Some people have been commenting how Barry was able to catch and contain RF in Season 2 on his own vs. all the troubles he had in Season 1.
So let's take a look at things:
1. Season 2 RF: he just arrived from time warp, a bit confused at first, but he gets his bearings and starts to realize this is the era where Barry comes from.
2. RF gains knowledge of his personal future thanks to Team Flash and now he has hints of what is to come INCLUDING the fact that he will time warp again at some point to the past and lose connection to the speed force.
3. RF is a temporal anomaly in Season 2 that shouldn't exist but time and temporal mechanics are funny things.
4. In Season 1: Barry and Team Flash were dealing with an RF that had a bad connection to the speed force, but was compensating by having a power generator in his wheel chair that he was absorbing energy from.
5. RF later gets the tachyon device from Mercury Labs and uses it on his costume and himself to power boost even more, but he still had a bad connection to the speed force as it was still developing from Barry becoming the Flash.
6. RF had FIFTEEN YEARS to plan and be ready.
7. Once Barry became the Flash, the Speed Force is reborn but it is still nascent and RF cant tap into it like he could in his own time. This is why he needed Barry to get up to speed and develop his powers but also why RF needed the time machine and the wormhole, his own power levels were insufficient to the task. This is also why Season 2 RF needed Barry to work with him to again open the portal and send him back into the time stream.
8. Season 2 RF: he has access to the speed force BUT he is not juicing himself with energy batteries in wheel chairs and he is not juicing up on tachyon particles. Barry however is more experienced now in his powers, he's getting faster and Barry is determined to get some serious revenge on RF. Revenge is a great motivator.
I need some help. My wife and I are discussing the RF costume and his speed. I think he needs to have the cowl over his head and his eyes glowing red to activate his super speed. Each time you see him in the costume he does not utilize his super speed until the cowl is over his head & eyes are glowing red. Isn't that correct?
Additionally, in the comic book didn't Thawne replicate the same chemical bath & coat his costume with it i.e. he must have the costume on to access his speed?