Quote:I thought about Kasper Cole : could he be the first Marvel masked superhero who happens to be also an active policeman ? Or are there Golden Age, Silver Age or Bronze Age characters who would fit the definition ?
Quote: I wonder who could be the first :
- Misty Knight is a former policewoman
- Angela Del Toro is a former policewoman & FBI special agent
- Lucas Bishop was an active policeman in his original timeline but only became an active policeman on Earth-616 much later
- None of the "big names" worked for the police (FF, Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, Namor, X-Men ...)
- Captain Britain is a member of the CB Corps but they are not really policemen
- The Golden Age Vision was an alien law enforcement officer but he was not an active policeman on Earth
- Also, during the Golden Age, the Witness is a former Chicago detective but he is no longer an active policeman when he becomes a superhero.
- Captain America ?
- The Golden Age Human Torch ?
Captain America was a rookie NYPD officer for quite a while in the 1970s, and by all appearances the issue you link to is the one where that phase started. (One of the funnier things about that phase was that Cap would hide his shield under his uniform, but then that was one of the weird things about the shield - small enough to be hidden beneath a shirt or jacket, yet big enough to protect the entire body if necessary - ever since Kirby drew him).
Back in the Golden Age, the Human Torch for a while assumed a double ID as Jim Hammond, a New York policeman (it's mentioned here:
under "Early Life").
This situation is very similar to that of minor Timely hero Dynamic Man (who debuted in Mystic Comics #1 in 1940)
He was an android superhero who also worked as an FBI agent (federal police officer) using the name Curt Cowan.
The Golden Age Betsy Ross (briefly Captain America's crimefighting partner as Golden Girl) was an ex-FBI agent.
Over at DC, Barry Allen was a police scientist and AFAIK continued to work as one when he became the Silver Age Flash.
She was probably not the first, but Monica Rambeau was a police captain in her first appearance. Hence the "Captain" part of her original Captain Marvel codename.