|X-Universe >> View Post|
Subj: Re: New Mutants Movie Question
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 at 06:12:51 pm EDT (Viewed 105 times)
Reply Subj: New Mutants Question
Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 at 03:40:41 pm EDT (Viewed 151 times)
I enjoyed it, even more than I've enjoyed any non-Deadpool X-Men movie since X2.
However, it was a weak attempt.
1. I don't think the lead (Dani) had the gravitas to hold the role. They hired this actress from her having only one role on her resume. I think that was a big mistake.
Not that the writing was great...
2. The Demon Bear story was nowhere near as impressive as the Saga we had in the books. It wasn't an actual demon or that big of a threat in the end.
3. The guys (Sam and Berto) get almost no screen time.
4. They turned Cecilia Reyes into a villain (and lackey of the still absent Sinister).
5. Yeah, more Sinister hints that go nowhere. I really wish they had made him the villain doctor of the movie.
Illyana was awesome and in total b**** mode for a good portion of the movie. Arguably overboard, but I really loved it.
Rahne was actually pretty good, because she's a lot more emotionally strong than she is in the books. However, this goes back to my Dani complaint, who is not even close to the strong leader she is/was in the books. Rahne sort of mentors Dani, rather than the opposite like in the books.
Movie starts with the Demon Bear destroying DDani's hometown, and killing her parents. She's shipped off to Dr. Reyes' innstitute where she meets the other kids.
Yana is sort of the defacto leader of the kids, and I guess needlessly feels kind of threatened by Dani. She immediately starts bullying Dani, even with some Native American insults. Rahne befriends Dani, and eventually the two become lovers. Sam and Berto don't really do much. Sam is a lot weaker than in the books. He even has broken bones from crashing into things. Berto gets like one scene (sexy scene with Yana in a pool) where we learn his story (burned his girlfriend when they first kissed).
All of the kids are contained at the institution by Reyes' forcefield. We learn she's working with Sinister. And ultimately, she chooses to kill Dani rather than try to get her to control her powers. This leads to the final battle with the Demon Bear destroying the institution and killing Reyes. The Bear, it turns out, is just a childhood imaginary friend and symbol of Dani's fear. So, Dani just softly talks the Bear into oblivion and the kids walks off into the sunset.
City of Heroes is BACK!
Posted with Mozilla Firefox 80.0 on Windows 10
|Alvaro's Comicboards powered by On Topic™ © 2003-2020 Powermad Software|