The Flash must be faster than Zoom! At least, that is how the episode starts because Barry cannot be happy with the fact that he has already won. Zoom cannot come to Earth-Prime (as far as we know at this point anyway). But Fake Jay was considered a friend and Barry cannot leave behind a friend, or a world, at the hands of Zoom. The Man Behind the Iron Mask is also someone who needs rescued and Barry cannot forget that promise to him. And so, we have a motivated Barry wanting to get faster, but he fails and ends up taking time off at a club with his friends.
Enter Trajectory, a woman speedster from the comics (and very badly miscast). A woman who makes the Flashâ€™s life difficult because she leaves behind a red streak trailed by lightning much like the Flash does. The news media jumps all over it like sharks starving for a meal, much to Irisâ€™s reluctance and failed attempt to defend the Flash. The first time Trajectory strikes, the Flash fails to stop her and Round 2 doesnâ€™t go much better.
Is the Flash so desperate to take a dangerous drug in order to get faster? He is tempted because he takes V-9, but thankfully he does not inject it into him because Harry, of all people, talks him out of it. Even though everyone else seems to be cheating, Barry cannot cheat himself but rather must get faster on his own. Itâ€™s a hard choice but itâ€™s the right one.
An unexpected, but some nice character development, scene happens with Iris talks to her boss and accidentally gets told a cautionary tale about heroes not appearing as they are. Both sides of the argument are valid, but I am leaning towards Irisâ€™s side because the Flash IS a hero. He is a hero who happens to weight of the world on his shoulders a little too much, but that is hardly surprising.
The Flash ends the threat that Trajectory poses and tries to talk her out of taking another dose of Velocity 9. He nearly succeeds since Trajectory hesitates, a part of her wants to give this up otherwise there would have been no hesitation. Sadly, Trajectory is addicted to V-9 and she takes the drug and ends up dying from it. And then Team Flash learns more about Zoom and Flash screams in rage.
A good episode but not among best. I give this one a 7 out of 10 stars.
1. An overprotective Dad gives Jesse a metahuman detector watch, but accidentally gives her access to one of his diary entries where he says he killed a man. Oops.
2. Bad Flash? Yes, Cisco, your losing your touch.
3. Looks like Trajectory is a bit insane, but at least we get a nice scene where the veil is lifted so we know now what her motivations are. Pretty cliche if you ask me.
4. MACH 3.3 baby! So, if Mach 2 IS needed to enter the Speed Force, then there is no way Barry would have been able to achieve this level of speed because he would entered the Speed Force. This only adds to my theory that Barry achieves Lightspeed (briefly), in order to enter the Speed Force. However, Barry can only achieve lightspeed in a very brief burst and cannot maintain it (otherwise, the Flash would be a million times faster than Zoom). This is very similar to Doc Brownâ€™s DeLorean going 88 MPH then achieving time travel. But notice those burning tire streaks? That strongly suggests a sudden, very fast, acceleration to lightspeed before time traveling into the past or future. Same concept here with the Flash.
5. Wow, Zoom is dying. I did not expect that. I wonder if thatâ€™s why he has that suit it on, is it some kind of protection or something? A way to hold him together until he gets a cure?
6. Correction, Cisco, Zoom is Hunter Zolomon. The Jay YOU knew was a clone or some kind of imperfect copy. Either way, no one (not even us, the fans) knows the full truth about Zoom just yet. My theory still stands about the characters until more revelations come our way.
1. Trajectory runs and disintegrates, leaving behind her costume. A nice nod to the Flash in the story Crisis on Infinity Earths.
2. Opal City!
1. Trajectory is supposed to be black NOT white! I am absolutely confounded by the showrunners as to WHY they do THIS kind of ethnic switch on a black a character.
2. Friction at superspeed can cause a bridge to collapse?! Thatâ€™s a load a bull!
3. There goes all hope that Jesse is an adopted daughter since Harry and her share the same blood type. Iâ€™m glad she left...hopefully weâ€™ll never see her again since she offered nothing to Team Flash.