Member Since: Sat May 17, 2008
Subj: Re: What Was The Problem With The Paul Jenkins Run, Or The Professor?Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 at 10:23:00 pm EDT (Viewed 239 times)
Reply Subj: Re: What Was The Problem With The Paul Jenkins Run, Or The Professor?
Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 at 09:59:58 pm EDT (Viewed 271 times)
I completely agree with you that Jenkins Professor Personality and The Merged Hulk from PAD were not the same character at all. The Professor was left handed and The Merged Hulk was clearly right handed if readers looked carefully. The Merged Hulk was Banner. I had a hard time believing Banner was locked in a cave all that time. I considered the Professor Recton as nothing but an outright insult to readers as well as PAD's work. I totally understood why PAD was upset. I was upset also because I enjoyed most of the Merged Hulk run alot and wish PAD had not messed it up with The Savage Banner even though I did enjoy The Merged Hulk Banner being with Betty before PAD ruined it with that Ghosts of The Future story. I almost wish he would have never did away with The Merged Hulk and even if most people disagree I still think The Merged Hulk would sure be alot better then what we have now with a dead Banner and a phony Chulk. There were just too many different Hulks. I think an argument could have been made to say That Professor Character came out of the cave just like The Devil Hulk and those other Hulks did. The Professor and Doc Green were so similar they could have just been the same character pretty much even though Doc Green and Banner had the struggle that was missing with the Professor. Other problems with Jenkins run was he never followed up on most of the stuff he started. The Devil Hulk started out interesting but then Jenkins letting 18 months go by and then The Devil Hulk coming back much weaker and looking like Jar Jar Brinks pretty much ruined that story for me. Also the fact that issues were put out late so much also frustrated readers. I will say Ron Garney did great art and made the early part of that run good but after Garney left...... well no comment. I think PAD's Tempest Fugit story helped recton that poor run from Jenkins as well as Jones Run. That might be why we never saw the Devil Hulk again or The Professor except for that brief cameo in Waids run if that was even him. I think there was another brief cameo from Devil Hulk afterward but I can't remember where exactly. I know he was in a video game. The one good thing that came from Jenkins Run was The Order and it was so shocking and sad that Jones Run came afterward.
I agree with just about everything you said. Merged Hulk was not one of my favorite Banner incarnations, but his stories were fun. There was so much more to him than the Jenkins made "Professor". The fact that Merged Hulk showed instability at times is proof.
He's... A Man-like MONSTER... an INCREDIBLE force! He's... ASTONISHING! That's why you don't comprehend him; and because of his...RAMPAGING, the Hater will not tolerate him SAVAGE, INDESTRUCTIBLE, nor him being IMMORTAL!!!
Watch out for that Gamma-Ray Burst --- The WORLD BREAKER!!!
"There is no way to measure his strength! There is nothing he cannot do!" - Tales To Astonish #073
"There is science... but there is also magic… and gamma is a little of both.” - Immortal Hulk #013
Faithful Member of The Church of Hulk
Gamma Ra the Assassin aka Lord Smash`emall the Keeper of Secrets
Posted with Google Chrome 46.0.2490.76 on Linux
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2018 by Alvaro Ortiz and Dave Galanter. Software Copyright © 2003-2018 Powermad Software
- What Was The Problem With The Paul Jenkins Run, Or The Professor? · Comicguy1 · Fri Jul 28, 2017 at 07:45:12 pm EDT
- Simply put? Jenkins didn't get the concept of a "Merged Hulk". · Nivek · Sat Aug 05, 2017 at 04:01:17 pm EDT
- Re: What Was The Problem With The Paul Jenkins Run, Or The Professor? · Quantum · Fri Aug 04, 2017 at 01:19:18 am EDT
- Issue 25 [Spoilers] · Butthead1 · Mon Jul 31, 2017 at 10:55:16 pm EDT
- Re: What Was The Problem With The Paul Jenkins Run, Or The Professor? · Gamma Ra · Mon Jul 31, 2017 at 02:48:36 pm EDT
- Re: What Was The Problem With The Paul Jenkins Run, Or The Professor? · Charlie · Sun Jul 30, 2017 at 09:58:24 pm EDT
- Re: What Was The Problem With The Paul Jenkins Run, Or The Professor? · Bob Oldman · Sat Jul 29, 2017 at 10:28:05 am EDT
- Re: What Was The Problem With The Paul Jenkins Run, Or The Professor? · Jamo · Fri Jul 28, 2017 at 11:07:54 pm EDT
- Re: What Was The Problem With The Paul Jenkins Run, Or The Professor? · TheMadderIGet · Fri Jul 28, 2017 at 10:02:29 pm EDT