I'm rather surprised at the way some characters are portrayed, and the way a lot of the younger characters are continuously drawn making awkward, geeky, and juvenile expressions. If this is how this book will continue, and I'll give it a few more issues, No Thanks.
There's no reason that younger people have to be portrayed as weird, unsophisticated idiots.
I can't beleive that the Bengal, for instance, needs to be treated like a moron by his 'drill instructor,' a parody straight out of An Officer and A Gentleman, or that, seeing the way the others are being treated in some cases, that Stingray would stand casually by and receive similar orders.
And after what Triathlon went through in outer space with the 3-D Man and the Triune Understanding culprits at the end of Kurt's run, I hardly think he needs to be 'drafted' at this level.
I'm no fan of Slott's writing so far either, but I'm giving this book a few more issues to come around and start treating itself with respect.
But if it's a Generation X knock-off, I'll drop it.
Sad to think that Ultimo battled Iron Man for MUtime years to a stand-still, and here he's giving the Mighty Avengers a run for their money, and then some dinkbat named Armory takes him down in one blast (and puts a hole right through him, a big one), even though Ms. Marvel has just said Ultimo's armor is 'nearly indestructible.'
Is Slott thinking this all through, or just drumming it all up in the tub while collecting a fat paycheck?
I don't know why Geoff Johns had this odd notion to turn Gyrich into this noble and doe eyed government agent in his AVENGERS run. I read that and looked at some of my back issues and was like, WTF?!? Thankfully Fabian had the chance to write Gyrich as he should be during his all too short appearences in NEW THUNDERBOLTS. It's not a shock to see Gyrich do what he did in this issue, it's all in character for the guy who advocated PROJECT: WIDE AWAKE and who helped strip Captain America of his uniform.
- Is The Initative Supposed to Be A Youth/Kiddy Book? [SPOILERS] · Tiger Shark · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 03:18:20 pm EDT
- No, it's a classic "wrongfoot" writer's trick... [SPOILERS] · Omar Karindu · Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 04:20:05 pm EDT
- I was dissapointed in the first issue [SPOILERS] · Dr. Shallot · Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 11:14:56 am EDT
- You Know I Just Have To Put My Two Cents In.... [SPOILERS] · Attok12 · Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 09:25:59 am EDT
- and not in a cool all ages way like Runaways [SPOILERS] · Obstreperous · Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 03:57:21 am EDT
- Least he writes Gyrich right! [SPOILERS] · vanhelsin · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 11:32:53 pm EDT
- I loved it [SPOILERS] · clayton · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 09:12:46 pm EDT
- Didn't care for it at all [SPOILERS] · spiderprince · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 07:33:04 pm EDT
- I mostly agree, but a single "Byrne Steal" is all this is worth. Blech! · BlakGard · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 06:36:53 pm EDT
- Thought the same thing when Caselli or however you spell it was announced as the artist nt · punishment · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 06:15:25 pm EDT
- wow. I just finished reading this and came to post my thoughts here... · Jovian · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 04:30:08 pm EDT