The story went like this:
1. She quit superheroing because she wanted a normal life.
2. A few nights later, she was sitting on a park bench and a group of guys approached her.
3. One guy was romantically interested in her, and the two flirted a bit.
4. BUT he got too handsy and didn't take no for an answer.
5. She WOLFED out on him. Given her history, this was entirely in character for her.
6. The four guys proceeded to beat her to death while she curled into a fetal position, doing nothing but dying. She didn't defend herself. She didn't even try to escape, even though it would have been a cinch for her.
To be honest, I'm not surprised about the transgender thing. There are tons of people that view all mutants as a metaphor for sexuality/gender stuff. No doubt these are the same people that lashed out when she physically attacked Shatterstar for stealing Rictor from her, like it was gaybashing. I don't really buy the transgender thing, even though I can see it, since it inolves a morphological change.
I don't get the transgender thing either. I'd think anyone would be upset if this was a favorite character and they killed her off this pathetically. It's like the Human Torch being knocked into a coma with a beer bottle or something.
Sounds like a combination of suicide by thug and uninspired writing.