican turnout to be low this year.


***If Obama had chosen Hillary for some reason I still do not think he would have just strolled into the White House but my question is...If Obama had chosen Hillary...would McCain have chosen Palin, and if you say no...who do you think he would have chosen?




Photobucket
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.16 on Windows XP
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2022 by Comicboards/TVShowboards. Software Copyright © 2003-2022 Powermad Software