Amazing Spider-Man Message Board >> View Post
·
Post By
Joe

In Reply To
Peter

Subj: Re: Not to get into an off-topic debate but...
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 at 09:04:53 am EST
Reply Subj: "Something About A Gun" :)
Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 at 08:38:50 am EST

Previous Post

> ...if this 'August Big Deal' has anything to do with Spider-Man, my guess is it won't have anything to do with his past, but his present.
>
> He's working as a school teacher.
>
> Schools. What's everyone all up in arms about happening in Schools.

I'm up in arms about that anywhere. Guns suck, let's melt them to slag. I'm serious \:\)

>
> I mean, if you're gonna be topical, BE TOPICAL. Peter's job in a school is a perfect way to work it into a story, and a perfect way to remind people who Peter was, by having him conflicted about what lead up to the incident.

Exactly, he should probably loathe guns as much as Batman does. (Of course, so should anyone who *hasn't* lost anyone because of them yet)

And considering two years ago they messed with the programming of Buffy because of those shootings, I can see this being controversial. It certainly was when the Batman one-shot came out, a lot of fans were disgusted with the anti-gun view, if I remember well. Tough ninnies on them...

Besides, Peter working in a school where nobody carries guns would be about as hard to believe as one of us acquiring Spidey-powers for really real ;\)

>
> That said, it may have nothing to do with existing characters.

Or it's just hype. Quemas love hype.

>
> I have a feeling everyone's wrong.

I'm always wrong in how I'm right \:p

>
> I have a constant feeling that Rich Johnston is always wrong, and when he's right it's just dumb luck,

Hee ;\)
He's only giving it two stars or whatever in likeliness, so I'm thinking this particular rumour is as wrong as they come.

The real controversy will hopefully be something tasteful and important. Not something pointless and contrived and Springerish. I wonder if that word'll make it in the dictionary...

Toodles

--Peter, feeling happy (because life is lovely *happy sigh* \:\)

Guns killing people is like saying matches causes arson. It's the people that are doing it. If there was some way to take away all the guns in the world I'd be for it. There's not though. I like knowing I can bear arms if I wish. I have no desire to go out and shoot anyone nor do I want to be put in any kind of situation that involves guns. I imagine I'd just wet my pants anyway.

> > ...if this 'August Big Deal' has anything to do with Spider-Man, my guess is it won't have anything to do with his past, but his present.
> >
> > He's working as a school teacher.
> >
> > Schools. What's everyone all up in arms about happening in Schools.
>
> I'm up in arms about that anywhere. Guns suck, let's melt them to slag. I'm serious \:\)

What a lot of guns are used for sucks. Guns can be fun though too. When used right. Now sure there's no practical reason to have guns. The same could be said for throwing darts or playing football though. About the only thing I've ever done with guns is target practice. Usually on junk out in the middle of nowhere. We're also very very careful with the guns. There's no pointing at other people, no saying "the gun is empty", no handing the gun to someone if the safety is off. Common sense stuff any kid w/a brain should be taught.

If someone's lost someone because of gun violence I might see why they'd have a hatred for guns. The gun can't pull its own trigger though. It's more about keeping the guns out of the wrong people's hands then its about the guns themselves. That's just my opinion though.

> >
> > I mean, if you're gonna be topical, BE TOPICAL. Peter's job in a school is a perfect way to work it into a story, and a perfect way to remind people who Peter was, by having him conflicted about what lead up to the incident.
>
> Exactly, he should probably loathe guns as much as Batman does. (Of course, so should anyone who *hasn't* lost anyone because of them yet)

From Peter's point of view and living in the big city I agree. He should definately be anti-gun.

>
> And considering two years ago they messed with the programming of Buffy because of those shootings, I can see this being controversial. It certainly was when the Batman one-shot came out, a lot of fans were disgusted with the anti-gun view, if I remember well. Tough ninnies on them...

Hollywood seems very anti-gun yet action movies having people getting blown away still get made. There's a lot of variety out there though.

>
> Besides, Peter working in a school where nobody carries guns would be about as hard to believe as one of us acquiring Spidey-powers for really real ;\)

Nowadays definately.

>
> >
> > That said, it may have nothing to do with existing characters.
>
> Or it's just hype. Quemas love hype.

True. Maybe Spidey will get a new costume again. I think the black costume made headlines back then. Or maybe a sex change. That would spark some contravesry.

>
> >
> > I have a feeling everyone's wrong.
>
> I'm always wrong in how I'm right \:p
>
> >
> > I have a constant feeling that Rich Johnston is always wrong, and when he's right it's just dumb luck,
>
> Hee ;\)
> He's only giving it two stars or whatever in likeliness, so I'm thinking this particular rumour is as wrong as they come.

Yeah. That 2 stars really helped. \:\-\)

>
> The real controversy will hopefully be something tasteful and important. Not something pointless and contrived and Springerish. I wonder if that word'll make it in the dictionary...

It might. Should we start a petition to get it in?

>
> Toodles
>
> --Peter, feeling happy (because life is lovely *happy sigh* \:\)


Posted with Microsoft Internet Explorer 5 on Windows 98
Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2022 Powermad Software
All the content of these boards Copyright © 1996-2022 by Comicboards/TVShowboards. Software Copyright © 2003-2022 Powermad Software