This series so far is basically trying to prove that the anti-registration folk were right. The government is shown as completely totalitarian. Gyrich (who was never a likeable) person recruits Gauntlet who is the definition of a *&^**ing (&&^ (don't try to figure out what it means). The New Warriors are completely disrespected (at least Justice said something, but Rage was surprisingly quiet) and their name dragged through the mud. Sure I agree that they messed up, but did everyone conveniently forget all the good that they had done?
The purpose of the book is completely defeated as one of the recruits dies on the first day (ironically he was one of the only of the new characters that I even remotely cared for) and then everyone covers it up and acts like nothing happened. Its too out there, and especially considering that these are kids we are talking about, it didn't sit well with me.
This issue just left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't mind Slott, I don't see why everyone is so nuts about him as his Thing was just ok. His GLA was pretty funny but I never liked his She Hulk (Spider-Man/Human Torch was great though). This issue just didn't do it for me. It showed off everything wrong with the registration act, which imo really shouldn't be the point of the story (especially not so soon) and didn't cast any of the characters in a positive light (except for one who got offed before the issue ended). This issue just left a bad taste in my mouth. I'll pick up the next one but if the series continues as is I will drop it.
You took the words right out of my mouth... Since I couldn't afford most of the books this week, I decided to buy this one just because I wanted to see some info on the Initiative... Yet, after they did what they did to the only character I felt a little emotion invested for, it put me in a bad mood that I can't shake off... I'll pick up the next issue though maybe so I can get a bit of closure...
- Is The Initative Supposed to Be A Youth/Kiddy Book? [SPOILERS] · Tiger Shark · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 03:18:20 pm EDT
- No, it's a classic "wrongfoot" writer's trick... [SPOILERS] · Omar Karindu · Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 04:20:05 pm EDT
- I was dissapointed in the first issue [SPOILERS] · Dr. Shallot · Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 11:14:56 am EDT
- You Know I Just Have To Put My Two Cents In.... [SPOILERS] · Attok12 · Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 09:25:59 am EDT
- and not in a cool all ages way like Runaways [SPOILERS] · Obstreperous · Thu Apr 05, 2007 at 03:57:21 am EDT
- Least he writes Gyrich right! [SPOILERS] · vanhelsin · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 11:32:53 pm EDT
- I loved it [SPOILERS] · clayton · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 09:12:46 pm EDT
- Didn't care for it at all [SPOILERS] · spiderprince · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 07:33:04 pm EDT
- I mostly agree, but a single "Byrne Steal" is all this is worth. Blech! · BlakGard · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 06:36:53 pm EDT
- Thought the same thing when Caselli or however you spell it was announced as the artist nt · punishment · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 06:15:25 pm EDT
- wow. I just finished reading this and came to post my thoughts here... · Jovian · Wed Apr 04, 2007 at 04:30:08 pm EDT