|Eighties and Nineties Message Board >> View Post|
Subj: Re: MacGyver...did you know that the pilot episode was......
Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 at 01:21:01 pm EST (Viewed 9 times)
Reply Subj: Re: MacGyver...did you know that the pilot episode was......
Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 at 11:23:46 pm EST (Viewed 101 times)
Well the Alan Smithee alias was used when the director could prove to the Motion Picture Association that they had minimal control over a project and/or the project turned out to be rather poor. I think it has been discontinued fora few years now.
However in regards to the first episode of MacGyver, it was fun to watch, yet we are given basically no background on any of the characters, we are just thrown into the action.
The directing and editing felt choppy at times and then there was of course some of the stuff that MacGyver was doing such as:
1. Damaging the barrel of a flare gun so that it would act as a mini rocket thruster. I think Mythbusters would have fun trying that.
2. Cutting off nozzle from a fire hose then twisting a knot into front of hose and burying it under a girder then turning on water so the pressure would build and inflate the hose and lift the girder up so that it could be pushed out of the way. Now that I can see working.
3. Using chocolate candy bars to plug a leak in a tank of sulfuric acid. Now from a chemical standpoint, yes the sugars in the candy should react to the acid and form a foam substance that would plug the leak for a time. However he had the woman he was rescuing stand on his shoulders right next to the big tank and she was sticking the candy bars into the crack in the tank barehanded and neither was wearing any type of protection from fumes or the acid itself......now what's wrong with that picture?
4. Using a lens of a binocular to reflect a laser sensor beam back to its source....plausible.
5. The plot: a scientist working on how tinker with the ozone layer to make it rain has learned that his work could be weaponized and wipe out the ozone and hence the Earth. So instead of just wiping his data files he invites his colleague who also is into the research to the base where they resume their chessmatch. Right before the bomb goes off the guy says he is sorry and they are trapped in the lab. The plan was to have the explosion kill them both as well as wipe out the work....kind of a weak plan. Just wipe the data banks and destroy the backups and then refuse to continue the work. But no, committing murder and destruction of govt property is so much better.
Luckily the series gets better after some episodes
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 27.0 on Windows 7
|Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software|