Justice Society of America >> View Post
·
Post By
Talezite

In Reply To
Beowulf

Subj: Power girl as the Chairperson
Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 at 02:25:49 pm EDT
Reply Subj: Re: Some thoughts on "Justice Society of America" #4 (I'm still enjoying the title!) [SPOI
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 at 12:44:12 pm EDT

Previous Post

> > > The only thing I'm not sure about is Power Girl as Chairwoman, I just don't think it will work for her character (of course, it doesn''t help that I'm not fond of the character anyway), I would be MUCH more interested in seeing Stargirl as the chairwoman, given how much she has matured whilst she has been with the JSA. Power Girl as chairwoman doesn't work for me, simply because I consider her a scrapper, and a powerhouse but NOT chairwoman material. I'm also not sure about Jesse's power level, and I would like Geoff take some time to define that as well as establish exactly how long they have been married. (It's a mibor detail, but it would add to the characters for me.)
> >
> > Power Girl does seem to be a little hot-headed to be leader, but I think the idea is that the other veterans (Scott, Jay, and Ted) are stepping back and Power Girl has seniority after them. Now that she's seemingly back to full Kryptonian levels, she may well be the most powerful person on the team. Narratively, it will be interesting to have her struggle in the leadership position as she learns the ropes.
>
> I can understand why Jay, Alan and Ted don't want to act as chairman again, what I don't get is why it wasn't offered to Sand(man) again, he did an excellent job last time, and if not him why not Hawkman or Hourman, or even Jesse Chambers 9Liberty Bell) they all have experience over Kara (as leaders, and as heroes).
>
> > Stargirl would be a far odder choice as chair. That would be like Kitty Pryde leading the X-Men.
>
> I don't see the logic there at all, the reason Alan gave for Kara to take over as the chairwoman is that she is the first of the new generation of heroes, but I disagree with that, I would argue that Courtey was and, whilst she *is* a teenager, she has the maturity to act as chairwoman, even now (she's certainly experienced enough, IMHO)
>
> Cheers.
>
> James.

Not really, she still IS a teenager. PeGEE has far more life-experience as hero and woman than Courtney, no matter if she is the best choice for the job, or not. Leading involves far more than just yelling: CHARGE!

As it is at the moment, Courtney is just slightly ahead of Maxine Hunkel and Wildcat jr. And even the latter is probably more mature than her.

> > > > The only thing I'm not sure about is Power Girl as Chairwoman, I just don't think it will work for her character (of course, it doesn''t help that I'm not fond of the character anyway), I would be MUCH more interested in seeing Stargirl as the chairwoman, given how much she has matured whilst she has been with the JSA. Power Girl as chairwoman doesn't work for me, simply because I consider her a scrapper, and a powerhouse but NOT chairwoman material. I'm also not sure about Jesse's power level, and I would like Geoff take some time to define that as well as establish exactly how long they have been married. (It's a mibor detail, but it would add to the characters for me.)
> > >
> > > Power Girl does seem to be a little hot-headed to be leader, but I think the idea is that the other veterans (Scott, Jay, and Ted) are stepping back and Power Girl has seniority after them. Now that she's seemingly back to full Kryptonian levels, she may well be the most powerful person on the team. Narratively, it will be interesting to have her struggle in the leadership position as she learns the ropes.
> >
> > I can understand why Jay, Alan and Ted don't want to act as chairman again, what I don't get is why it wasn't offered to Sand(man) again, he did an excellent job last time, and if not him why not Hawkman or Hourman, or even Jesse Chambers 9Liberty Bell) they all have experience over Kara (as leaders, and as heroes).
> >
> > > Stargirl would be a far odder choice as chair. That would be like Kitty Pryde leading the X-Men.
> >
> > I don't see the logic there at all, the reason Alan gave for Kara to take over as the chairwoman is that she is the first of the new generation of heroes, but I disagree with that, I would argue that Courtey was and, whilst she *is* a teenager, she has the maturity to act as chairwoman, even now (she's certainly experienced enough, IMHO)
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > James.
>
> Not really, she still IS a teenager. PeGEE has far more life-experience as hero and woman than Courtney, no matter if she is the best choice for the job, or not. Leading involves far more than just yelling: CHARGE!
>
> As it is at the moment, Courtney is just slightly ahead of Maxine Hunkel and Wildcat jr. And even the latter is probably more mature than her.

I think that Power girl is an interesting choice based on that I want to see where they are going to take this. Maybe in older stories she demonstrated leadership abilities but in the newer stories I have read she seems very headstrong, but sometimes that is not a bad thing. If the team has to go against someone like a Black Adam I would not think they would not want to hold back, my point is that being a leader requires some level of balance and I would like to see how the responsibilities of leadership affects PG and her characterization. I think that now she seems to have full level Kyptonian abilities that will make he a capable leader phyically, but I honestly have a hard time understanding her power levels. Maybe thats just the various writers takes on her over the years or an evolution of her powers. I am uncertain.

good reading to all


Posted with Mozilla Firefox 1.5.0.11 on Windows XP
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2018 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2018 by Alvaro Ortiz and Dave Galanter. Software Copyright © 2003-2018 Powermad Software