Eddie Thawne shot and killed himself in order to save Barry Allen from being killed by Reverse Flash. That essentially erased Eobard Thawne from existence.
Realistically, that should have reset the entire timeline. So then we'd have the following:
1. Since Reverse Flash doesn't exist anymore, the real Harrison Wells was never killed by Eobard Thawne, so he should still be alive. THat also means S.T.A.R. Labs is still years away from becoming a success (which is true because this was talked about in season 1). That also means, Barry Allen wouldn't be the Flash (not yet anyway).
2. Nora Allen is still alive and Henry Allen never goes to prison.
3. Barry Allen "possibly" never becomes a Forensic Scientist for the Police Department.
4. Barry Allen never moves in with Joe West.
5. Barry Allen still becomes the Flash but not for another 5 or 6 years (as revealed in dialogue from the first season).
6. Dr. Wells fired Pied Piper (can't remember his real name) because he had moral issues with the particle accelerator. So in a reset timeline, Pied Piper could still be working at S.T.A.R. Labs.
7. Ronnie would be married to Caitlin Snow since he didn't become Firestorm (but most likely would later on down the road in a reset timeline).
The list goes on, but I can't think of anything more. So, realistically, what happened in the season 1 finale should have reset the entire timeline. Season 2 SHOULD have realistically opened with at least a five year time jump where the above list applies. And then we'd have to go through Barry Allen's journey to becoming Flash again...
But instead, the writers chose to keep the original timeline when anyone giving this serious thought, it doesn't make sense. I was worried the writers were going to make a mess of things by introducing the multiverse if not done right. But I was wrong...they already have made a mess of things.
And it's looking like the writers don't even care. They keep this up, the Flash will be cancelled before or during season 3. It's already too confusing and pretty messy.
But as Iron Man Unit and have both speculated, maybe Rip Hunter comes along and stops Eddie from killing himself, thus bringing back the Reverse Flash back into existing again.
WHo knows. I just hope the writers are aware of this mess on their hands and fix it before the show is cancelled.
The problem here is that Eddie looked to be gravely wouned, not yet dead, when he got sucked into Vortex, so why could he not have become Zoom, as he is a relative to someone who accesses Speed force, correct?
And you would be correct, IF eddie did really die, and evil wells never existed, then we would have the Flash rebooted to Him and his wife now founding Star labs, and barry becoming flash in future still...
Wonder what that final crisis event is to be, the one where flash disappears in the future then?
Did that get averted, or is it still yet to come?