Justice League of America >> View Post
·
Post By
Beowulf

In Reply To
TJ Burns

Subj: Re: The 13 [SPOILERS]
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 at 02:27:33 pm EST
Reply Subj: Re: The 13 [SPOILERS]
Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 at 08:20:27 pm EST

Previous Post

> Who are the other 12 immortals other than Ivo that he spoke of? I have no idea who the others are.
>
> > Who are the other 12 immortals other than Ivo that he spoke of? I have no idea who the others are.

My guess is that the immortals don't include those who reincarnate automatically, or have immortality through cloning, or a device. Rather, it only includes those who are immortal and unkillable through a property that they themselves have granted to them intrensically. This eliminates beings like Hawkman, Swamp Thing, the Green Lantern Adam, Ras Al Ghul (whose Lazarus-inspired immortality doesn't count since it requires continues use of the Pit), and a few others. For purposes of winnowing the list further, I'm also going to cut out mystical beings like Uncle Sam, who are not human.

As such, we're left with knowing about the following potentials:

Professor Ivo (confirmed)

The Phantom Stranger's comments seem to imply that Red Tornado was one, since his body continually repairs.

Vandal Savage (almost certainly)

Resurrection Man (whose own series named him as taking the Immortal Man's place, which goes well with the concept that Meltzer is showing us.)

Deathstroke, who is immortal from a US Government created serum.

The Ravager, who, according to Johns, has been treated with the same serum.

Damien Darkh, who was also exposed to the same serum via blood transfusion.

Metamorpho (who can't die without Ra specifically removing his power, just like with Element Girl. It's generally immortal by the same idea that Ivo is, so...)

The Forever Man, from Warlord #79 fits all the criteria we've set, but may not count, since he's not on the Earthly plane anymore. He became immortal on Earth though, so maybe he does count.

Miss America (who Freedom Fighters recently revealed doesn't age and never had. She still may not be immortal though, so she's a maybe.)

Davy Tenzer, an immortal boy who met Green Arrow and Black Canary in ACTION #450-452.

General Immortus, who finally found immortality via serum in his last bout with the Doom Patrol.

I suspect the Phantom Stranger's knowledge of the 13 may have been intended as a clue that he's a member.

That's 13. Any other suggestions?

Oh, former members might include Element Girl and the Immortal Man.


TJB

> > Who are the other 12 immortals other than Ivo that he spoke of? I have no idea who the others are.
> >
> > > Who are the other 12 immortals other than Ivo that he spoke of? I have no idea who the others are.
>
> My guess is that the immortals don't include those who reincarnate automatically, or have immortality through cloning, or a device. Rather, it only includes those who are immortal and unkillable through a property that they themselves have granted to them intrensically. This eliminates beings like Hawkman, Swamp Thing, the Green Lantern Adam, Ras Al Ghul (whose Lazarus-inspired immortality doesn't count since it requires continues use of the Pit), and a few others. For purposes of winnowing the list further, I'm also going to cut out mystical beings like Uncle Sam, who are not human.
>

Problem is that there much more than 13 immortals running around.

> As such, we're left with knowing about the following potentials:
>
> Professor Ivo (confirmed)
>
> The Phantom Stranger's comments seem to imply that Red Tornado was one, since his body continually repairs.
>

Problem is, aside from being an android and thus not really human before his transformation, the Red Tornado is also an elemental same as Swamp Thing, so he should be excluded.

> Vandal Savage (almost certainly)

Has to constantly repair his body, by using transplants from his decendants. Doesn't come across as that immortal.


> Resurrection Man (whose own series named him as taking the Immortal Man's place, which goes well with the concept that Meltzer is showing us.)
>

Makes kinda sense.


> Deathstroke, who is immortal from a US Government created serum.
>

Actually it was Chesire boosting the effects of his healfactor, which made him immortal.

> The Ravager, who, according to Johns, has been treated with the same serum.
>

Even if that is true(the original serum was stated to be destroyed/lost), she didn't get an enhancement like her Daddy. Or was she given a bloodtransfusion as well?

> Damien Darkh, who was also exposed to the same serum via blood transfusion.
>

But Deathstroke's wife Addie got the same deal and still died.
The question remains, if that is the same kind of immortality.

> Metamorpho (who can't die without Ra specifically removing his power, just like with Element Girl. It's generally immortal by the same idea that Ivo is, so...)
>

Element Girl died and so did another metamorph. Death said, that she and Rex had witnessed his destruction, which goes against them being truly immortal.

> The Forever Man, from Warlord #79 fits all the criteria we've set, but may not count, since he's not on the Earthly plane anymore. He became immortal on Earth though, so maybe he does count.
>
> Miss America (who Freedom Fighters recently revealed doesn't age and never had. She still may not be immortal though, so she's a maybe.)
>
> Davy Tenzer, an immortal boy who met Green Arrow and Black Canary in ACTION #450-452.
>
> General Immortus, who finally found immortality via serum in his last bout with the Doom Patrol.
>
> I suspect the Phantom Stranger's knowledge of the 13 may have been intended as a clue that he's a member.
>

Except he is a mystic being. Hinted to be a fallen angel.

> That's 13. Any other suggestions?
>
> Oh, former members might include Element Girl and the Immortal Man.
>
>
> TJB

Maybe we should be less restrict and do include mystic beings. I think it boils down to: Who lives forever and is pretty impossible to kill?


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Windows 98
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2022 by Comicboards/TVShowboards. Software Copyright © 2003-2022 Powermad Software